Author Topic: Celtics (36-11) at Kings (12-33) 2/1  (Read 54665 times)

Celtics (36-11) at Kings (12-33) 2/1
« on: January 31, 2011, 10:40:43 PM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (36-11) at Sacramento Kings (12-33)
Tuesday, February 1
10:00 PM ET
Regular Season Game #48, Road Game #23
TV:  CSNNE, CSNCA, TheScore,  NBA-LP 754/755
Radio:  WEEI, KHTK
Arco Arena 

Probable Starters
PG SG SF PF C
Rajon Rondo/  Ray Allen/  Paul Pierce/  Kevin Garnett/  Shaquille O'Neal

Boston Bench Mob
Kendrick Perkins
Marquis Daniels
Luke Harangody
Von Wafer
Semih Erden
Nate Robinson
Glen Davis

Injured

Delonte West (wrist) out
Jermaine O'Neal (knee) out

D-League
Avery Bradley

Probable Starters
PG SG SF PF C
Beno Udrih/ Tyreke Evans /Omri Casspi/Jason Thompson/ DeMarcus Cousins

Reserves
Samuel Dalembert
Carl Landry
Pooh Jeter
Donte Greene
Darnell Jackson
Luther Head
Hassan Whiteside
Jermaine Taylor 

Injuries
Francisco Garcia (calf) out
Jason Thompson (ankle)  questionable

Team Connections
Kings Head Coach Paul Westphal played for the Celtics from 1972-75 and was a member of the 1973-74 Championship team
DeMarcus Cousins and Rajon Rondo attended the University of Kentucky
Darnell Jackson and Paul Pierce both attended the University of Kansas
Jackson, Shaquille O’Neal and Delonte West were all teammates in
Cleveland during the 2009-10 season
Jackson and West were also teammates in Cleveland during the 2008-09 season
Von Wafer and Carl Landry were teammates in Houston during the 2008-09 season

Game Notes
This is the second meeting between these two teams this season.  The Celtics won the game in Boston 119-95 but the Kings didn't have their talented second year guard, Tyreke Evans in that one.   The Kings have been playing very well in recent games, winning 3 of their last 4 games.  All 3 wins were against playoff teams. 

They play teams tough.  In 28 of their games they have had a lead or were tied in the 4th quarter.  It appears that they are learning how to finish in these recent wins.   It would be a huge mistake to take this team for granted based on their record.  The Lakers, Hornets and Blazers found that out the hard way. 

The Celtics are 2-1 right now on this road trip.  They are coming off a big win over the Lakers and it would be easy to have a let down against a team with a 12-33 record.  But, since a win against the Lakers counts the same in the standings as a win against the Kings, losing this game undoes the good play on Sunday.  The Celtics are just 2.5 games ahead of the Heat in the standings after their loss to the Suns.  They have to take every game seriously if they want to have HCA throughout the playoffs. 

This is a very winnable game if they come out with the focus and intensity that they did against the Lakers. But if they play like they did vs the Suns, they will end the road trip 2-2 instead of 3-1 and that would be a shame after the big win over the Lakers.   Great teams bring it every night.  This team is great and it's time they prove it! 

Key Matchups
  vs 
Rajon Rondo vs Beno Udrih
As we have seen in so many games, as Rondo goes, so go the Celtics.  Rondo's play is very important to the Celtics and he will need to be aggressive  in this game on both ends of the court.  Previous to the Lakers game,   Rondo has had sub-par games for him vs the Blazers and the Suns and the Celtics need the Rondo who showed up in the Lakers game.    If he plays like he is capable of playing, he should be able to have his way with Udrih.

vs 
Ray Allen vs Tyreke Evans
The last time the Celtics met, Evans was out.  Ray has been playing very well and is fast closing in on the 3 point record.   Evans will want to show that he can make a difference for the team and will be aggressive and Ray must match his energy. 

Honorable Mention
vs
Shaquille O'Neal vs DeMarcus Cousins
After some off court problems and clashes with the coach, Cousins is finding his spot on the team.  He has scored in double figures in 4 of his last 5 games, helping to lead his team to victory in those 4 games.  Shaq will need to hold his ground against this young and athletic center without getting into quick foul trouble.   

Key off the Bench
vs
Kendrick Perkins vs Samuel Dalembert
Perk and Dalembert have had many battles when Sam was Philly's starting center and now they will battle each other off the bench.  Dalembert's scoring off the bench helped to lead the Kings over 2 playoff teams:  LA (18 points) and New Orleans (16 points) in their last 2 games.  Perk's defense on him will be key.

Keys to the Game
Defense -  Defense is a key to every game and it will be the key to winning the championship.  The Celtics beat the Lakers with their defense but lost to the Suns because they failed to play team defense.  The Celtics need to continue to make defense a priority.  Defense wins game. 

Play Team Ball - The Celtics need to move the ball and find the open man. When the Celtics concentrate on playing as a team, they are tough to beat.  They did a great job of moving the ball against the Lakers and because of that their offense ran like a well oiled machine.  Hero ball never wins games (ask Kobe). 

Crash the boards - The Celtics showed that they are capable of beating even big teams on the boards when they out-rebounded the Lakers.  They had the desire and effort needed in that game and need to bring that same effort and desire to this game and beat the Kings on the boards. 

