Author Topic: Celtics Reddit Podcast -- Elite stars bend reality  (Read 1009 times)

Celtics Reddit Podcast -- Elite stars bend reality
« on: May 07, 2019, 09:42:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
On my way home from work today I was listening to the Celtics Reddit Podcast.

https://soundcloud.com/celticsredditpodcast

I wanted to give this podcast a shout out on here because in discussing last night's game and what thoughts they're having about the Celtics in view of the team getting crushed by the Bucks, they made some really excellent points about the nature and importance of true superstar players.

One of the podcasters -- I don't know the names of all of them very well -- basically said that truly elite superstars bend reality.  That would include guys like Giannis, LeBron, Durant, Kawhi, etc. 

By "bend reality" he meant that those stars sort of warp the perception of the game that their own teammates and their opponents have.  A teammate of Giannis simply knows that the Bucks aren't going to give up a huge run.  Giannis is going to find a way to get some points, one way or another.  They are going to have that consistent presence.  That gives the players on the team the freedom to play with confidence and composure.  They don't need to make a forced or rushed decision when the ball hasn't gone in the basket recently.

Essentially, if you don't have a superstar who does that for your team, it doesn't matter how many very good players you have.  When you run into a team that has that guy who bends reality, as long as the roster is built reasonably well around that guy, you're probably going to lose.

I think that's what happened to the Celts last year against LeBron, too, although the roster around him was far weaker than this Bucks roster.

As for Kyrie, they concluded, rightly I think, that Kyrie is simply not that level of player.  Do we have any reason to think he will be that player?  I kind of doubt it.

I think AD is probably that level of player.  The question of course is whether he can stay healthy and whether he would re-sign in Boston if the Celts traded for him.

Anyway, none of this is a new idea, exactly.  But I thought the way they put it was exactly spot on, and I'm not sure I'd heard somebody explain it in quite the way they did. 

Certainly I think it's fair to say that no matter how good Kyrie has been at times this season statistically -- and this goes  back to last season as well -- I dont' think we've ever seen this Celts team appear to hit another level in terms of their confidence and trust in one another.  For whatever reason, having Kyrie around doesn't instill that unassailable confidence that teams only seem to have when they know their main guy is completely reliable and impossible to stop.

At any rate, check out the podcast.  "Pro Bono Celtics Therapy" --- exactly what I needed today.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Celtics Reddit Podcast -- Elite stars bend reality
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 09:52:09 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I don’t think AD is that type of player you’re discussing ... he had properly built teams around him and went nowhere.
I think Kyrie plus AD plus another player from Paul pierce’s Caliber gets us there but that player has to be traded for .... Paul George or Siakam 🤷🏻‍♂️
This is how Celtics dominated 2007-2010 seasons and this is the only way for them to contend again

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 09:59:29 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I don’t think AD is that type of player you’re discussing ... he had properly built teams around him and went nowhere.
I think Kyrie plus AD plus another player from Paul pierce’s Caliber gets us there but that player has to be traded for .... Paul George or Siakam 🤷🏻‍♂️
This is how Celtics dominated 2007-2010 seasons and this is the only way for them to contend again
Rofl, there is no way you can say with a straight face that AD's teams were ever properly built. Alvin Gentry has been one of the most hopeless coaches over the last few seasons, and the Pelicans have literally had a starting quality wing alongside Davis pretty much never. Evans and Moore have played at the 3 for periods, but they're both guards.

Giving up on Buddy Hield so early was stupid, and their lack of shooting only exaggerates how premature it was.

I don't know where the notion that Davis has had good teams has come from, because he has not
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 10:31:26 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Makes sense, Pho. I mean, how else could a Cavs team whose second-best player was Larry Hughes get to the NBA Finals, other than by having LeBron?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 11:22:00 PM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
Rofl, there is no way you can say with a straight face that AD's teams were ever properly built. Alvin Gentry has been one of the most hopeless coaches over the last few seasons, and the Pelicans have literally had a starting quality wing alongside Davis pretty much never. Evans and Moore have played at the 3 for periods, but they're both guards.

Giving up on Buddy Hield so early was stupid, and their lack of shooting only exaggerates how premature it was.

I don't know where the notion that Davis has had good teams has come from, because he has not

Boogie for Hield was a steal on the hindsight. Even our own blog members were asking for Danny's head after "missing" out the Boogie trade.

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 11:24:36 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
I agree completely about the “bending reality” quality of nba elite superstars.

I feel the same way about performance enhancing drugs in basketball too, by the way. I think they’re probably rampant, and who uses what is a hidden determinant of what happens in terms of wins and losses, and probably goes a long way towards setting the narratives around the league.

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 05:08:06 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
How does Tim Duncan fit into this?

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 05:47:35 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
How does Tim Duncan fit into this?

I feel like he's a perfect example of a guy who was so incredibly solid and reliable on both ends that it had to provide a huge amount of confidence for his teammates.

Years came and went by still Timmy was there doing work on both ends like clockwork.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 12:00:11 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I've been on that podcast a couple times.  They do a great job.  They've asked me back, but I think my podcasting days are behind me.  I recommend checking them out if anyone hasn't already.