Author Topic: Did the Fight of the Century live up to the Hype?  (Read 8530 times)

Re: Did the Fight of the Century live up to the Hype?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2015, 02:15:49 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
people who are unfamiliar with boxing and even more so unfamiliar with the style of fighter Mayweather is were disappointed.

Major reason I didn't buy the fight is because I knew Mayweather would not spar. I do not enjoy watching a boxing match where one boxer dances away from the contest all night and he is rewarded over the fighter that is actually aggressive. What if Manny decided to dance and float backwards would there be a fight?

The golden days of boxing was when the boxers actually came to compete, and either one or both of the boxers had to go to the hospital after the fight. The boxers are wiser now, and all they really do is make a ton of money by fixing fights. By fixing fights I mean setting up a fight so there can be a re-match. So for those that watched this fight, is there going to be a re-match? I doubt it from what I have heard/read so far.

What do I do with the $100 I saved.

Thank Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard for that style.

As popular as those two were I never like their style of boxing, and very rarely did I root for them to win. If I am paying money or spending time to watch boxers fight, I want to see a fight not dodging and backpedaling. Again, what I don't get is what would happen If a Sugar Ray fought a Mayweather would the referee have to declare a no-contest because both fighters refuse to engage?

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2015, 02:42:26 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2015, 03:09:58 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
people who are unfamiliar with boxing and even more so unfamiliar with the style of fighter Mayweather is were disappointed.

Exactly.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2015, 03:34:22 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Since this century is only about 15 years old, it has a chance of deserving the billing ( obviously not based in the performance) as fight of the century.

If we're talking the last 100 years as being labelled fight of the century, it's not even top 20, and I'm being generous.

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2015, 03:45:30 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
You can't name a fight "fight of the century" until it happens. It was a boring fight. Add to the fact that these were not heavyweights and it increases the disappointment.

Considering the many incredible rivalries that Pacquiao has had over the years, this was a fight to forget. As a non-boxing fan, I sometimes enjoy lower weight classes due to the amount of punching. Evading punches is great boxing, but boring for the casual fan. Also, anytime a boxer puts their weight on the back of the neck of a shorter boxer, it is hard for me to justify setting aside the time to watch the match.

And the whole pound-for-pound talk is silly. Was Mugsy Bogues the best inch-for-inch basketball player ever? If he was, so what? Silly talk.

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2015, 03:46:47 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders

Exactly.
If they were familiar with the style of young Pacquiao, they were doubly disappointed since young Pacquiao was insanely exciting.

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2015, 03:48:29 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
And the whole pound-for-pound talk is silly. Was Mugsy Bogues the best inch-for-inch basketball player ever? If he was, so what? Silly talk.

Typically this is an indication of superior skill and ability, which is something that, one would assume, most people posting on the internet about sports have an interest in assessing.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2015, 03:51:32 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders

Major reason I didn't buy the fight is because I knew Mayweather would not spar. I do not enjoy watching a boxing match where one boxer dances away from the contest all night and he is rewarded over the fighter that is actually aggressive. What if Manny decided to dance and float backwards would there be a fight?

The golden days of boxing was when the boxers actually came to compete, and either one or both of the boxers had to go to the hospital after the fight. The boxers are wiser now, and all they really do is make a ton of money by fixing fights. By fixing fights I mean setting up a fight so there can be a re-match. So for those that watched this fight, is there going to be a re-match? I doubt it from what I have heard/read so far.

What do I do with the $100 I saved.
If Manny wasn't aggressive, he would lose every round because of his short reach.

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2015, 04:31:23 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders

Typically this is an indication of superior skill and ability, which is something that, one would assume, most people posting on the internet about sports have an interest in assessing.
And Bogues had a skill level beyond that of many hall of famers. As does Isaiah Thomas. And Shaq was a horrible player.

