Author Topic: Henry Ellenson Vs Sabonis  (Read 5741 times)

Henry Ellenson Vs Sabonis
« on: February 04, 2016, 03:19:32 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 I've been thinking a lot for best big man fit for the Celtics. Drive and determination, passion and will to win play a significant factor to me.
 That's why I recently dropped AJ Hammons from my list, He's a monster of a man, but he doesn't always hustle or sprint back on defense.

First Sabonis. Love his passion, energy, BBall IQ, Legendary Bloodlines.
 Tremendous rebounder, that skill will translate to the NBA right away.

He's a very good, smart defender as well, slides his feet well guards the pick and roll, solid low post defender. Good Perimeter defender. Awesome footwork in the post. Super crafty with his footwork, Runs the floor very well, Great hands, actually has the quickness and ball handling to drive to the rim. Very good in the pick and roll dives to the rim.

Negatives, Not long at all, not explosive, doesn't get many steals or blocks. May struggle with NBA length, but footwork spin moves may save him. Not much range offensively.

He's avg 17ppg and 11.5 rpg his per 40 are 22.5 ppg and 15.2 rpg!

For his career he's shooting a fantastic .644% from the field.

I can't stress enough how much energy, passion, and Celtic pride this kid plays with. If there wasn't such a need for spacing in today's game I'd take him any day.

Re: Henry Ellenson Vs Sabonis
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 03:25:02 PM »

Offline tomrod

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 26
Yeah, I like Sabonis and Valentine with our middle picks so far. Hield and Zimmerman are others I'd consider. Still a long way to go.

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 03:41:14 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Now Ellenson. I was not excited about this kid initially. Now I think he has the most complete skillset among all the big men.

What may warm you up to Ellenson is that he's a very good rim protector and shot blocker. I've seen Marquette play a lot now, and this kid plays long. He's listed as a 7'2" wingspan and he looks longer than that.

Jakob Poeltel was 9ppg 7 rpg as a freshman.

Henry Ellenson is 16ppg and 10rpg

So Ellenson can shoot from deep, rebounds very well, great size and length, blocks shots and changes shots all over the court, runs the floor pretty well. Tons of versatility.

Problems? His shooting percentages! I know he plays more perimeter than most bigs, but .425% from the field? From a 6'10" power forward, in college? That's a concern. only .288% from three solid .750% from the free throw line.

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 03:42:17 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
Yeah, I like Sabonis and Valentine with our middle picks so far. Hield and Zimmerman are others I'd consider. Still a long way to go.

TP Tomrod, I love Sabonis and Valentine.

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 03:43:35 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Watch Sabonis's draftexpress video and tell me you don't want him.

https://youtu.be/ZyIU4_tyDo0

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 03:45:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I liked Ellenson earlier in the year, but a power forward shooting 43% in college just makes me think he might be a bit too much like Jared Sullinger or Julius Randle.

The Celts need to add players with a combination of talent, size, and athleticism.  I'd look to Poeltl, Skal, or Rabb before going with Ellenson.  Might even take a risk on Diallo or Stone.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 04:12:22 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

PhoSIta, what about Sabonis, any opinion on the legend's son.

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 05:00:05 PM »

Offline notthebowler

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 27
I like Sabonis, but he reminds me a bit of Greg Monroe.  As was mentioned above, he lacks range on his jumper, lacks length and I'm not as impressed with his lateral quickness.  I think he will struggle against the pick & roll.

His post game is sooo polished, though.  I love watching him at Gonzaga.  Great footwork, an assortment of post moves, etc.  He's a bit of a throwback.

The other names- Ellenson, Poeltl and Valentine would all make me happy.  Also, I'm higher on Hammons than you are, KGLL.  For his first three years of college ball I felt exactly like you do, but this year I've significantly warmed up to him.  It may have to do with the fact that I've watched as many of his games this year than I did in the prior 3 combined.

I don't think he'll be great, but for a seven footer who will be taken with a late first round pick (or later) I think he will be a solid, productive NBA player, with legit size and length for his position.  he doesn't have the motor of Kenneth Faried, but not many guys his size do.

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 05:02:51 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

I'd be curious for someone to try and rate his athleticism.

Check out the spin move at 1 minute. Best dunk is at 23 seconds.

https://youtu.be/aIwCNGhR6cc

He's quicker, more agile, faster, than Olynyk. Kelly can jump higher max vertical for sure. He also moves better than Kelly laterally.

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 05:05:40 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
I like Sabonis, but he reminds me a bit of Greg Monroe.  As was mentioned above, he lacks range on his jumper, lacks length and I'm not as impressed with his lateral quickness.  I think he will struggle against the pick & roll.

His post game is sooo polished, though.  I love watching him at Gonzaga.  Great footwork, an assortment of post moves, etc.  He's a bit of a throwback.

The other names- Ellenson, Poeltl and Valentine would all make me happy.  Also, I'm higher on Hammons than you are, KGLL.  For his first three years of college ball I felt exactly like you do, but this year I've significantly warmed up to him.  It may have to do with the fact that I've watched as many of his games this year than I did in the prior 3 combined.

I don't think he'll be great, but for a seven footer who will be taken with a late first round pick (or later) I think he will be a solid, productive NBA player, with legit size and length for his position.  he doesn't have the motor of Kenneth Faried, but not many guys his size do.

TP, Not Bowler.

I think your wrong about his lateral quickness though. It's outstanding for a kid his size. Still willing to take Hammons later in the draft.

Just imagine Sabonis with another 20 pounds on him. Monster.

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 05:16:38 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I liked Ellenson earlier in the year, but a power forward shooting 43% in college just makes me think he might be a bit too much like Jared Sullinger or Julius Randle.

The Celts need to add players with a combination of talent, size, and athleticism.  I'd look to Poeltl, Skal, or Rabb before going with Ellenson.  Might even take a risk on Diallo or Stone.

Yeah, I've seen Ellenson fairly high in some mocks. Imagine if he is the player we took with the BKN pick? Omg, I don't want to think about that  :(

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 05:24:26 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
 Both Kelly and Sabonis went to the same school Gonzaga so lets take a look at the stats. Kelly didn't explode until year three.

Kelly Junior year

Kelly 18 ppg 7 rpg per 40 stats of 27 ppg 11 rpg .594% Career FG

Sabonis Sophmore Year

17 ppg 11.5 rpg per 40 stats  22.5 ppg 15.2 rpg .638% Career FG

It's clear Kelly is the more talented scorer which is great. Sabonis the more talented rebounder for sure. Sabonis may become one of the best rebounders in the NBA with more strength that should come with age.

For that reason alone I'd take him in the mid to late first.

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 07:07:46 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Gotta be impressed by both their FG% it has worked out well for Kelly so far.

If Sabonis can knock down the 16 footers he could be really nice too.

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 07:14:24 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I'd be curious for someone to try and rate his athleticism.

Check out the spin move at 1 minute. Best dunk is at 23 seconds.

https://youtu.be/aIwCNGhR6cc

He's quicker, more agile, faster, than Olynyk. Kelly can jump higher max vertical for sure. He also moves better than Kelly laterally.

Olynyk shot 63% from the floor his last year at Gonzaga (the first year when he played significant minutes).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 07:31:44 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Yeah I know, If you see how I worded it I put in Career FG% at the end for both of them.