Author Topic: 23/24 Celtics vs. 16-18 Warriors Starting Lineups  (Read 4017 times)

23/24 Celtics vs. 16-18 Warriors Starting Lineups
« on: November 01, 2023, 09:44:39 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
I've been thinking about this a lot - it's still early, but this C's team reminds me a lot of the dominance of those KD/Curry Warriors team offensively. They just had so many weapons offensively that they were impossible to stop, and that's exactly what we've looked like offensively thus far.

But looking at this C's team, am I crazy to think that we're on par if not an even better/more unguardable starting unit than that Warriors team? If you compare the lineups and look at the early results, it sure does look like our starting lineup may edge out that Warriors lineup, particularly given the amount of shooting and lack of weak spots we have offensively. Yes, they have two of the best three individual scorers of the two teams in Curry and KD, though I think Tatum is right there with them. But given their shooting/scoring weaknesses in Green/Looney and the fact that Klay was primarily an assist guy who didn't get his own shot (compared to all five of our guys being able to score both individually and via the assist), I think we edge them out.

PG: Curry/Jrue
SG: Klay/White
SF: Durant/KD
PF: Green/Tatum
C: Looney/Porzingis

So what do you think? Is this an overreaction, or is this team that legit? Again, early in the season, and there's a lot that would have to go right for us to be as dominant as that Warriors team. But the early signs are looking good.

Re: 23/24 Celtics vs. 16-18 Warriors Starting Lineups
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 09:54:49 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Definitely thinking you're jumping the gun a bit. We are only 4 games in, after all. However, I'm in full agreement that our top 6 look truly elite, not just in talent but also in fit.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2023, 10:17:23 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Definitely thinking you're jumping the gun a bit. We are only 4 games in, after all. However, I'm in full agreement that our top 6 look truly elite, not just in talent but also in fit.

Agreed. Those Warriors teams were elite offensively and very good defensively, and we need a much larger sample size than 4 to really compare this team to them. I think there's a chance, though, which honestly says a lot about how good this team is
I'm bitter.

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2023, 10:58:01 PM »

Online CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
Why do we C's fans do this EVERY year? lol December through February things always change, maybe they won't this year but relax.

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2023, 03:03:19 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I don't see the elite fit on D. Most of our players excel in a switch-heavy scheme, whereas Porzingis is effective only in a drop scheme. He's hopeless when asked to defend the perimeter. No wonder he was a net negative in our win against the Heat (the only player on the team to be in the negatives). It may not be a big issue in the regular season, but I fully expect opposing teams to consistently attack him in the playoffs if we allow him to get exposed on the perimeter.

The offensive fit is awesome, can't argue with that!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 03:12:23 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2023, 06:15:42 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Curry and Durant were both better than Tatum is right now.  That is the bug difference.  The Warriors had arguabkybthe 2nd and 3rd best player in basketball.  Then Klay and Dray were top 25 or so players.  The Warriors simply had more talent than this team does. There is a reason the Warriors are considered among the handful of greatest teams ever.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2023, 07:26:16 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Why do we C's fans do this EVERY year? lol December through February things always change, maybe they won't this year but relax.

Because we have a great team every year and we’re excited! But if our starting lineup keeps getting to play 18 minutes a night together and puts up a net rating in the 30s, then yes, we will have a historically good team.

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2023, 07:46:24 AM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 487
I mean, I am already convinced we are going to go 74-8 this year.  8)
#JKJB

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2023, 07:48:01 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We'll see where were are at the end of the season.  As I recall, we started out as a historically good offense last year, too, before regressing somewhat.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2023, 08:43:15 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
We'll see where were are at the end of the season.  As I recall, we started out as a historically good offense last year, too, before regressing somewhat.

What I like this year is the team seems to be a better front-runner so far.  Last year we gave up huge leads all the time.  Game 4, for instance, was the one where we led by 19 mid-way through the first at Chicago and entered the 4th down 21, which is a huge contrast to our 3rd and 4th games this year.

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2023, 08:58:39 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

What I like this year is the team seems to be a better front-runner so far.  Last year we gave up huge leads all the time.  Game 4, for instance, was the one where we led by 19 mid-way through the first at Chicago and entered the 4th down 21, which is a huge contrast to our 3rd and 4th games this year.

Yeah, I like that they're crushing teams, and seemingly aren't going into huge slumps.  It's a very small sample size, but the team has a swagger that was largely missing last year. 

Logic tells us the team hasn't reached its top gear yet, because the guys are still learning to play with one another.  If that's true, then this will be a special season.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2023, 09:52:32 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Porzingus health will determine what this season will tell us
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2023, 10:22:36 AM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
I realize it was a cap issue most likely but if we could have kept Grant Williams this team would be just one more depth player away (to have a ridiculous top eight rotation of players) and would be an absolute juggernaut.

And it’s not because Grant had 25 last night. He was just the perfect fit as the guy to take the tough guy mantle from Smart, versatile on D and a smart glue guy.  I was very surprised when they didn’t sign him.

This said, if we can find two more guys through the trade deadline, using our trade exceptions and/or the buyout market who can really contribute we’re likely to put up a ring this year as long as everyone stays relatively healthy - especially Porzingis.

I’d like us to make a move for Drummond. He would just be nice insurance against a Porzingis injury. We’d have to adjust our offense  but it’s doable and he’s a high availability player physically - always has been.

I wouldn’t mind making a move for JaMychal Green either.

I’m convinced Stevens will get a hood player who is being bought out as anyone half decent would surely like to join this group and have a great shot at a ring - fingers crossed we add some more depth.

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2023, 10:36:41 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
I realize it was a cap issue most likely but if we could have kept Grant Williams this team would be just one more depth player away (to have a ridiculous top eight rotation of players) and would be an absolute juggernaut.

And it’s not because Grant had 25 last night. He was just the perfect fit as the guy to take the tough guy mantle from Smart, versatile on D and a smart glue guy.  I was very surprised when they didn’t sign him.

This said, if we can find two more guys through the trade deadline, using our trade exceptions and/or the buyout market who can really contribute we’re likely to put up a ring this year as long as everyone stays relatively healthy - especially Porzingis.

I’d like us to make a move for Drummond. He would just be nice insurance against a Porzingis injury. We’d have to adjust our offense  but it’s doable and he’s a high availability player physically - always has been.

I wouldn’t mind making a move for JaMychal Green either.

I’m convinced Stevens will get a hood player who is being bought out as anyone half decent would surely like to join this group and have a great shot at a ring - fingers crossed we add some more depth.

I think Grant is better off for having a starting role than he would have on the bench here.  He was trending down a Terry Rozier path of chafing at his inconsistent minutes.  I don’t think Dallas Grant would have shown up to the Celtics this season.

Mind you, I was on the pay Grant team and thought Dallas got a bargain at his MLE salary, but I think he’s in a better head space elsewhere.

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2023, 11:59:36 AM »

Online angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 594

Yeah but(basing totally on the eye test) they're not living and dying by the 3. The offense just seems more organized and efficient compared to the last few years. Plus they actually have held onto leads. I don't think last year's team wins that game against Miami.

So far, the mental toughness is showing on the court and not only in the interviews.

Still don't believe in Joe.