Effort and Focus
- Whatever the reason, the Celtics have shown a lack of focus and effort against teams with losing records.   The Celtics beat the Kings once already and they have a dismal record at 12-33 but the Celtics shouldn't take them for granted.  They need to be focused on this game and bring the same effort that they did against the Lakers.  The Heat already made up one game on them when they lost to the Suns and could make up another one here if they don't come to play in this one. 

X-Factor
Let Down and Focus
After a big win like the one over the Lakers, it would be easy for the Celtics to let down and come into this game unfocused.  Every game counts and in the standings, a win over the Kings counts the same as a win over the Lakers so they have to come into this game focused and not let down their guard.  The way the Kings have been playing, taking them for granted would be a big mistake. 

Re: Celtics (36-11) at Kings (12-33) 2/1
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 10:46:31 PM »

Offline Megatron

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 136
I think the C's are going to blow these guys out. The huge win last night was good for their confidence and I expect them to roll with that until the all-star break.

I can only imagine how pumped up our team is right now, they were probably screaming and cussing in the locker room after trashing the lakers.

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 11:01:54 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
I think the C's are going to blow these guys out. The huge win last night was good for their confidence and I expect them to roll with that until the all-star break.

I hope you're right...but I fear they might take it easy after that win against LA. They usually play to the competition...still, like you, I expect a win but not a pretty one.

TP FL...and GO CELTICS!
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 11:17:02 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
TP. Go Celtics!

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 11:26:09 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Great job, FL, you deserve every TP, here's another one.

The Kings could be a playoff team in the East with all that talent  ;) and while they wouldn't stand a chance in a 7 game series, they are more than capable of beating the Celtics. And the Celtics have lost to some of the worse teams in the league, so I hope they feel the need to extend the winning streak and play Celtics ball.

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 11:55:10 PM »

Offline Rondo9dunx

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 4
I think this is going to be a blow-out.

Yea we're comin off a big win, but that big win came after a TERRIBLE loss to a bad team.

They are not going to lose to PHO and SAC in the same road trip, I refuse to believe that!!

Let's get semih and Wafer some heavy gahbage minutes
Andy Bernard doesnt lose constests. He wins them, or he quits them because they're unfair.

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 12:06:59 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
It will be fun to see tyreeke against ray
lets see if the kid can step up
or Ray takes the count under 10

12 to tie.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 12:36:33 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

12 to tie.

I have a feeling that Ray is going to have a huge night ... he's been a bit off now for a few games and he's due, plus the challenge of showing the kid up will be added incentive. The record is coming sooooooooooon!! (Thanks, Fl ... TP, gotta get those slippers!).
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 12:44:06 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

12 to tie.

I have a feeling that Ray is going to have a huge night ... he's been a bit off now for a few games and he's due, plus the challenge of showing the kid up will be added incentive. The record is coming sooooooooooon!! (Thanks, Fl ... TP, gotta get those slippers!).

off?
hes making almost 3 a game last games
i mean last time i checked he was 27 behind and 3 games later hes at 13
Last time they match he makes 4 of 5 so indeed he can even make it half way this game pushing it a little
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 05:13:18 AM »

Offline thebat

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 17
I'd kill kobe to get one pair of those fluffy Celtics room slippers  ;D!

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 06:49:29 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

12 to tie.

off?
hes making almost 3 a game last games
i mean last time i checked he was 27 behind and 3 games later hes at 13
Last time they match he makes 4 of 5 so indeed he can even make it half way this game pushing it a little

I didn't say "bad" or even "off", I said "a bit off", that means a little off, and I was talking about his shooting in general, not just tres, (he was even 0/2 free-throws against Phoenix!) ... before the Lakers game he was 3/8 and 6/14, and that is not great for Ray. However, as I said, I think he will have a big game tonight.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 08:54:39 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
finish this roadie up right. heading home for a HUGE week...dallas, orlando, lakers and miami

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 11:06:27 AM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
I am expecting a competitive game tonight. Sacremento competes every night which is a reflection of their competitive coach, Paul Westphal. Young teams tend to play with a lot of energy this time of year and feed off the condfidence of success against the tougher teams in this league.

I don't think the Celtics will overlook this team at all and will play a good game. But I don't think this is a blowout by any stretch of the imagination.

We need to play as hard against this team as we did Sunday afternoon and hope for the best :D
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 11:12:38 AM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
Dangerous team at the moment, riding a 2-gm win streak over the West's 2nd- and 5th- best teams (Lakers and Hornets).

Can't let Cousins get going.

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 11:31:51 AM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
Ref Details:

Bennett Salvatore, Eli Roe, Greg Zielinski

Celtics fans need no introduction to Salvatore after the Hawks game in Boston last year - where he called a bogus flagrant on Davis (later rescinded) and then quickly gave Doc 2 T's and the boot...

In games this season involving any of these guys, C's are 3-0 (vs Raptors 11/26, Twolves and Detroit last month).

Kings are 2-4, with a road win @ the Twolves 10/27.

Over the last 10 games involving these guys, C's are 20-10, Kings 4-25.

Just stay calm, doc - this should be a fairly easy win on bench depth advantage even if their starters play like they did in the last 2 games.