Author Topic: PG..what if?  (Read 2114 times)

Re: PG..what if?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2019, 01:27:32 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I'd like to keep Rozier if Kyrie leaves. I think Rozier will play better as a starter and continue to develop as an overall player. He will be an asset moving forward.
I agree..
I am ready to move on from Rozier. this season was just too frustrating.

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2019, 01:27:54 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
If the market for Rozier is reasonable, I think Danny will probably re-sign him, if only to use him as a trade asset later.  Personally I'd be thrilled to see him go, but I can also see the strategic value in retaining him if his contract makes him easily tradeable.
This would be the only reason I could see him resigned.  his play this year has been abysmal.   purely out for his own numbers to get a big contract next year and it not only backfired badly on him but on the C's as well.

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2019, 01:35:30 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
I'd like to keep Rozier if Kyrie leaves. I think Rozier will play better as a starter and continue to develop as an overall player. He will be an asset moving forward.

I don't see it. He has been horrible. Not bad, Horrible. I would prefer they pick up or draft anyone else.

I have no desire to see him in a Celtics uniform next year. Wannamaker could start before his as far as I'm concerned.

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2019, 01:35:49 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Using past behavior, I suggest Ainge will not "spend money" on a point guard.

If he can sign Irving? He certainly will, but this thread is post Irving.

Others have this data, but, Rozier's signing number will be too high for the team Ainge wants to construct.

I don't think Stevens would start Smart at PG, but, stranger things have happened and worked out well.

My guess if Irving leaves, Ainge gets a good veteran PG who "fits" and spends money on a front court...since he doesn't have one and has been getting his butt kicked by a team that does.

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2019, 01:50:55 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

I don't. In my opinion, I think he sucks.

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2019, 02:04:02 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I have read over and over that if Kyrie leaves there is no money....

So shouldn't this thread be full of trade ideas if not running back as is minus Kyrie? 

If no trades....Smart is fine as starting PG, especially with Hayward's skills....
If Rozier is kept, then he's better off starting.

Rozier, Smart, Wannamaker
Brown, Smart
Hayward, Tatum
Tatum, Horford
Horford, Baynes, Williams

Don't mind seeing what this group can do.... but also threw out the Tatum trade idea a few posts back....to improve the defense.

http://tradenba.com/trades/H15CGFx2N

Ball, Smart, Wannamaker
Smart, Torrey Craig
Brown, Hayward, Craig, Ojeleye
Hayward, Morris, Hernangomez
Horford, Baynes, Williams

I was not a fan of Ball (and especially not father), but he's a good guy and word is that his defense was excellent.  His father will be distracted by Lamelo after next year's draft....and will calm down with his son far away...

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2019, 02:04:15 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
So this is not about What If we traded for Paul George?

What if we did traded a bunch of scraps for Paul George OR Jimmy Butler, and not sign Hayward to a max contract.

The Celtics would have been set.

Set to lose in 2nd round to Milwaukee or Toronto.

Seeing Jimmy Butler and Paul George balling out this year, I feel more confident either one would've taken the C's to the promise land than 2ppg Gordon Hayward. They would've destroyed Milwaukee for sure and made the Raptors work hard for it.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2019, 02:10:33 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
So this is not about What If we traded for Paul George?

What if we did traded a bunch of scraps for Paul George OR Jimmy Butler, and not sign Hayward to a max contract.

The Celtics would have been set.

Set to lose in 2nd round to Milwaukee or Toronto.

Seeing Jimmy Butler and Paul George balling out this year, I feel more confident either one would've taken the C's to the promise land than 2ppg Gordon Hayward. They would've destroyed Milwaukee for sure and made the Raptors work hard for it.

I'll admit that I've also been very critical of Hayward's play this year and fell extremely short of expectations. I also feel he deserves a huge part of the blame pie along with everyone else (players, Brad, etc.)

HOWEVER, having said that, I do believe Hayward is a better player than Butler and George. Sounds crazy, but if you watch George and Butler, they do the same thing as Kyrie. They just shoot and shoot and shoot, even if the ball is denting the rim.

When Hayward comes back next year with 2 years removed from his injury, reclaims his stating position and plays a FAR bigger role in our offense, I think we'll see a vastly improved player.

He's been very frustrating to watch, but I also don't think he's this bad and feel his better days in Boston are ahead of him.

I also think Hayward is a smarter player than Butler and George.

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2019, 03:01:50 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
If Kyrie leaves ... how about we trade Hayward plus a pick for Westbrook??
Maybe Stevens can fix Westbrook

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2019, 03:23:37 PM »

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
If Kyrie leaves, and that looks like a high chance now, you better hope Hayward gets over his mental block and become the player they paid a max contract to. You also need to hope Brown and Tatum keep improving. Those would be your core players just fill around them and after next year Al’s contract is up leaving space to sign another max whoever that may be. So in 2 years, an improved Hayward, Brown, Tatum and another max player has the makings of being a contending team. If Kyrie walks its not the end of the world.

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2019, 03:45:36 PM »

Online otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 124
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
Banner18now - No $ to sign any free agent in two years -  let alone a max FA.

Your scenario assumes C's are keeping GH, JB, and JT....

Jaylen will be up for a big new contract next summer (he will a RFA)

Ditto for Jayson the following summer (2021).

If Gordon opts in next at 34.2 million next summer (why wouldn't he?), he will be do a new contract (for less $) in summer of 2021 as well.

C's may be able to navigate under the lux tax threshold in summer of 2021, but they will not be anywhere near the lower salary cap figure, let alone below that by 28 million - in order to sign 0 -6 yr max FA

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2019, 04:10:45 PM »

Offline zeitgeist49

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 19
I truly believe that in the long run, the Celts will be better off without Kyrie, with one exception. If the Celts trade for AD, then Irving is Robin again. The role suits him much better than trying to be a team leader. His off the court antics and his poor playoff performance have been a disaster. I don't think it's a coincidence that the Celts performed better in the playoffs without Kyrie last year.  Perhaps in 3-4 years, Kyrie matures and can become a team leader somewhere. I wouldn't bet on it though. If both Irving and Rozier leave, the Celts could be in trouble. They don't have the money to sign a quality PG and Smart certainly isn't a starting point guard on a championship contender. I am confident that next year Rozier, if he's not with the Celtics, will have a breakout year and average 20ppg.