Author Topic: Summer 2018 verified moves  (Read 84086 times)

Re: Summer 2018 verified moves
« Reply #300 on: July 07, 2018, 09:33:11 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Two dumbest moves in free agency on the same transaction by two of the dumbest front offices in the NBA. LaVine's a one-trick pony and winning the slam dunk trophy is his trick.
Before he got hurt, Lavine shot 52% from 2, 39% from 3 and 84% from the line scoring 19 a game on just 15 shots.  I'd say he does more than dunk.

The real question is did his injury change his game as he wasn't very good in his limited action last year (which isn't surprising but would still give me pause)

You could also say he's mediocre offensively and awful defensively. His best offensive year was 2016-17 with a mediocre 14.6 PER and he only matched that this year by jacking his usage up to a hair under 30%. On the other side of the ball, his Real Defensive +/- has been in the bottom 20% of the league every year. He sure can dunk though.
PER doesn't tell you much of anything. Jaylen Brown had a 13.6 PER this year for example.

19 points on 15 shots is excellent scoring efficiency. That us 1.27 points per shot.   The greatest scorer ever, Jordan, finished his career at 1.3 pps.

LaVine doesn't do much else but he was an incredibly efficient scorer before he got hurt.  Significantly better than mediocre in that department. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #301 on: July 07, 2018, 10:30:08 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
The Bulls have decided to match Sacramento's $78M offer sheet to Zach LaVine, league sources tell ESPN.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1015413847866216449?s=21
Yikes!!!  So many stupid GMs in the league.
lol this is great

Kings miss out on a good player which is good for us. I know the contract was terrible but I'm only worried about the pick

I’m more worried about them being dumb enough to offer Smart something similar. They aren’t done yet.

Lets be honest what would Smart add to that team 1 win? Not saying they wouldn't do something dumb and grossly overpay but do I hope they don't make these offers after 3 hours of sitting at the bar doing shots of tequila!

« Reply #302 on: July 07, 2018, 10:34:19 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
The Bulls have decided to match Sacramento's $78M offer sheet to Zach LaVine, league sources tell ESPN.

lol this is great

Kings miss out on a good player which is good for us. I know the contract was terrible but I'm only worried about the pick

I’m more worried about them being dumb enough to offer Smart something similar. They aren’t done yet.

Lets be honest what would Smart add to that team 1 win? Not saying they wouldn't do something dumb and grossly overpay but do I hope they don't make these offers after 3 hours of sitting at the bar doing shots of tequila!

They just offered 20m/y to lavine who is returning from serious injury. They are more than capable.of offering 13 14m to Smart!

« Reply #303 on: July 07, 2018, 10:40:28 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

lol this is great

They just offered 20m/y to lavine who is returning from serious injury. They are more than capable.of offering 13 14m to Smart!

They need a shooter. Fox cant shoot well. Unlikely they would make offer to Smart.

« Reply #304 on: July 07, 2018, 11:10:10 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Predictable, though.

I know I'm in the minority, but matching Lavine seems a good move to me. He has upside.

« Reply #305 on: July 07, 2018, 11:18:39 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Predictable, though.

I know I'm in the minority, but matching Lavine seems a good move to me. He has upside.

I think it's an overpay, but a lot can happen in a year.  I remember arguing with several fans that Victor Oladipo wasn't a bad contract last year.  VO's deal was being treated like an albatross.  Now he looks like he might be underpaid.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #306 on: July 07, 2018, 11:21:55 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Predictable, though.

I'm with you. Lavine at 20 million a year doesn't hurt the Bulls. Its not like they could spend that money in a better way.

I don't think people realize how good of an offensive talent Lavine is. He is a pretty good passer and doesn't turn the ball over much. They ran him at point guard a bit the first two years. He probably isn't a point guard, but he has play-making skills.

Also, he is a dynamic shooter -- something that falls by the wayside because he is a dunk champion. He needs to work on his shot selection a bit, but what young scorer doesn't?

Even though he is skinny, his ability to draw fouls it pretty good as well, getting a 44% free throw rate last healthy season in Minny.

This could look like a bargain next year. He might not get to this level, but I think he definitely has the ability to get to 25-27 points a game on a 6-10 Eastern Conference seed team.

« Reply #307 on: July 07, 2018, 12:05:35 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Jerebko released by the Jazz

Would love to see him back in Boston

« Reply #308 on: July 07, 2018, 12:16:47 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
Aron Baynes officially signed, good news for the C's.

"The Boston Celtics have re-signed center Aron Baynes, the team announced today. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed. Baynes, 31, started in 67 of his 81 games played during his first season with the Celtics in 2017-18, averaging 6.0 points (47.1% FG, 75.6% FT) and 5.4 rebounds in 18.3 minutes. He anchored the Celtics league-leading defense, which allowed just 97.6 points per 100 possessions with him on the court (3rd best among players who played in half of their team’s games)."

https://www.nba.com/celtics/news/pressrelease/celtics-re-sign-aron-baynes

« Reply #309 on: July 07, 2018, 01:38:36 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Forward Jonas Jerebko plans to sign with the Golden State Warriors upon clearing waivers on Monday, league sources tell ESPN. Jerebko has a $4.2M salary that would need to be guaranteed if he's claimed.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1015650224067563520

« Reply #310 on: July 07, 2018, 02:18:34 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Lavine is athletically gifted but lacks basketball IQ. he’s gotten by with his great hops and speed and never really developed a smart game like Donovan Mitchell. I doubt he will ever amount to much.

« Reply #311 on: July 07, 2018, 02:36:49 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Two dumbest moves in free agency on the same transaction by two of the dumbest front offices in the NBA. LaVine's a one-trick pony and winning the slam dunk trophy is his trick.

What, exactly, was dumb on Sacramento's part? Offering Lavine a big contract and forcing the Bulls to match is what bad teams do. It makes both the players and agents look more favorably toward them, and locks up more of the matching team's payroll long term

This was a strategy used by the Nets and 76ers in the past 5 years or so
I'm bitter.

« Reply #312 on: July 07, 2018, 02:44:37 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

What, exactly, was dumb on Sacramento's part? Offering Lavine a big contract and forcing the Bulls to match is what bad teams do. It makes both the players and agents look more favorably toward them, and locks up more of the matching team's payroll long term

The Sixers didn't use that strategy.  Other than Colangelo's stupid 3 year Bayless deal, the Sixers maintained their cap space and used it to acquire picks in salary dump trades. 

« Reply #313 on: July 07, 2018, 02:56:42 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Remember when the Warriors signed DeAndre Jordan? Weird to think back on it now.

« Reply #314 on: July 07, 2018, 03:02:31 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Forward Jonas Jerebko plans to sign with the Golden State Warriors upon clearing waivers on Monday, league sources tell ESPN. Jerebko has a $4.2M salary that would need to be guaranteed if he's claimed.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1015650224067563520

Jonas, nooooooooooo!! Say it ain't so!!
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis