Poll

If Irving does not indicate to sign an extension by Dec (poll)

Keep him regardless to focus on winning the title. Worry about offseason later
39 (84.8%)
Trade him for best haul possible by the deadline. Team has enough to win
7 (15.2%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: If Irving does not show interest to sign an extension by Dec (poll)  (Read 5264 times)

Re: If Irving does not show interest to sign an extension by Dec (poll)
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2018, 02:50:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Why would Kyrie sign an extension in December? He can negotiate a much higher salary if he lets this contract expire and negotiates a new one. The fact he’s unwilling to sin an extension doesn’t tell us whether he’s willing to stay.   

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2018/06/02/kyrie-irving-contract-situation

Show interest and or work on a framework for next deal... nothing wrong with planning

But what if Irving and agent totally shun this?
Shun what? Signing an extension? It's not going to happen. There is zero reason to sign an extension and cost Kyrie tens of millions of dollars.

Also, as someone pointed out earlier, if Ainge wasn't almost 100% sure that Kyrie wouldn't re-sign, Kyrie would be gone already. Irving gave up millions on his 15% trade kicker by waiving it for the trade to go through. You don't do that if you aren't planning to be with that team long term.

The most likely scenario is Kyrie opts out and it will be announced on July 1st that he re-signed with the Celtics on a 4 year max deal.

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2018, 03:08:40 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
The more I think about it - why would he even go to NY?

Even if Jimmy B follows him there, and "IF" Kris Kross can stay healthy what do they have BEHIND those three?

Does NY have a Marcus Smart type player? ALL CONTENDERS have players like Marcus Smart, Draymond Green, PJ Tucker - the tough guys that are willing to get dirty and WORK...do the little things to WIN..

What does NY have on its bench?

Is their coaching as strong as Coach Stevens?

A Kyrie-Jimmy B and Kristaps trio would win 50-55 games and fill the seats but what after that?

How long before the NY faithful start booing them for losses?

And finally - will NY fans do THIS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GRFYDWsI9U

If their team gets down by over 20 points in a Game 6 NBA playoff game - trying to WILL their team to victory in an eventual game 7?

Kyrie  - once he considers EVERYTHING - would be rather foolish to leave BOS. But as long as he wins a Banner here next year I'd forgive him immediately and wish him well in NY.

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2018, 04:01:29 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Silly thread. No elite player who isn't already on a max deal is going to sign an extension.

But any excuse to play NBA 2k19 with the Celts' roster.

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2018, 04:46:08 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
If he said he wasn't going to stay, I'd absolutely trade him, but he is never going to say he isn't going to stay.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2018, 05:34:56 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I keep hearing/reading 'what should we do if Kyrie walks' but I really think we are looking at this from the wrong perspective. He has had a fair amount of injuries in his career and unless he really proves himself durable and worth max money I think Ainge may not resign him or he may trade him.

I know it's quite difficult to get a very good free agent to sign in Boston but does the team want to gamble on someone who is not durable as well as great?

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2018, 06:41:50 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Keep him, and take a shot at the whole ball of wax. Baring a serious injury I have a very positive feeling about this team.

If he's dumb enough to leave this current Celtics team...let him go.

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2018, 06:55:46 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Keep him. Its all about winning a title. We aren't getting anything back of reasonable value for 3 months of Kyrie because if we do try to trade him everyone would know its because he's leaving in June.

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2018, 07:42:19 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I keep hearing/reading 'what should we do if Kyrie walks' but I really think we are looking at this from the wrong perspective. He has had a fair amount of injuries in his career and unless he really proves himself durable and worth max money I think Ainge may not resign him or he may trade him.

I know it's quite difficult to get a very good free agent to sign in Boston but does the team want to gamble on someone who is not durable as well as great?

theres something to be said about this too.

If Kyrie only plays 2/3 of the season this year and is banged up at best in the playoffs, the priority might need to shift to keeping Terry here.  Especially if Tatum and Jaylen continue to excel. 
Greg

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2018, 08:07:33 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I don't know why we're obsessing over Kyrie signing an.  Especially considering it would cost him $81milion if he signs while under contract, so he he has to become a free agent to get paid.  I think the biggest problem is what the NBA is doing with the max deal and super max.  I think they really need to revisit that and make it so that if you want a max deal or supermax you have to sign with your team before your contract expires. 

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2018, 10:19:04 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
If a deal comes along that would give the team long term stability at a similar level to where it is now, I'd deal Irving. However, what team would trade for him if there are strong hints he wants to go say to New York or wherever? So such a deal is not coming along.

I'd really like to see the next collective bargaining agreement address the super team concept. 

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2018, 11:03:04 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The only deal remotely acceptable out of these ones is the Denver deal, but I'd even be hesitant about doing that considering we just locked up Smart on a long-term deal, Rozier is looking at a new contract (with us, hopefully) and Harris has a big contract.

There is no reason for us to trade Irving. Go for the championship, then try and keep him here. If we win a ring and he doesn't want to stay, his loss.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2018, 11:12:46 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Kyrie won’t want an extension regardless. He also won’t make any promises. There is no chance he would do this for any team. This is why Terry Rozier isn’t going anywhere, and also why we may end up letting Terry walk for nothing.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2018, 11:49:24 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Lets say it is option 2

1) Would you trade Irving in a package to the Knicks for Frank Ntilikina, Tim Hardaway jr.,  and  future 1st

2) Would you trade Irving in a package to the Wolves for Andrew Wiggins + future 1st

3) Would you trade Irving to Spurs for DeJounte Murray, Pau Gasol, 2 future 1sts

3) Would you trade Irving to Nuggets for Jamal Murray and Will Barton or Garry Harris + 1st

None of the above. Whatever value you place on those packages, none of them replaces – even remotely - what you’re losing if you trade Irving away. And people are talking like Terry and Marcus Smart could pick up the slack. They cannot.

This is more a question of particular talents rather than how good a player is. Boston is in “win now” mode, so they cannot afford to lose one of the premier shot creators in the league and not replace him.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2018, 12:43:14 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Kyrie won’t want an extension regardless. He also won’t make any promises. There is no chance he would do this for any team. This is why Terry Rozier isn’t going anywhere, and also why we may end up letting Terry walk for nothing.

If team doesnt win it all or at least make the finals, Kyrie walks and Celts dont get any type of compensation....talk about bad luck

Unless IT4 returns lol

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2018, 01:00:18 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

If team doesnt win it all or at least make the finals, Kyrie walks and Celts dont get any type of compensation....talk about bad luck

Unless IT4 returns lol
Why do you think he walks if we don't win #18 / make Finals?

Also IT4 returning would just be worse luck than losing Kyrie alone, lol.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)