Author Topic: C's Best Five this Year  (Read 2064 times)

C's Best Five this Year
« on: July 13, 2023, 02:29:54 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I know we are going to play double bugs a lot this year which is great. However Rob played 35 regular season games last year and AL is getting older and can't play back to backs.

I think most here would agree that if healthy this may be our best five, closing five.  Certainly the best offensive five.

Porzingis
Tatum
Brown
Brogdon
White

Looks great on paper. So let's say we do roll out this starting five for a good chunk of the regular season.  How flawed is the roster as it stands. This puts Prichard in a fairly huge role Giving him big minutes.

Dare I say Davidson or Dalano Blanton would be getting third string reps at PG. Is that crazy? Do we have to get a serviceable guard if that five is playing major minutes together. 

Re: C's Best Five this Year
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2023, 02:47:37 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
That looks right but rotation wise you have to go

Starter
White, Brown, Tatum, Al, Porzingis

Off bench
First Guard=Brogdon
First Big=TL
Larger Wing=Houser

Unless another vet is added this seems the likely choice.

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2023, 03:13:16 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

That's fair. How about the question are we comfortable with Prichard playing 20 mpg if the first suggested five sticks for a while.

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2023, 04:52:59 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Hopefully we add more to the bench, looks mighty weak
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2023, 06:18:53 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1553
Hopefully we add more to the bench, looks mighty weak
grant Williams sure would look nice on the bench
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2023, 08:16:52 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Timelord, when healthy, is a game changer. He'd be in my top five. Go big and stay big. Let Big AL be the big off the bench.

Also, I think Tatum prefers to play sf.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2023, 08:53:50 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Impossible to say until we see how they mesh

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2023, 08:57:04 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
That looks right but rotation wise you have to go

Starter
White, Brown, Tatum, Al, Porzingis

Off bench
First Guard=Brogdon
First Big=TL
Larger Wing=Houser

Unless another vet is added this seems the likely choice.
I agree with that starting lineup. Start double bigs. Rotate Horford out for Williams. Horford has stated he prefers to start since it gives him better rhythm. Helps space the floor and gives them their best defensive lineup.

The bench depth (for the regular season at least) slightly worries me but I’d be okay if they went it with what they have and see what sticks and adjust as needed. Maybe Brissett and/or Walsh impresses and steps up with regular minutes.

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2023, 09:32:04 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
I think the best starting 5 is White, Brown, Tatum, Williams, Porzingis.  I think Horford needs to start on the bench to get him less wear and tear.  Closing lineup will depend on match-up, score, etc.  That could mean any number of people being out there (obviously Brown and Tatum will be in it, but the other 3 spots could rotate).

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2023, 09:43:22 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

That's fair. How about the question are we comfortable with Prichard playing 20 mpg if the first suggested five sticks for a while.

He played almost 20MPG as a rookie and put up 7.7PPG with 44 FG%, 41 3P% and almost 2 APG.  I think we can rely on him!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2023, 11:29:13 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3185

He played almost 20MPG as a rookie and put up 7.7PPG with 44 FG%, 41 3P% and almost 2 APG.  I think we can rely on him!

Pritchard has never averaged even 1 TO a game in 3 years.

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2023, 11:35:52 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
What are the chances it ends up being:

White
Brown
Hauser/Walsh
Tatum
KP

At first glance Hauser being in there feels a but weird. But if the guy can be a 40% shooter all year, and off different sorts of actions, I think his off-ball game could blend well with the Jays. And he was better defensively last year than I thought.

And Walsh is an incredible long shot given his age (although I like him), but he's a low USG guy who seems like a "do the dirty work" type player." I know I'm getting ahead of myself on him, but the actualized version of what he could be in like 3-4 years is exactly what they need there now.

Either Brogdon/Horford/Williams will get the first shot at being the 5th guy this year, but in the long term with Horford aging and Brogdon probably gone next summer for tax/cap reasons I could see that spot being a third wing. Its probably a year two early tho.

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2023, 12:49:19 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2947
What are the chances it ends up being:

White
Brown
Hauser/Walsh
Tatum
KP

At first glance Hauser being in there feels a but weird. But if the guy can be a 40% shooter all year, and off different sorts of actions, I think his off-ball game could blend well with the Jays. And he was better defensively last year than I thought.

And Walsh is an incredible long shot given his age (although I like him), but he's a low USG guy who seems like a "do the dirty work" type player." I know I'm getting ahead of myself on him, but the actualized version of what he could be in like 3-4 years is exactly what they need there now.

Either Brogdon/Horford/Williams will get the first shot at being the 5th guy this year, but in the long term with Horford aging and Brogdon probably gone next summer for tax/cap reasons I could see that spot being a third wing. Its probably a year two early tho.

Starting smaller with Hauser is interesting, especially given he showed that he’s not easy to exploit in mismatches abd can hold his own. That’s an incredible offensive lineup with more shooting than any team in the league.

I imagine we still go the two big route, probably experimenting with both Al and Timelord in there. But I’d like to see this lineup used frequently.

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2023, 01:53:23 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Brogdon is a better shooter than Hauser and provides more other skills. Not sure why Hauser would start over him if the team was going small

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2023, 02:13:59 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Brogdon is a better shooter than Hauser and provides more other skills. Not sure why Hauser would start over him if the team was going small

Brogdon's surplus skill is on ball, and in that starting unit he wouldn't get as much of that. Its one the the reasons he started literally 0 games last year, they steadfastly avoided it even with injuries.