Author Topic: Otto Porter Jr?  (Read 2621 times)

Otto Porter Jr?
« on: February 27, 2024, 01:30:37 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Otto Porter Jr. is a potential buyout candidate, having returned home and been away from the Utah Jazz.

“The 30-year-old Porter…is fully healthy and ready to play, according to league sources. His options include accepting a contract buyout from the Jazz, which would allow him to sign with another team. Porter would have to sign with another team by March 1 to be eligible to play in the postseason.”

Tony Jones
The Athletic

———

Boston Celtics

Playoff Depth Chart

PG Holiday, Prichard

SG White, Springer

SF Brown, Hauser

PF Tatum, Tillman, Porter Jr

C  Porzingis, Horford, Kornet
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Otto Porter Jr?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2024, 01:52:39 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Assuming he is healthy, I'd absolultely sign him; makes more sense than Queta converson, we have enough depth at center position with Tillman being added.

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2024, 01:53:10 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Can’t believe he’s only 30, thought 37-38 lol..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2024, 02:45:07 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
He'd be a good fit and maybe even would play. If he's ring chasing he'd be in a really good spot.

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2024, 02:48:14 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I've been a fan for a long time, but I'd see him more as a potential player for next season rather than this one.  In the short term, I'm not sure that he should get minutes over Brissett.

Would he sign without a promise of minutes?  I'm a bit skeptical.  My guess is that if he's bought out he'll try to latch on with Golden State.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2024, 09:20:19 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
I've been a fan for a long time, but I'd see him more as a potential player for next season rather than this one.  In the short term, I'm not sure that he should get minutes over Brissett.

Would he sign without a promise of minutes?  I'm a bit skeptical.  My guess is that if he's bought out he'll try to latch on with Golden State.
Yeah, that's the problem. Brissett is a similar type of player and not really in the rotation right now. Porter is a better shooter but it's not even clear he can still play (between last year and this year in Toronto he's played a grand total of 320 minutes).

It's feeling more like Queta gets the bump and that's it. Which is fine by me.

1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2024, 07:07:37 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Would he sign without a promise of minutes?  I'm a bit skeptical. My guess is that if he's bought out he'll try to latch on with Golden State.
He would need to agree to that of course. It's an opportunity for a ring.

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2024, 07:59:36 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I like Tillman better than Otto Porter.

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2024, 08:46:16 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I don't think Joe is going to change the rotation he's had virtually the whole season to accommodate someone else and have him have to learn how to gel with the team with 20 games to go. If anything any addition is going to play a really minor role, some nights he's not going to play at all. So the first question is would Otto be ok with a Blake Griffin type role, where he's going to be on the bench most of the time and might play if Joe wants to give a team a different look.

Also, I don't think just signing someone and plugging him in to an established team that has a lot of chemistry already is as easy as people think, it's not a pickup game where they're freestyling...look at how Tillman is being used right now (as in he's not being used) when people expected he would be getting a lot of minutes and replace Kornet. I think Joe is settled in his top 9 with the starters, Al, PP, Hauser, Kornet and the first deep bench guy will be Brissett or Queta, and his challenge is how does he fit the new guys into that equation and have them playing at their best and in sync with 20 games to go. The rest of them will be just used when the game is in hand or out of hand, or if they want to give a team a different look or they need something specific.

Even if they sign someone who might individually be better than someone like Kornet or Brissett, that person has to make his teammates better, just not be better on his own, and when you're talking about marginal players I just don't see them getting a lot of playing time. I know everyone hates Luke but he knows his role, he knows how to play with the lineups he's put in with, and he's had the whole season to refine that. Same with Queta or even Brissett. Their value is not in their individual skill but in the way they already fit in with the stars of the team.

For a team like ours these players are insurance players. Now if Otto is willing to be a cheerleader and be selfless like Blake was, and is willing to sign for vet min, then sure. But buyout players usually want to play, given he's "ready to play", that's why they're willing to be bought out to begin with. As Roy mentioned if we did sign him it would be with a view to next season, which might not be what he would want. We really don't have any minutes for anyone.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2024, 07:24:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Has he been waived yet?  Today is the deadline.  He's been sent home from the team, so why not waive him?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2024, 07:53:51 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Would he sign without a promise of minutes?  I'm a bit skeptical. My guess is that if he's bought out he'll try to latch on with Golden State.
He would need to agree to that of course. It's an opportunity for a ring.

He already has a ring though. It's a good chance that's not his primary motivation anymore - if it ever was.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman