Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 965486 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #1230 on: August 08, 2011, 05:17:46 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3773
  • Yup
I would definitely recommend The Rise of the Planet of the Apes.  The apes looked great and it was a cool back story to the Planet of the Apes series. 

Saw it last night.  A little different then I thought it was going to be, but an excellent movie nonetheless.  I'd be really interested to see if they follow up with the chronological story (this one was a prequel).
Yup

« Reply #1231 on: August 08, 2011, 05:55:58 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I would definitely recommend The Rise of the Planet of the Apes.  The apes looked great and it was a cool back story to the Planet of the Apes series. 

Saw it last night.  A little different then I thought it was going to be, but an excellent movie nonetheless.  I'd be really interested to see if they follow up with the chronological story (this one was a prequel).
I enjoyed it a lot. Pretty much what I expected. Franco is unbelievable as a scientists cuz he always looks like a stoner. I love his body of work, but felt like a stretch for me (though i felt he was fine in the movie).

Great to see the Gollum actor getting another motion capture gig. The guy is brilliant.

I like starting from the beginning. The original movies were a little silly in sequence. They actually had 2 separate timelines which I found a bit corny.

I found some of the ape animation a bit much. Too much of it was physically impossible. I didn't see the point in that though I suppose it is for the short attention span bells and whistles viewer.

« Reply #1232 on: August 08, 2011, 06:11:25 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
In no way way am I endorsing murder, rape, necrophilia or any other perversion, for that matter, but a flick is a flick. Reality can be so much worse than what is depicted on the silver screen. Anyways, there's a reason some movies are rated not suitable for small children.

In my opinion, a line needs to be drawn somewhere; there are some things that have no redeeming value, and are simply gratuitous.  A graphic depiction of the rape of a newborn child seems to cross the line, and is only done to offend and/or to draw attention to the director.  Again, I haven't seen it (and don't care to), but I do think there are some things that never need to be shown.

Real artists can get their idea across without appealing to sadistic child p0rnography; hacks and butchers cannot.
I think both points of view are reasonable.

It is a difficult decision for directors. I have no problem with directors who want people to be repulsed and outraged about acts that we sometimes try to keep out of mind. On the other hand, it is a fine line between trying to induce empathy for a victim and exploitatively sexualizing them (in particular, children).

Unfortunately, most shocking scenes are only meant to be outrageous with the hope of generating buzz and becoming a cult classic. Still, I am reluctant to judge a movie I haven't seen.

« Reply #1233 on: August 08, 2011, 06:34:58 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2553
Sorry, ACF, this is one time I don't agee with you.  Since we are so careful to keep this site "family friendly", I really don't understand why banning this kind of thing is considered censorship by some people.  You can watch it and post it somewhere else.     Just my opinion.

I'm not saying I will watch it (I won't) but it's still only a movie. I guess it's not for the squeamish. But Roy posted some stuff about what goes on in the movie and if people feel that they'll be able to stomach such depravity, then let them. It's not going to make the world a worse place than it was in the first place. It's like blaming violent video games for school shootings or heavy metal music for some violent murder spree.

People make choices, you can't blame movies or any other art for those choices.

I'm not big on grauitous depravity. And, I am especially not big on creative depravity -- conjouring up cruelties that may be more imagined than really occurring just to intrigue viewers. 

On the other hand, we shouldn't discount the power of realitic depictions of true horrors.   As one example, I remember seeing the rape seen in the Jody Foster film, Accused, about a real raping that occurred in New Bedford in 1983.  The rape scene completely (in my opinion) dispelled any notion that a woman could, in any way, be culpable for being sexually attacked regardless of how provocative, suggestive, or consensual she might be at any point.  It drove home very powerfully the notion that "no" means "no" -- no matter what.   I think the scene may have provided rape victims with some measure of relief from undeserved feelings of guilt. And I am sure that it changed the views of some men.

At the time, some found the rape scene too graphic and too long. But, sometimes realistic dramatizations are required in order to achieve the intensity to drive a point home.

« Reply #1234 on: August 08, 2011, 06:37:33 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3773
  • Yup

I enjoyed it a lot. Pretty much what I expected. Franco is unbelievable as a scientists cuz he always looks like a stoner. I love his body of work, but felt like a stretch for me (though i felt he was fine in the movie).

Great to see the Gollum actor getting another motion capture gig. The guy is brilliant.

I like starting from the beginning. The original movies were a little silly in sequence. They actually had 2 separate timelines which I found a bit corny.

I found some of the ape animation a bit much. Too much of it was physically impossible. I didn't see the point in that though I suppose it is for the short attention span bells and whistles viewer.

Yeh, the window crashes were a bit gratuitous!  It seemed they enjoyed going through windows a bit much and were impervious to any damage that might have come along with breaking through glass.  But hey, it looked cool! 
Yup

« Reply #1235 on: August 10, 2011, 12:41:22 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Yeh, the window crashes were a bit gratuitous!  It seemed they enjoyed going through windows a bit much and were impervious to any damage that might have come along with breaking through glass.  But hey, it looked cool! 

I liked the window crash scene.  I'm not impervious to some good visual bells and whistles. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #1236 on: August 10, 2011, 01:48:41 PM »

Offline looseball

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 77
"High and Low" (Akira Kurosawa) ... a masterpiece that stays with you. Amazing, this director.

I just watched this great movie after seeing it posted here (thank you, Bahku).  I had seen a few Kurosawa movies previously and found them to be riviting, and this one from 1963 was no exception.
It's about a kidnapping and the detective work is fascinating.  
I give this movie five stars!

« Reply #1237 on: August 10, 2011, 03:21:02 PM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
Burning Palms....craziness.

« Reply #1238 on: August 12, 2011, 03:37:27 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
The killing fields.   Liked it better than Schindler's List, but I'm always in the minority on these things

« Reply #1239 on: August 12, 2011, 06:16:50 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2553
The killing fields.   Liked it better than Schindler's List, but I'm always in the minority on these things

I always list The Killing Fields among my all-time favorite films.  Not only well-acted, well-written and a compelling story (to say the least), but you can actually learn something by watching this film.  I agree -- better than Schindler.

« Reply #1240 on: August 13, 2011, 05:20:31 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
took my son to see the smurfs.  yes....its as bad as it looks, lol.

« Reply #1241 on: August 13, 2011, 05:32:25 PM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164

I liked the window crash scene.  I'm not impervious to some good visual bells and whistles. 

I just saw it I liked the movie.  Liked how they payed respect to all that came before it but took it in another direction.

Yeah I dealt with the windwos lol...it was a summer movie.  Had to suspend disbelief cuz in real life all those apes would have been dead in 15 minutes.
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

« Reply #1242 on: August 13, 2011, 08:46:23 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5351
  • Thumper of the BASS!
rundown with the Rock..

one of the best action flixs...

« Reply #1243 on: August 13, 2011, 08:47:50 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
rundown with the Rock..

TP! Rock could have been an action star if he did more movies like this one instead of retreads like " Walk Tall."

« Reply #1244 on: August 13, 2011, 08:49:30 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5351
  • Thumper of the BASS!
rundown with the Rock..

TP! Rock could have been an action star if he did more movies like this one instead of retreads like " Walk Tall."

from the start with the football playas in the club...
i knew this flixs was gonna be that thang~