Author Topic: Never forget: Celtics fans wanted Pierce gone after 2005 playoffs performance  (Read 3585 times)

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
For those of you who might not remember 14 years ago...

The Celtics were playing the Pacers in the playoffs in 2005. In the last moments of regulation of game 6, with the Celtics leading by 1 and with possession, Pierce elbowed Jamal Tinsley after the whistle for his second technical foul of the game. It was an egregious moment of lack of self-discipline that nearly cost the Celtics the game, had it not been for the team rallying in OT. As he left the arena after his ejection, he taunted the Pacers crowd by spinning his jersey above his head, bare chested. Of course, after the game, Pierce came out in his infamous face bandage for the post-game interview, mocking the whole episode. No contrition, no self-awareness, nothing.

(Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbwm2tolAHo)
(Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yroYIQiAQyI)

Many of us, myself included, wanted Pierce out of town. Honestly, if you didn't experience this whole thing live, I'm not sure I can explain how infuriating it was, especially given Pierce's existing reputation. It was disgusting. Sure, he was an offensive marvel, but he had proved himself immature, self-absorbed, and everything but a winner.

Pierce's age at the time: 27 years old. That is, the same age as Kyrie Irving now.

Always remember this chapter in Celtics history when you think about Irving. Ainge was level-headed after 2005 -- thankfully, more level-headed than any of us -- and stuck with Pierce. It's a good thing he did. He matured, turned into a leader, and won the Finals MVP a couple of years later.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Yup. Most fans are too overreacting to be a good gm

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
TP for this. Pierce was a very polarising figure for quite some time. Genius with ball in hand, but definitely prone to immature outbursts early in his career. However, he settled down and figured it all out.

I hope Kyrie can do the same, because he has all the talent in the world.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Plus don't forget most fans wanted to keep pierce as a celtic forever without trading him.... It "feels good"

However we wouldn't have Tatum +brown + kyrie + kings pick if we didnt pull that trigger

Basically what I'm saying is fans wanted to Get rid of him at the worst time and keep him at the worst time

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I've been trying to say this to my friend who refuses to acknowledge that Pierce wasn't always the "perfect" Celtic.  I don't have much confidence in Kyrie to change his attitude but I'm willing to withhold judgement until we see how the off-season goes.  There's no better time to reflect than the off-season.

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
What's especially important to note is that Pierce wasn't that young at the time. Again, he was 27, the same age as Irving now. He'd been in the league for seven years and had established himself well before that as a star. And yet he was far from developing, both in terms of his game and as a leader.

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Big difference being that Kyrie can walk for nothing this season while Pierce was under contract and could've been moved for assets if Ainge had been inclined. 

I do remember much of the sports radio outrage towards Pierce after those '05 playoffs, though.  It wasn't pretty and not too unlike what is happening right now.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Nice post and perspective, TP.

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Pierce did turn it around, but it wasn't a great bet at the time that he would do so. Ainge took that bet because he didn't have another good hand to play.

What Pierce did was bad, but it did not seem at the time that his relationship with his teammates was consistently poor.

Just an opinion, but I see only one scenario where Kyrie succeeds in Boston. We get an MVP candidate player  (and AD is the only likely option) and Kyrie develops the necessary chemistry with him. AD is not wired like LeBron. He will need more from Kyrie than LeBron did.

I just don't like the idea of us having a really good group of young players, and selling them all off on a bet that we bag AD and Kyrie turns into a leader and a bridge builder in one year. It's true Pierce did it, but he got pretty lucky. AD is super talented, but he isn't the competitive force and leader Garnett was.

If we sign Kyrie but don't get AD, I don't see much hope that Kyrie will work out. If AD comes and leaves, the team is in ruins.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Plus don't forget most fans wanted to keep pierce as a celtic forever without trading him.... It "feels good"

However we wouldn't have Tatum +brown + kyrie + kings pick if we didnt pull that trigger

Basically what I'm saying is fans wanted to Get rid of him at the worst time and keep him at the worst time

TP.  Well said.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Big difference being that Kyrie can walk for nothing this season while Pierce was under contract and could've been moved for assets if Ainge had been inclined. 

I do remember much of the sports radio outrage towards Pierce after those '05 playoffs, though.  It wasn't pretty and not too unlike what is happening right now.

Didn't Danny have a trade in place with Portland for the 3rd pick, which he would have used to draft Chris Paul, but Pierce said he wouldn't go? That was the rumor anyway.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The biggest difference is Celtics fans grew up with Pierce.  He came in to the league as a kid, and by 2005 he'd been with the team for more than half a decade.

Kyrie's been with the team for less than two years, and this is the first time he's represented the Celts in the playoffs.

You make a good point.  But I think it's also understandable that people have less emotional attachment and willingness to put up with Kyrie's immaturity.  I can say personally that he still doesn't really feel like "our guy."  I expect a lot of people feel the same, though I know many Celtics fans have embraced him.  Not sure if he's really embraced being a Celtic.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
All this is revisionist history...P was never that bad and Antoine was the one that everyone gave the Kyrie treatment disregarding what he was actually able to do simply because he starting shooting more 3's, and the walker wiggle.

Turning Pierce into the bad guy and trading Antoine is why I never really cared for Danny or his ways. He can really be a weasel when he wants to be.

Then Antoine goes on to contribute to winning a chip in Miami.

Danny is not as clever as yall think he is. He NEVER goes after the right players to compliment what he has, and then makes what he has the bad guy while he pats himself on the back for being able to fleece other teams thinking he's Red or something.

Revisionist bs...

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Interesting stuff, OP. Paul Pierce's earlier part of his career was before my time, so you only ever hear the positives.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
Interesting stuff, OP. Paul Pierce's earlier part of his career was before my time, so you only ever hear the positives.

That was because Danny started his character assasination on Paul and he got tired and frustrated about it that season.