Author Topic: Are you more excited about seeing Brown than you were about seeing Marcus...  (Read 39506 times)

Re: Are you more excited about seeing Brown than you were about seeing Marcus...
« Reply #225 on: September 02, 2016, 06:35:46 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Wiggins vs Brown could be entertaining in a few years if both pan out .

Re: Are you more excited about seeing Brown than you were about seeing Marcus...
« Reply #226 on: September 02, 2016, 06:44:08 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

With celticsclay's intentionally ridiculous logic, we'd say that Cliff Alexander being higher on the recruiting charts in 2014 coming out of high school proves that he was seen as a better prospect in 2015 coming out of College than Marcus Smart was seen in 2014 coming out of College.    That's pretty silly and makes zero sense.  How people felt about Cliff coming out of high school has nothing to do with how people felt about Cliff coming out of College.

If you want to run around Celtics blog and yell at everyone who goes slightly off topic in a thread you have a lot of work ahead of you man.  Best of luck.

He's talking about considering it in a prospect and his point is a fine one.  Same logic that lead Ainge to make the Avery pick, which was a great one.  I suppose you get that but if you want to correct me again feel free.

"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #227 on: September 02, 2016, 08:26:24 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

With celticsclay's intentionally ridiculous logic, we'd say that Cliff Alexander being higher on the recruiting charts in 2014 coming out of high school proves that he was seen as a better prospect in 2015 coming out of College than Marcus Smart was seen in 2014 coming out of College.    That's pretty silly and makes zero sense.  How people felt about Cliff coming out of high school has nothing to do with how people felt about Cliff coming out of College.

If you want to run around Celtics blog and yell at everyone who goes slightly off topic in a thread you have a lot of work ahead of you man.  Best of luck.

He's talking about considering it in a prospect and his point is a fine one.  Same logic that lead Ainge to make the Avery pick, which was a great one.  I suppose you get that but if you want to correct me again feel free.

Tp. Again as much as larbrd tries it's obviously worth mentioning that brown was considered an elite prospect in his class less than a year ago. I get that it is a little annoying for the narrative larbrd is trying to push, but the stay on thread topic narrative is pretty transparently ridiculous here. Talking about recruits from 4-5 years ago obviously is off topic though

« Reply #228 on: September 02, 2016, 08:30:40 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

We took Avery Bradley 19th.  It's not like we reached for Avery in the lotto, because he was considered great in high school.   We took him in the late 1st round. 

Funny enough, Avery Bradley was projected in some mocks to go higher.  NBAdraft.net had him going 13th.  Draftexpress.com had him going 17th.   We took him 19th.

Is the suggestion that Ainge took Avery 19th, because Avery was good in high school?... because that's kinda silly.  Ainge took Avery 19th, because that was considered decent value for where he was projected.  He was seen as a mid-to-late 1st prospect - we took him in the mid-to-late 1st round.

This really doesn't have anything to do with how Jaylen Brown was seen prior to the draft this year.  Most don't project him as a future all-star.   Back when Smart was drafted, many projected him as a future all-star.   Pointing out that Jaylen, who just went 3rd in a weak draft, was considered one of the best high schoolers in his recruiting class, is kind of pointless.  Cliff Alexander was considered a top 5 recruit in his 2014 high school class (above Karl Towns).  Towns went 1st in 2015.  Cliff Alexander went undrafted.   If we were asking how people felt about Cliff Alexander in 2015 vs how people felt about Anthony Bennett in 2013, what would be the point of bringing up the perception of Cliff Alexander in 2014? 

I'm not saying anyone is wrong to point out that Jaylen was considered a good high schooler.  I'm not saying anyone is wrong for taking Jaylen 3rd in what was widely called a two-player draft.   I'm saying that if you're asking me to compare my excitement of Jaylen in 2016 to my excitement of Marcus in 2014, it's fair to point out that Marcus was seen as a higher caliber prospect then than Jaylen is seen now.   Dispute that all you want, but pointing out how these guys were seen in high school is irrelevant to my comment.  Feel free to share their Pee Wee Basketball stats from when both were 6 years old, it has jack squat to do with anything being discussed here.  And despite acknowledging that Smart was seen as a greater level prospect in 2014 than Jaylen is today, I'm freely admitting that I'm more excited about Jaylen Brown than I was about Smart - primarily because I acknowledge that expert predictions/expectations are frequently wrong.  I'm more hyped about Jaylen despite it going against the grain of popular opinion. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 08:38:19 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #229 on: September 02, 2016, 08:46:49 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

We took Avery Bradley 19th.  It's not like we reached for Avery in the lotto, because he was considered great in high school.   We took him in the late 1st round. 