If we set up a 6' and under league, would we bother talking about the skill levels of those players?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 04:37:09 PM by guava_wrench »

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2015, 06:18:23 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

And Bogues had a skill level beyond that of many hall of famers. As does Isaiah Thomas. And Shaq was a horrible player.

If we set up a 6' and under league, would we bother talking about the skill levels of those players?

It is interesting. I mean, I don't know boxing very well except for the Mike Tyson days, but is it a guarantee that a heavyweight will beat a lighter boxer every time? If so, this is like watching college basketball instead of the NBA. In general, the public wants to watch the very best compete (except for March Madness and various bowl games) - if these guys aren't the very best, then it's kind-of strange for it to be such a marquee match-up.

As for the fight itself, it went exactly how everybody thought it would go. We were all rooting for Pacquiao, but knew he was at a severe disadvantage.

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2015, 06:20:29 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

haha pretty much how I saw it....

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2015, 07:22:17 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Nope, it was predictable.

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2015, 08:10:52 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
Very disappointed in the fight overall
Not cuz of the decision but it was just overhyped
There were more fights that were more exciting from both fighters careers

I'm Filipino and go for pacquiao
But I can admit that he lost against mayweather

I think the scoring for the most part was right except the guy that scored it 118-110
I thought it was more 116-112 (I'm just a casual fan so it's just my opinion)

I predicted before that mayweather would win because of he's length, speed and athleticism
Mannys shots didn't seem to do much damage except in the 4th
He was more aggressive than mayweather but I'm surprised that mayweather attempted more punches in the stats
I'm not surprised that mayweather was more accurate in punches

Also I was kind of annoyed that whenever pacquiao went up close and had mayweather, mayweather either hugged him or ran away instead of countering straight up

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2015, 08:18:01 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Very disappointed in the fight overall
Not cuz of the decision but it was just overhyped
There were more fights that were more exciting from both fighters careers

I'm Filipino and go for pacquiao
But I can admit that he lost against mayweather

I think the scoring for the most part was right except the guy that scored it 118-110
I thought it was more 116-112 (I'm just a casual fan so it's just my opinion)

I predicted before that mayweather would win because of he's length, speed and athleticism
Mannys shots didn't seem to do much damage except in the 4th
He was more aggressive than mayweather but I'm surprised that mayweather attempted more punches in the stats
I'm not surprised that mayweather was more accurate in punches

Also I was kind of annoyed that whenever pacquiao went up close and had mayweather, mayweather either hugged him or ran away instead of countering straight up

These are pretty much my thoughts, especially the bolded. I came out expecting Mayweather to win due to his style, but he was a little shaky in his tactics. I expected Mayweather to outlast and Manny to gain a advantage. Kind of like the Celtics-Cavs series, where the less-favored get a quick advantage and see if they can lose it slowly enough that they have an edge in the final seconds.

However, just as Manny backed Mayweather into the corner and was getting some combos off, Mayweather hugged him. I can see doing the rope-a-dope and waiting for Pacquiao to lose energy. I can even see running away and dodging punches. However, no one can do anything to convince me that hugging someone is the honorable way to win a fight. It took the momentum right out of the fight when it looked like it was about to get interesting, and it really ruined Pac-Man's possible advantage. Maybe some call it good strategy, but I consider it, to quote Kevin Love, "Bush League."

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2015, 08:38:07 PM »

Offline Iggzilla

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8
However, no one can do anything to convince me that hugging someone is the honorable way to win a fight.

Well, "fighting honorably" has never once crossed Mayweather's mind. He fights to score points, and as a result he's one of the dullest champions ever. His undefeated streak is really questionable, since he mostly fights past-their-prime boxers (Pacquiao, Dela Hoya, etc.) or up-and-coming ones. If he fought Pacquiao five years ago, when they were still in their primes, this would have been veeeerrrry interesting. It would have reminded everyone of what the Joker said: when an unstoppable force (Pacquiao) meets an immovable object (Mayweather).