Author Topic: Embiid to the celtics (ESPN Mock)  (Read 13782 times)

Re: Embiid to the celtics (ESPN Mock)
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2014, 03:52:49 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I wouldn't a big who has back problems and just had a stress fracture that needed surgery means red flags. It's deep draft I don't think the top 4 teams picking would take a gamble on a big who is riddled  with injuries.
The experts claimed he was by far the best prospect.  The clear #1 pick.  The injury will be enough to drop him out of the #1 position, but no way he falls all the way to #6 unless the medical reports paint the picture of a player who will never be the same.

But how many teams know the extent of his health? According to rumors, his agent only allowed the Celtics and the Lakers to have a peek at his medical records. The other teams picking ahead of the Celtics are basically picking blind. It also doesn't matter if he's the best prospect, he was always a risk healthy or not. He's very raw and there are other safe players such as Wiggins/Parker.

« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2014, 03:57:16 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I wouldn't a big who has back problems and just had a stress fracture that needed surgery means red flags. It's deep draft I don't think the top 4 teams picking would take a gamble on a big who is riddled  with injuries.
The experts claimed he was by far the best prospect.  The clear #1 pick.  The injury will be enough to drop him out of the #1 position, but no way he falls all the way to #6 unless the medical reports paint the picture of a player who will never be the same.

That's how I've been seeing it.  If he's available at #6, something is very wrong medically.
Maybe, but agents have steered clients successfully before. If he truly is only showing his medical records to Boston/LA then I can see him slipping that far even if he outlook isn't terrible.

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2014, 04:01:29 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

That's how I've been seeing it.  If he's available at #6, something is very wrong medically.
Maybe, but agents have steered clients successfully before. If he truly is only showing his medical records to Boston/LA then I can see him slipping that far even if he outlook isn't terrible.

Perhaps.  I just think a lot of what is going on right now is wishful thinking for him to drop under the justification of either "the other teams ahead of us are incompetent" or "our doctors will fix him up like they did to Sully"

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2014, 04:01:42 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
If the Celtics are going to be bad again next season, i would pick him..that way he can sit out the wholke season like Noel did with Philly
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2014, 04:03:13 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'll just post this here, but can someone from the front page change this crappy column title: "Celtics trade for Love, Wolves take Gordon"... very misleading.

« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2014, 04:05:18 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Perhaps.  I just think a lot of what is going on right now is wishful thinking for him to drop under the justification of either "the other teams ahead of us are incompetent" or "our doctors will fix him up like they did to Sully"
Probably.

I do think the 76ers just take him and hope for the best.

« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2014, 04:19:36 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

I don't think the doctors above the Celtics are incompetent, it's just that they're working blind without knowing his medical records. It's a huge risk to take Embiid, but I think the Celtics are the only team that can afford to take that risk, because of need and the fact they have a lot of draft picks they can use in the next few years.

« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2014, 04:31:09 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

I don't think the doctors above the Celtics are incompetent, it's just that they're working blind without knowing his medical records. It's a huge risk to take Embiid, but I think the Celtics are the only team that can afford to take that risk, because of need and the fact they have a lot of draft picks they can use in the next few years.

I think Philly has already shown they can afford to take that risk also.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2014, 04:34:20 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
I agree, but I think they play it safe and not take a chance on another injury plagued big man.

« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2014, 04:45:01 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I agree, but I think they play it safe and not take a chance on another injury plagued big man.
You really think Philly cares about consequences like that? You know we're talking about a team that gave away guys for a bag of chips to strictly tank right?
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2014, 04:48:23 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
You really think Philly cares about consequences like that? You know we're talking about a team that gave away guys for a bag of chips to strictly tank right?

And they could always just draft Embiid and trade Noel. Embiid has the higher ceiling, so why not take him and flip Nerlens for future assets?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2014, 04:52:02 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

And they could always just draft Embiid and trade Noel. Embiid has the higher ceiling, so why not take him and flip Nerlens for future assets?

and what if two years later Embiid's career is over from injuries while Noel is entering all-star status?

« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2014, 04:53:48 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

and what if two years later Embiid's career is over from injuries?
Theyll have another great pick the next year to fall on
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2014, 04:58:25 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

and what if two years later Embiid's career is over from injuries?
Theyll have another great pick the next year to fall on

but they have that anyway, and they would have wasted a chance at a superstar such as Exum.

« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2014, 05:03:33 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I think Embiid will slide to sixth.  Last year, Noel was the best player in the draft and the prognosis for his knee were more encouraging than Embiid's foot and back.  The majority of the mocks had Noel going first right up until the day of the draft and he still slid to sixth.  The same will happen with Embiid.  All the rumors of Philly, Cleveland, and Orlando still taking him are just posturing by those teams.  There are too many talented players availabe for them to gamble on Embiid.