Author Topic: JB Handles breakdown (Video)  (Read 1902 times)

JB Handles breakdown (Video)
« on: August 04, 2023, 03:08:33 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
https://youtu.be/tb6DDdCpvFw

Pretty good video. Too predictable going left. Has to settle for pull up jumpers going left against good defenders.

Re: JB Handles breakdown (Video)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2023, 10:52:25 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
https://youtu.be/tb6DDdCpvFw

Pretty good video. Too predictable going left. Has to settle for pull up jumpers going left against good defenders.

Interesting film.  Most of the turnovers are the result of him forcing it.  Trying to do too much off the dribble.  With the rest of the team standing around.  Iso-ball if you will.  We need a scheme that minimizing those situations.  Brown should be moving more off the ball, cutting, coming off screens.  He can convert some Iso-ball plays, he is good enough to take that on when necessary (some possessions just end up that way).  But that should be Plan D, not Plan A.

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2023, 11:20:20 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I'm hoping that now that Brown has got his "bag", he will do whatever is best for the team, and not worry about his stats/making All NBA team. Not saying he did that consciously, it is only human nature. 

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2023, 01:12:51 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
There are instances of him going left with zero problems in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aJkHQghTXg

So it is not this simple as he can't go left.   The original video cherry picked video of him having problems to reinforce that narrative.   I think the HEAT collapse and trap very well in their zone.   I think that is where the problems lie.  They present the illusion of the opening than a trap occurs and a weak side defender picks the ball as the defender turns his man.  They did this to Tatum too.

There have been plenty of guys who can not drive well with both hands.   Brown is athletic to get up shot even in these circumstances

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2023, 02:29:32 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
I remember listening to Gilbert Arenas talking about all the scouting reports saying to send star players left. He thought this was wrong a lot of the time. He talked about himself and how he was always sent left since an early age so as a result all the moves he practices are going to left. He said this was the same for most of the top guys. They never get to go right to their strong hand so they don't practice moves going that way very often. Everything is on their left.

Obviously not the case for Jaylen but for the MVP candidate type guys Arenas felt this was the case.

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2023, 03:56:34 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
I think the issue is as much about bad decision-making and forcing possessions as it is his handles. Even the best ball-handlers will get turnovers occasionally when they force possessions in traffic.

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2023, 07:24:40 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 733
I think the issue is as much about bad decision-making and forcing possessions as it is his handles. Even the best ball-handlers will get turnovers when they force possessions in traffic.

Thank You. Jaylen Brown's problem is not his dribbling ability, it is what he dribbles into that is the problem.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2023, 07:41:50 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 85
Brown should have known two years ago that Butler likes to poke the ball away on reach arounds.

But he keeps dribbling high and allowing Butler and others to do that.

You get stripped once or twice in high school and it should become instinct to lower your dribble, and stick your elbow out on your dribble hand to protect the ball from those swipers.  Seriously, I learned that in high school.

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2023, 09:47:56 PM »

Offline Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 172
There are instances of him going left with zero problems in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aJkHQghTXg

So it is not this simple as he can't go left.   The original video cherry picked video of him having problems to reinforce that narrative.   I think the HEAT collapse and trap very well in their zone.   I think that is where the problems lie.  They present the illusion of the opening than a trap occurs and a weak side defender picks the ball as the defender turns his man.  They did this to Tatum too.

There have been plenty of guys who can not drive well with both hands.   Brown is athletic to get up shot even in these circumstances
I only saw one instance in that video of Jaylen going left and getting all the way to the rim for the lefty layup. Every other time he went left in this video, he would end up doing exactly what the 1st video said he does- pulling up before he gets to the paint, switching to his right hand, or stopping and turning around to fade away from the right. The Heat obviously knew that if Jaylen drove left, he would most likely spin to go right, and they were waiting and frequently stripped the ball from him.

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2023, 10:06:18 AM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 85
One of the most astute points that video made is that when he gets pressed up on, he doesn't have the lower body strength to not get moved around some.

He also doesn't have a mental alert system that when he gets pressed tight on the perimeter that he needs to be even more cautious with his dribble.

He keeps his upright posture and high dribble (which isn't tight to begin with).  Weaker ball-handlers, or at least ball-handlers who are dribbling with their weak hand, should instinctively know that they need to crouch more, use their off hand/arm to shield their dribble, and make fewer/quicker/shorter dribbles in that case.  Not stiff-backed, high-dribbling, without shielding the defender.

I think Jaylen's #1 problem is his overconfidence.  It suits him well in so many other aspects of his game.  But in this situation, when it comes to dribbling with his left, it's his achilles heel.

He has an achilles hand if you will.

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2023, 10:37:31 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
It's possible that Brown is now the most scrutinized player in the NBA.

Sometimes fair. Other times I want to say, "What player isn't like that?" or "Yeah but he's still awesome in his strengths."