Author Topic: Podcast: Should the Lakers trade for Kyrie Irving if they miss out on LeBron?  (Read 3441 times)

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Yeah, let's do business with the Lakers and help them out.   ::)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I don't understand why everyone assumes all of these high profile players want to play for the Lakers. From what I can remember, Shaq was the last elite free agent to sign with them, and that was 22 years ago. To make matters worse, why would these free agents want to get anywhere near Lavar Ball.

As for Kyrie, the Lakers have nothing to offer to a team like Boston, that is trying to win now.

The Lakers have been rejected more lately than desired. But to be fair, Dwight Howard, an old Steve Nash, Chris Paul all wanted to go there. Then they didn't really have money for a while and when they did, they weren't very good. I'm not saying it's the destination it once was, but saying it's not a desirable place to play is sort of like how people were talking about how Boston never signs good free agents. It's all about circumstance.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Lakers have no shot at trading for Irving.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
sign and trade for Thomas?

Ha ha.  In all seriousness, trading Irving for prospects just doesn't make sense for this Celtics team.  I think in a vacuum though Ingram and Ball/Kuzma for Irving is probably solid value given the uncertainty with both Irving's knee and contract situation.  Again though, that type o trade makes no sense for Boston in its current position.  Now if there was a 3rd team with a star coming back to Boston in the trade, that would make more sense. 

Something like

Bos - Kawhi, Ball
LAL - Irving,
SAS - Ingram, Morris, Rozier, Bos 19 1st

In a vacuum, that seems like reasonable enough value for all 3 teams.  Though unless Leonard and Irving both ask out, I don't see why either of those teams would make that trade.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Lakers be last team in NBA i do business with!
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
LOL. There is literally nothing they could offer us that would convince Ainge to do this.

They have no guards who would start on this team, no wings and no bigs either. Unless DA and Brad want a team made entirely of wings they’re dreaming

So not even for Ingram?

I do like Kuzma and Hart but these pieces wouldnt be enough

I don't get why anybody would feel that Ingram or Kuzma has more than middle of the road trade value.  Those guys both look like borderline starter material to me.

You think Ingram is a borderline starter? 

17 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 39.0% 3PT%?

Which bench players are producing like that, let alone at 20 years old?

On a good team Ingram wouldn't be producing like that.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
LOL. There is literally nothing they could offer us that would convince Ainge to do this.

They have no guards who would start on this team, no wings and no bigs either. Unless DA and Brad want a team made entirely of wings they’re dreaming

So not even for Ingram?

I don't get why anybody would feel that Ingram or Kuzma has more than middle of the road trade value.  Those guys both look like borderline starter material to me.

If you swapped Brown with Ingram last season, you don't think he'd be putting up some pretty solid production?  I think he would.  Maybe not as great as Jaylen did but I don't think the dropoff would be terrible.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

So not even for Ingram?

If you swapped Brown with Ingram last season, you don't think he'd be putting up some pretty solid production?  I think he would.  Maybe not as great as Jaylen did but I don't think the dropoff would be terrible.

I don't think he would be able to produce in the same way, no, and I think he'd be much less of an asset defensively compared to Jaylen.

Ingram is more of an isolation scorer than Jaylen, doesn't have the same tools to make the most of limited touches or opportunities. Not as prolific an outside shooter.  Wants to play like a slower poor man's Durant.  I don't think that would fit in the offense of a team with multiple capable scorers.  He would come off the bench.

I think on a good team Ingram is putting up 10-12 points per game with a handful of rebounds and assists in a 25 mpg type of role.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

So not even for Ingram?

the downside of Ingram though is that he has been injury prone so far (wear and tear).  Brown has been durable for the most part

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

So not even for Ingram?

the downside of Ingram though is that he has been injury prone so far (wear and tear).  Brown has been durable for the most part

He had one rough year.  Last season. 

He played 79 games his rookie season & played 36 games in his one season at Duke

To say he's been "injury prone" is a bit disingenuous.

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Ha ha.  In all seriousness, trading Irving for prospects just doesn't make sense for this Celtics team.  I think in a vacuum though Ingram and Ball/Kuzma for Irving is probably solid value given the uncertainty with both Irving's knee and contract situation.  Again though, that type o trade makes no sense for Boston in its current position.  Now if there was a 3rd team with a star coming back to Boston in the trade, that would make more sense. 

Something like

Bos - Kawhi, Ball
LAL - Irving,

In a vacuum, that seems like reasonable enough value for all 3 teams.  Though unless Leonard and Irving both ask out, I don't see why either of those teams would make that trade.

If Irving asked out of Boston...The Celtics would gladly add Leonard...

But the above trade shafts the Spurs and the Lakers make out like bandits.  So:

To Boston:  Leonard, Lakers 2018 first
To Lakers:  Irving
To Spurs:  Ingram, Ball, Morris, Clippers pick, Memphis pick, Lakers 2020 first

a little better but I think the Spurs still reject it...they'd want Sac pick instead of Memphis/LA picks...then it gets too pricey for Celtics.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Something like

Bos - Kawhi, Ball
LAL - Irving,

a little better but I think the Spurs still reject it...they'd want Sac pick instead of Memphis/LA picks...then it gets too pricey for Celtics.
slight problem there --  the Laker's first round pick this year belongs to Philly

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

So not even for Ingram?

I also don’t think Ingram’s production is due to being on a “bad” team. The Lakers wentsomething like 16-7 in the last 23 games he played. Him taking a bigger role directly impacted wins.

He’s 20 years old and played really well.  Lakers fans have a right to value him highly.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Something like

Bos - Kawhi, Ball
LAL - Irving,

slight problem there --  the Laker's first round pick this year belongs to Philly

Oh..I meant pick 25.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Something like

Bos - Kawhi, Ball
LAL - Irving,

TP for the bolded, lol.

But this is where I'm at. We're looking at a championship caliber team this season with everyone healthy. Why would the Celtics take a step back from that?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008