Author Topic: Jaylen Brown Agrees to extension  (Read 16801 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown Agrees to extension
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2023, 01:19:59 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
This really feels like a death sentence.
Just waiting in line for the execution.

We're going to regret this so much.
Other fans laughing at the Celtics for this insane contract.

From what I’ve seen, people on NBA Reddit generally understand that the deal needed to be done and even said they would take him on that salary. Very few people are laughing at us for this.

You can think it’s a rough contract, but still think he is a valuable, two way star entering his prime.

His role on the team is what makes it a rough contract imo. On a team like ATL or Dallas they'd be able to maximize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses by having him serve as a tertiary ball handler. He'd be spending most of his time off ball which is exactly the kind of role he should be playing.

On this team the ball is in his hands more, so he'll be creating more when he should be finishing more, and so his handles and decision-making will continue to get exposed in the postseason.

« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2023, 01:22:21 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
BREAKING: Boston Celtics star Jaylen Brown has agreed to a five-year, $304 million supermax contract extension with the franchise, per sources. This is the richest deal in NBA history, negotiated by agent Jason Glushon.

Fully guaranteed, with a trade kicker. No player option.

I did not want the trade kicker. Another factor that will knock his trade value moving forward on top of his already massive salary.

I am sure others will chime in on this but I thought that even though there is a kicker, his salary can't kick above 35% of the cap in any case anyway, so a trade kicker may not mean that much.  Is that correct?

Is that a rule change? I do not believe that was the case in the past.

I believe VM is correct.  Even with a trade kicker, a player's salary can't exceed the maximum, I believe.

Here's Larry Coon regarding the prior CBA:

A trade bonus cannot cause a player's salary to exceed the maximum salary, based on his years of service, during the year of the trade
doesnt that mean that if the cap explodes and goes up by more than the annual raise, he can get an increase to the 35% number in whatever year the trade happens and then would just get the annual raise after the increase.

Kind of, but the key here is “based on his years of service”.  Despite being a designated veteran, he would not be eligible for 35% with any other team until after he had 10 years of service, so until June 30th, 2026 has passed, the kicker couldn’t take him over 30%.  And in subsequent years, it would be reduced by any amount that takes him over 35%.  Practically speaking, the kicker really doesn’t have a major impact for several years.  That’s why it should have been an easy give for the C’s.

« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2023, 01:25:10 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I’m in the camp of this is a bad contract that we shouldn’t have offered. That’s just way too much for a secondary star. That money should go to the very elite, and Jaylen just isn’t that.

He’s a good player but he’s basically unmovable from here on out.

I hope Porzingis is the missing piece because this is our shot. Horford is going to be aging out of playing time, who knows what will happen with Derrick White and Robert Williams’ next deals, Brogdon probably won’t be here beyond next year (if not sooner). It’s basically all on the Jays now and the foreseeable future.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2023, 01:28:26 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Good business. Jaylen Brown has wouldn't be worth this contract if he was dropping 30 on a 44 win Minnesota team. He's worth it because he has hit his prime (co)leading the Championship contending Boston Celtics.

Well done JB. Eyes forward to Banner 18.

« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2023, 01:33:02 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
BREAKING: Boston Celtics star Jaylen Brown has agreed to a five-year, $304 million supermax contract extension with the franchise, per sources. This is the richest deal in NBA history, negotiated by agent Jason Glushon.

I did not want the trade kicker. Another factor that will knock his trade value moving forward on top of his already massive salary.

I am sure others will chime in on this but I thought that even though there is a kicker, his salary can't kick above 35% of the cap in any case anyway, so a trade kicker may not mean that much.  Is that correct?

I believe VM is correct.  Even with a trade kicker, a player's salary can't exceed the maximum, I believe.

A trade bonus cannot cause a player's salary to exceed the maximum salary, based on his years of service, during the year of the trade
doesnt that mean that if the cap explodes and goes up by more than the annual raise, he can get an increase to the 35% number in whatever year the trade happens and then would just get the annual raise after the increase.

Kind of, but the key here is “based on his years of service”.  Despite being a designated veteran, he would not be eligible for 35% with any other team until after he had 10 years of service, so until June 30th, 2026 has passed, the kicker couldn’t take him over 30%.  And in subsequent years, it would be reduced by any amount that takes him over 35%.  Practically speaking, the kicker really doesn’t have a major impact for several years.  That’s why it should have been an easy give for the C’s.

To give some numbers for context, that's a 4.3% ($2.6 million) kicker in 2026-27, a 7.3% ($4.8 million) kicker in 2027-28, and a 10.9% ($7.5 million) kicker in 2028-29.

That's a max of about $15 million over the course of the contract. Certainly not small potatoes, but not nearly as bad as a typical 15% kicker.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2023, 01:33:49 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
I’m in the camp of this is a bad contract that we shouldn’t have offered. That’s just way too much for a secondary star. That money should go to the very elite, and Jaylen just isn’t that.

I hope Porzingis is the missing piece because this is our shot. Horford is going to be aging out of playing time, who knows what will happen with Derrick White and Robert Williams’ next deals, Brogdon probably won’t be here beyond next year (if not sooner). It’s basically all on the Jays now and the foreseeable future.

You ready to lose him for nothing in free agency then or trade him for 50 cents on the dollar?

Highly questionable that we would’ve retained him next summer in free agency if we played hardball with him on the extension. Further, the trade market simply wasn’t there for stars this summer with there being so much parity in the league, and being an expiring contract further lowered his trade value.

Certainly not ideal, but you simply have to pay JB in this context. That’s just what stars of that caliber get paid now in these situations.

« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2023, 01:36:42 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
With this put of the way, I’m excited to see what Brad has in store to tie up the loose ends in the line up. Still hoping for Giles, even on a camp invite to prove himself. We need these low risk high reward guys to round up our bench.

« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2023, 01:38:35 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
We can finally put the Jaylen Brown doesn't want to stay in Boston rumors to rest now. The trade kicker is the nail in the coffin.

« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2023, 01:48:17 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
The team as currently constituted won't be able to stop good teams from scoring when they need to.

As compared to who?  What top teams have the defense to stop other top teams?  Who is going to be able to stop us?

If your concern is that Porzingis is going to soften our defense (I don't think he will), we can put out:

White
Brown
Tatum
Horford
Williams

Probably the best defensive line up of any top team.  I think we have plenty of defense to win a title.
You must not have been watching the same team I watched the 2nd half of the season - including playoffs.

For the second half of the season, 41 games after Jan 10, the Celtics had a DEFRTG of 110.2, second best in the league to CHI who was 109.4  League average was around 114.

In the playoffs, their DEFRTG increased to 112.9, so I guess you could say there were issues in the playoffs but certainly not the second half of the season.  Of course you are playing better teams in the playoffs. 

I still contend that the Celtics defense will be as good as any top team.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 01:55:22 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2023, 01:49:51 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321

Not only is this not true, but a lot of the "analysts" thought that Boston was forced into signing him to this deal, if only to trade him down the road.

« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2023, 01:57:36 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania

Adding on to this:  keep in mind that under the current CBA, the cap can't really "explode".  The most it can go up year to year is 10%.  JB is getting 8% raises, so the actual extra money he would get if traded would be fairly low, even after he hits the 35% mark.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2023, 02:02:13 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
We can finally put the Jaylen Brown doesn't want to stay in Boston rumors to rest now. The trade kicker is the nail in the coffin.

Yeah, that is a good point.  Why get a trade kicker if you want to be traded.  I guess you can always waive the trade kicker.  I think most likely, Brown is going to be around for while, but I would not be shocked if he is traded at some point.  When we get Tatum on a supermax too, that is a lot of money tied up in two players.  Brown is going to have value.  At least as much as Donovan Mitchell had when he was traded.  I know people are thinking it will end up being more like Beal to PHX but I don't see that, he had a no trade clause I think.  I think his value is closer to Donovan Mitchell.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 02:10:10 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2023, 02:06:33 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

Personally, I don't view the trade kicker that way, rather I see it as more of a control element for the player: "I can waive the trade kicker to help go to a team I want or will at least be compensated if I get sent to a team I don't want to go to."  Just like a no trade clause, it didn't mean Bradley Beal really wanted to stay with the Wizards, he just wanted to be able to control where he could go.

And I'm probably more cynical about these things in general (happy Jaylen signed and is locked up though), but one of the reasons I'm not as bothered by guys like Harden and Lillard and Durant demanding trades is I believe there's often an unofficial handshake agreement between players and teams when signing these max contracts, "sign with us, and if you decide you want out in a few years, we'll do our best to move you where you want to go."  Like I'm pretty sure this is exactly what happened with Paul George and OKC.  And not saying Lillard, Harden, Durant, etc. handled their situations well, but I would bet they were all told something similar at some point, so it's not really as clean as the "well you shouldn't have signed a 5 year max contract then" argument people make.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2023, 02:06:37 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366

You ready to lose him for nothing in free agency then or trade him for 50 cents on the dollar?

Highly questionable that we would’ve retained him next summer in free agency if we played hardball with him on the extension. Further, the trade market simply wasn’t there for stars this summer with there being so much parity in the league, and being an expiring contract further lowered his trade value.

Certainly not ideal, but you simply have to pay JB in this context. That’s just what stars of that caliber get paid now in these situations.

Yeah I'm not really sure what fans want.

Don't want brad to pay Jaylen his market. But bemoaning losing an average role player like grant williams by not paying his market value :o

« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2023, 02:22:33 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436

He just made the All NBA second team. I believe that means he’s part of the, “very elite”.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.