Author Topic: ESPN Article 4 Trades for Kawhi Leonard  (Read 7581 times)

Re: ESPN Article 4 Trades for Kawhi Leonard
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2018, 05:02:16 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I think it's interesting that opinions about Kyrie seem to have changed lately, both in the media and even here.  Beginning of the season he was considered the superstar the Celtics needed.  Boston was "his team."  Now he's brought up in trade rumors, people are questioning his character, etc.  It may be as simple as another shortened season due to injury.  But interesting nonetheless.

In this case, I think it's because we have a chance to upgrade without giving up anything else of substance (would only do the BOS pick, not the SAC pick). The same goes for AD, but that dream seems to be waning. There are very few players Cs fans would be comfortable trading Kyrie for.

Kyrie was just named the Auerbach Award winner so I highly doubt he is on the block. In fact, I think part of the reason he was given this award was to entice him to stay and let him know that this is his team.

That does make sense.  The upgrade would be nice, but I'm not sure that Rozier is consistent enough to be a starting PG, and we'd have a logjam at 2-4.  Unsure if Kawhi or Hayward could play the 4 full time; they may not even want to, that was an issue for Paul George.  Seems like Tatum could, but that would move Brown to the bench which doesn't seem like a good idea.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2018, 05:09:17 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Ya I think Ingram gets a tag bit overated. I like him as a player but hes roughly the same level of player as Brown is right now and you could certainly argue Brown is better. Ingram is younger by almost a year but given Brown superior athleticism and general rapid improvement I think their ceiling are very similar as well. Yet for whatever reason people argue treat ingram like a blue chip propect and Brown less so. I think people are still going off their draft evaluation where ingram was a high tier of propect. But that gap has closed

« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2018, 06:14:46 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Yet for whatever reason people argue treat ingram like a blue chip propect and Brown less so. I think people are still going off their draft evaluation where ingram was a high tier of propect. But that gap has closed

I agree. Same reason Jahlil Okafor was constantly overrated.

« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2018, 06:39:53 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Ingram is a star in the making, but would Morris, Rozier, Smart + SAC19 still be less in value than Ingram alone? I'd think if SAS liked Smart and got him at a reasonable rate, along with a young piece in Rozier, it could sway SAS to take Boston's deal. Or idk, maybe that's just me.
The issue is that the Sacramento Pick  could as easily be the 8th pick as the 1st, especially given the flattened odds next year.

Just depends on how you evaluate next year's draft and Ingram. Given how high many are on Ingram (many had him over Simmons on their board) I think he'd be valued a lot more but its all on what the Spurs think.
It could also become Philly's 1st if it hits #1 and Philly's 1st will almost certainly be in the mid to high 20's next year.

Just to be clear for those that are not familiar with new odds and get freaked out by this, even if the kings finsihed with the absolute worst record in the league there would only be a 14% of this happening. In reality it is probably closer to 9-10%. So its only marginally more likely than Utah winning the west at this point (14 to 1 right now).

« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2018, 06:57:18 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Will Leonard be the same player on another team , surely he ll be really good ,  but will he be great ?

pops has that reputation for players being better on this team . 

One aspect Leonards camp maybe looking at ...  CBS generally makes players successful or more than other coaches.   Maybe Leonard wants to play for Stevens who can do the same for him.

« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2018, 10:58:38 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
If we trade KI who is the starting PG? Certainly not Rozier.

I like Terry, but he is years away from being a starting PG on a serious contender. I like his energy off the bench. But when he's on the floor and Horford is on the bench he's nothing more than a shooting guard.

« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2018, 12:49:37 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
If we trade KI who is the starting PG? Certainly not Rozier.

I like Terry, but he is years away from being a starting PG on a serious contender. I like his energy off the bench. But when he's on the floor and Horford is on the bench he's nothing more than a shooting guard.

The only way trading Kyrie makes sense is if you think a Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Kawhi/Horford lineup has enough skilled ball handling to run ben simmons/lebron style PG duties, good ball movement, and switch duties of bringing the ball up the court vs the biggest mismatch there.

« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2018, 01:25:52 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
At the beginning of the season I would have been fine with a Brown for Kawhi based trade, but how much Brown has jumped this season makes that a bit harder. Tatumn playing as well as he has for a young rookie playing a undersized PF has been impressive.

KI for Kawhi doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I don't think DA want's to subtract from Irving/Hayward/Horford, but add. So the question is, that are Brown and Tatumn worth giving up for Leonard. Hayward/Brown/Leonard all play the same positions, so Brown would have to be out, or come off the bench, which I'm not sure would be the best for him next season after the way Brown has played in this series.  Having Brown and Tatum create a great balance of youth and vet players in the starting line up.

« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2018, 10:56:09 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
R.C Buford (In Background trying to give Ainge a high five): "Hey Danny, Brown or Tatum, Morris and picks for Kawhi, what do ya' say?"

Danny:

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2018, 11:17:38 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Keep the current roster... brown can be better

« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2018, 12:12:00 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
If our team was fully healthy, this series vs Sixers would help Ainge decide whether to pursue Leonard trade. Since we’re not, hard to gauge how we stack up vs them.

« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2018, 01:01:05 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
If our team was fully healthy, this series vs Sixers would help Ainge decide whether to pursue Leonard trade. Since we’re not, hard to gauge how we stack up vs them.

Or IF PHI loses this series, maybe it pushes them to make a Leonard trade this summer

I definitely think they're making an offer for him this summer
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2018, 01:18:54 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Or IF PHI loses this series, maybe it pushes them to make a Leonard trade this summer

What offer would San Antonio accept that doesn't involve Simmons though?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2018, 01:24:42 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

It depends on whether the relationship is salvageable, and what the other offers are.

Covington + Fultz + Saric + Lakers pick is a strong offer.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2018, 01:27:17 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

It depends on whether the relationship is salvageable, and what the other offers are.

Covington + Fultz + Saric + Lakers pick is a strong offer.
That is a good offer, and I never really thought of them adding Saric because they seem to like him. Would be hard for SAS to say no, barring a better offer
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)