Funny enough, Avery Bradley was projected in some mocks to go higher.  NBAdraft.net had him going 13th.  Draftexpress.com had him going 17th.   We took him 19th.

Is the suggestion that Ainge took Avery 19th, because Avery was good in high school?... because that's kinda silly.  Ainge took Avery 19th, because that was considered decent value for where he was projected.  He was seen as a mid-to-late 1st prospect - we took him in the mid-to-late 1st round.

This really doesn't have anything to do with how Jaylen Brown was seen prior to the draft this year.  Most don't project him as a future all-star.   Back when Smart was drafted, many projected him as a future all-star.   Pointing out that Jaylen, who just went 3rd in a weak draft, was considered one of the best high schoolers in his recruiting class, is kind of pointless.  Cliff Alexander was considered a top 5 recruit in his 2014 high school class (above Karl Towns).  Towns went 1st in 2015.  Cliff Alexander went undrafted.   If we were asking how people felt about Cliff Alexander in 2015 vs how people felt about Anthony Bennett in 2013, what would be the point of bringing up the perception of Cliff Alexander in 2014? 

I'm not saying anyone is wrong to point out that Jaylen was considered a good high schooler.  I'm not saying anyone is wrong for taking Jaylen 3rd in what was widely called a two-player draft.   I'm saying that if you're asking me to compare my excitement of Jaylen in 2016 to my excitement of Marcus in 2014, it's fair to point out that Marcus was seen as a higher caliber prospect then than Jaylen is seen now.   Dispute that all you want, but pointing out how these guys were seen in high school is irrelevant to my comment.  Feel free to share their Pee Wee Basketball stats from when both were 6 years old, it has jack squat to do with anything being discussed here.  And despite acknowledging that Smart was seen as a greater level prospect in 2014 than Jaylen is today, I'm freely admitting that I'm more excited about Jaylen Brown than I was about Smart - primarily because I acknowledge that expert predictions/expectations are frequently wrong.  I'm more hyped about Jaylen despite it going against the grain of popular opinion.
lol. You say all this stuff as fact. The only resource you have contributed that says Marcus smart was seen as a higher level prospect is Chad freaking ford. You can stomp your feet and put your hands in your ears and scream and yell but that doesn't make what you are proposing any more accurate. Rivals and ESPN had brown as a higher level prospect entering college. What do you have besides Chad ford that says smart was a higher prospect? Sigh

« Reply #230 on: September 02, 2016, 09:00:08 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

lol. You say all this stuff as fact. The only resource you have contributed that says Marcus smart was seen as a higher level prospect is Chad freaking ford.
Wrong.  You're the only one who keeps focusing on Ford.  There were countless sports publications, media heads, mock draft sites, blogs, etc that all widely believed the 2014 draft to be great at the time with Marcus Smart being considered one of the prospects with star potential.   Those same multitude of sources called this draft weak, a two-player draft with just Simmons (and to a lesser extent, Ingram) having star potential.   This is such common knowledge that I don't even feel the need to share additional links.  Google it.  Others in this thread have confirmed what Im saying and you've ignored it. 

You've made it clear you disagree that Smart was seen as a greater prospect.  It's fine if you just have a poor memory, feel like pretending consensus opinion was different, or just want to be combative, but you've offered no evidence to support your memory of 2014.  And honestly, it wouldn't be terribly hard for you to find some outlier blog that thought Smart was going to be a bust in 2014 and was calling Jaylen Brown a future superstar in 2016.  At least then you'd be sharing something relevant to a super important point you've been trying to convince me of for the past 10+ pages (which honestly doesn't matter either way).  Instead you've chosen to whine about Chad Ford, whine about Okafor's trade value, bring up Jaylen's high school recruiting ranking, whine about me in general, etc and then obnoxiously act like I'm trying to push some strange narrative.   

