Author Topic: Our new go to guy  (Read 5438 times)

Re: Our new go to guy
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2013, 08:17:20 AM »

Offline OmarSekou

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
I think it should be Rondo for the first 3 quarters and Pierce for the 4th.

Rondo can dominate offensively when teams aren't keyed in toward stopping him. He can either beat his man off the dribble and score/create or hit that elbow jumper when his man slacks off him. However, in the 4th quarter when teams double and trap him, he struggles. I saw it most in the Chicago game where they let him do what he wanted for three and clamped down on him in the end.

Pierce doesn't have to worry about getting doubled or trapped as much because he doesn't need to get inside the paint to be consistently effective. If teams do try and trap him, there's a lot more space open on the court which gives other guys better looks.

And KG just needs to show up. For all the talk of consistency (and the guy's my favorite player all time) there are too many games this season when he hasn't brought it offensively.
"Suit up every day."

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2013, 08:22:55 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I thought Rondo did a pretty good job down the stretch last night.  He was attacking the defense for the most part.  Yes, he made some bonehead plays, but he was the only one stepping up at all.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2013, 08:31:47 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I thought Rondo did a pretty good job down the stretch last night.  He was attacking the defense for the most part.  Yes, he made some bonehead plays, but he was the only one stepping up at all.
That's how I saw it as well.  Rondo was the only one trying to make the big plays with some success.  The rest of the team just looked like they weren't up to the challenge down the stretch (putting it kindly).

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2013, 09:49:41 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
This team absolutely does not have a go to guy. At this point, Rondo is the closest they have.

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2013, 09:52:15 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Jeff Green. Maybe he'd score 30 some night, then we can trade him.

Seriously speaking, if Rondo becomes our 'go to guy', this team is in serious trouble.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2013, 10:04:12 AM »

Offline CapnDunks

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
It should have been Jason Terry. He was brought here to replace Ray and he hasn't been anywhere close. Ray has been hitting clutch 3 after clutch 3 for Miami and Jet really has no business in the rotation right now.

This. It has to be Terry or he should be traded even though his stock is in the basement. I gave him benefit of the doubt because of how he was being used etc. He misses open shots and I can count his aggressive plays this season on one hand. I'm not waiting for the playoffs to see if he gets it together. Biggest disappointment of the season imo. He can afford to have that tattoo removed.

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2013, 10:07:25 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Other than those boneheaded plays, I really liked how Rondo played. Did just about most that I ask of him to do in a consistent basis. Active defensively, pushed the ball, rarely walked the ball, rarely stood around at the top of the key pounding the ball doing nothing.

Boneheaded plays aside, he plays like this, or similar, in a consistent basis there would be no reason in this forum to bash Rondo... but it's the consistency aspect that is the crux of his problem, always has been.

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2013, 10:10:10 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
It should have been Jason Terry. He was brought here to replace Ray and he hasn't been anywhere close. Ray has been hitting clutch 3 after clutch 3 for Miami and Jet really has no business in the rotation right now.

This. It has to be Terry or he should be traded even though his stock is in the basement. I gave him benefit of the doubt because of how he was being used etc. He misses open shots and I can count his aggressive plays this season on one hand. I'm not waiting for the playoffs to see if he gets it together. Biggest disappointment of the season imo. He can afford to have that tattoo removed.

JET's another old man.  Dalla knew what they were doing when they let him go.

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2013, 10:18:05 AM »

Offline CapnDunks

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13

JET's another old man.  Dalla knew what they were doing when they let him go.

True enough, but it's a big dropoff for a year or two. I remember hating him in a game at the garden last season. Looked up the highlights, he's dribble driving past rondo and he's hitting spot up corner 3's down the stretch. I think he's lost confidence as much as anything.

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2013, 10:46:29 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think Pierce's legs are getting worn out. Would love to see Doc give him a rest for a game every now and then.

Too often the Celtics are giving the ball to Pierce and watching. Having him out would force others to create for themselves, which would pay dividends long term.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2013, 10:56:04 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Other than those boneheaded plays, I really liked how Rondo played. Did just about most that I ask of him to do in a consistent basis. Active defensively, pushed the ball, rarely walked the ball, rarely stood around at the top of the key pounding the ball doing nothing.

Boneheaded plays aside, he plays like this, or similar, in a consistent basis there would be no reason in this forum to bash Rondo... but it's the consistency aspect that is the crux of his problem, always has been.

Rondo in attack mode is when he is at his best. He had a good number of drives and lay ups last night throughout the game and really turned it on in the fourth. More aggression from him on offense is, and has always been, needed/wanted.

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2013, 10:57:35 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
I think Pierce's legs are getting worn out. Would love to see Doc give him a rest for a game every now and then.

Too often the Celtics are giving the ball to Pierce and watching. Having him out would force others to create for themselves, which would pay dividends long term.

Pierce is playing a lot of minutes consecutively. I wouldnt mind seeing Pierce on a 5 minutes on 5 minutes off plan such as Garnett. Pierce just looks like he has no lift and that his legs are dead tired. I would rather see Green play the long consecutive minutes and give Pierce more sort stints in the game.

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2013, 10:59:43 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I think he's lost confidence as much as anything.

Doc misused Terry from day one and kept playing him in that ill-fitting role.  Now that Avery's back, Doc needs to settle on either Lee or Jet as the main guard off the bench and let that guy get comfortable in the role.  I'd rather see Lee or Terry place 25 to 30 minutes, rather than each getting 14 or 15.

Mike

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2013, 11:02:13 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Rondo is the closest thing we have to a go to guy right now. I think he has it in him to be that guy.

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2013, 11:04:43 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
I think he's lost confidence as much as anything.

Doc misused Terry from day one and kept playing him in that ill-fitting role.  Now that Avery's back, Doc needs to settle on either Lee or Jet as the main guard off the bench and let that guy get comfortable in the role.  I'd rather see Lee or Terry place 25 to 30 minutes, rather than each getting 14 or 15.

Mike

Yeah as much as I'd like to see them both on the floor I think this does make sense. And right now I would be giving Lee the 25 minutes a game. He is a better defender and right now is in a better place for us offensively. Terry is being misused and unless Doc figures out plays to use him better than things arent going to work out for him like we hope. He isnt ray allen and is better in the pick and roll game.