If this is really important to you and you believe we are wrong when we all say that Smart was seen as a better prospect, show us something that says otherwise so you can sleep peacefully at night without this terrible perception floating around that people once thought Smart had an allstar future.  I know it's super hard to believe now after two years of extremely disappointing play, but I assure you that people were once very high on Smart.  Your attempt to constantly change the subject to something semi-related and attempting to shift the argument into something nobody is even talking about is just a giant waste of time.... which is fine as well.  If we're wasting time for the sake of wasting time, I'd rather go back to talking about Rihanna vs Beyonce.  It's more interesting.

I just don't understand your goal, Clay.  Are you trying to convince me that Jaylen is widely seen as a future all-star and Smart wasn't?   I mean, if that's really important to you, go ahead and share me some links and I'll be happy to read them.  I'm already excited enough about Jaylen as-is.  I'd be glad to read some more hype pieces on him.  From what I can see, the broad consensus is that he's not widely expected to develop into a star.  I remember the broad consensus of Smart being much higher on him back in 2014.  Others here have confirmed they remember it the same way.   Is your goal to convince me otherwise?  I'm open-minded, man... go for it.  But sharing me info about Brown a year ago coming out of high school is meaningless to me.  People are basing their perception of Brown on more current information.  His flaws were on display in College.  Those same flaws were on display in SUmmer League.   I'm hopeful he develops into a superstar... but if you're trying to convince me that he's widely expected to develop into a superstar, please share something relevant to your point. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 09:26:06 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #231 on: September 02, 2016, 10:04:12 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

lol. You say all this stuff as fact. The only resource you have contributed that says Marcus smart was seen as a higher level prospect is Chad freaking ford.
Wrong.  You're the only one who keeps focusing on Ford.  There were countless sports publications, media heads, mock draft sites, blogs, etc that all widely believed the 2014 draft to be great at the time with Marcus Smart being considered one of the prospects with star potential.   Those same multitude of sources called this draft weak, a two-player draft with just Simmons (and to a lesser extent, Ingram) having star potential.   This is such common knowledge that I don't even feel the need to share additional links.  Google it.  Others in this thread have confirmed what Im saying and you've ignored it. 

You've made it clear you disagree that Smart was seen as a greater prospect.  It's fine if you just have a poor memory, feel like pretending consensus opinion was different, or just want to be combative, but you've offered no evidence to support your memory of 2014.  And honestly, it wouldn't be terribly hard for you to find some outlier blog that thought Smart was going to be a bust in 2014 and was calling Jaylen Brown a future superstar in 2016.  At least then you'd be sharing something relevant to a super important point you've been trying to convince me of for the past 10+ pages (which honestly doesn't matter either way).  Instead you've chosen to whine about Chad Ford, whine about Okafor's trade value, bring up Jaylen's high school recruiting ranking, whine about me in general, etc and then obnoxiously act like I'm trying to push some strange narrative.   

If this is really important to you and you believe we are wrong when we all say that Smart was seen as a better prospect, show us something that says otherwise so you can sleep peacefully at night without this terrible perception floating around that people once thought Smart had an allstar future.  I know it's super hard to believe now after two years of extremely disappointing play, but I assure you that people were once very high on Smart.  Your attempt to constantly change the subject to something semi-related and attempting to shift the argument into something nobody is even talking about is just a giant waste of time.... which is fine as well.  If we're wasting time for the sake of wasting time, I'd rather go back to talking about Rihanna vs Beyonce.  It's more interesting.

I just don't understand your goal, Clay.  Are you trying to convince me that Jaylen is widely seen as a future all-star and Smart wasn't?   I mean, if that's really important to you, go ahead and share me some links and I'll be happy to read them.  I'm already excited enough about Jaylen as-is.  I'd be glad to read some more hype pieces on him.  From what I can see, the broad consensus is that he's not widely expected to develop into a star.  I remember the broad consensus of Smart being much higher on him back in 2014.  Others here have confirmed they remember it the same way.   Is your goal to convince me otherwise?  I'm open-minded, man... go for it.  But sharing me info about Brown a year ago coming out of high school is meaningless to me.  People are basing their perception of Brown on more current information.  His flaws were on display in College.  Those same flaws were on display in SUmmer League.   I'm hopeful he develops into a superstar... but if you're trying to convince me that he's widely expected to develop into a superstar, please share something relevant to your point.

1) your write to much. I honestly didn't read that all
2) saying more with less is a strength
3) I don't think you have provided any links besides 4 and just have referenced "publications and blogs say" In the abstract. I honestly haven't seen anything like that

Also who is the "we" in we all say? Many people said they agreed with me throughout this thread. Do I need to bump?

« Reply #232 on: September 02, 2016, 10:25:44 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

3) I don't think you have provided any links besides 4 and just have referenced "publications and blogs say" In the abstract. I honestly haven't seen anything like that

Also who is the "we" in we all say? Many people said they agreed with me throughout this thread. Do I need to bump?
Ok clay.  Bottom line:  You either have a poor memory or you're incapable of understanding that perceptions change over time.  If your goal was to convince me that Smart wasn't seen as a better prospect in 2014 than Jaylen is seen today, you've done a poor job accomplishing it.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 10:33:33 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #233 on: September 02, 2016, 11:37:02 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Ok clay.  Bottom line:  You either have a poor memory or you're incapable of understanding that perceptions change over time.  If your goal was to convince me that Smart wasn't seen as a better prospect in 2014 than Jaylen is seen today, you've done a poor job accomplishing it.
perhaps to you chode McGovern 😂

« Reply #234 on: September 02, 2016, 11:58:37 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

perhaps to you chode McGovern 😂

« Reply #235 on: September 03, 2016, 02:44:00 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 ESPN top 100 had Smart at #10 in 2012

#1 Noel
#2 Shabazz Muhammad
#3 Isaiah Austin
#4 Tarzenski
#5 Kyle Anderson
#6 Steven Adams
#7 Anthony Bennett
#8 Cameron Ridley
#9 Grant Jerrett
#10 Marcus Smart

2015 ESPN top 100

#1 Ben Simmons
#2 Skal Labissiere
#3 Brandon Ingram
#4 Jaylen Brown

« Reply #236 on: September 03, 2016, 12:38:03 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

#1 Noel
#2 Shabazz Muhammad
#3 Isaiah Austin
#4 Tarzenski
#5 Kyle Anderson
#6 Steven Adams
#7 Anthony Bennett
#8 Cameron Ridley
#9 Grant Jerrett
#10 Marcus Smart

2015 ESPN top 100

#1 Ben Simmons
#2 Skal Labissiere
#3 Brandon Ingram
#4 Jaylen Brown

Thanks this is in line with what I have seen

« Reply #237 on: September 03, 2016, 12:45:00 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Yes.

As things stand now, Brown is going to have to break out if they are going to move much off 50 wins.
Unless they get somebody else up front besides Horford to get the ball.

« Reply #238 on: September 03, 2016, 01:06:58 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

#1 Noel
#2 Shabazz Muhammad
#3 Isaiah Austin
#4 Tarzenski
#5 Kyle Anderson
#6 Steven Adams
#7 Anthony Bennett
#8 Cameron Ridley
#9 Grant Jerrett
#10 Marcus Smart

2015 ESPN top 100

#1 Ben Simmons
#2 Skal Labissiere
#3 Brandon Ingram
#4 Jaylen Brown
Funny what a year of college does

« Reply #239 on: September 03, 2016, 01:16:18 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

#1 Noel
#2 Shabazz Muhammad
#3 Isaiah Austin
#4 Tarzenski
#5 Kyle Anderson
#6 Steven Adams
#7 Anthony Bennett
#8 Cameron Ridley
#9 Grant Jerrett
#10 Marcus Smart

2015 ESPN top 100

#1 Ben Simmons
#2 Skal Labissiere
#3 Brandon Ingram
#4 Jaylen Brown
Funny what a year of college does

Interestingly for last year 3 of the top 4 guys went 1 2 3 in the draft in the same order. Got to hand it to the scouts on that one.