Author Topic: Westbrook threatens female fan and her husband  (Read 20700 times)

Re: Westbrook threatens female fan and her husband
« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2019, 06:52:26 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
If someone posted this, then I apologize for the redundant response however the Utah Jazz announced a ban of this fan from the Vivant Smart Arena.

https://www.nba.com/article/2019/03/12/utah-jazz-statement-fan-russell-westbrook-official-release

Personally, I couldn't be happier. Regardless of whatever he said to Westbrook, he just should've kept his comments to himself because you're basically asking for trouble if your heckling a fan.

Heckling is part of the fun of being a fan.

If it was racial then great, right course of action taken.

but if it wasnt racial it sets a BAD precident. where is the line drawn. Can you yell and boo? can you  wave pool noodles while underneath the basket during free throws? can you cheer for airballs? heckling and booing and trash talking players is part of the game and commonplace.

Players from both the Thunder *and the Jazz* have come out in support of Russ and stating that they believe his story of events.
There's an UNQUESTIONABLY racist tweet the fan randomly sent in October telling Westbrook to "go back to where he came from"... that being L.A. Oh, and don't forget the dogwhistle #MAGA hashtag at the end.
There's another tweet where the guy makes it clear beyond doubt that he doesn't like Westbrook.
Utah's banned the guy for life.

I'm not sure why there's still a disbelief that he was being racist. Is it that hard to believe the guy who's demonstrated he holds racist and antagonistic beliefs and views towards an athlete would say something racist to that same athlete? He wasn't banned merely for heckling. It's pretty clear the line is "don't be racist, homophobic, or otherwise bigoted and you're all set."

Apparently the tweet was fake.

And players should stick up for one another.

Again just playing devils advocate, but there is not real proof as of right now.

You don't know what the Jazz actually have.  Maybe they do.

Do you really think they would just ban the guy with no corroborating evidence at the risk of the guy coming after them in the courts?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #121 on: March 12, 2019, 06:57:53 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
There's an UNQUESTIONABLY racist tweet the fan randomly sent in October telling Westbrook to "go back to where he came from"... that being L.A. Oh, and don't forget the dogwhistle #MAGA hashtag at the end

Is the “that being LA” part yours, or his?

If he’s referring to LA, I’m not sure that’s racist. If the tweet to a black guy was “go back to where you came from” followed by #MAGA, I would assume the “where” is Africa. And yes, that’s extremely racist.

I do have to say, I am still shocked when people make overtly racist comments and public. I expect it in private, within closed groups, etc. In general though I thought racists where a little better at covering their tracks.

But, racist or not, it doesn’t excuse the violent statements directed toward women. Excusing that just plays into the power and control/toxic masculinity that these abusers thrive on.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #122 on: March 12, 2019, 06:58:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If someone posted this, then I apologize for the redundant response however the Utah Jazz announced a ban of this fan from the Vivant Smart Arena.

https://www.nba.com/article/2019/03/12/utah-jazz-statement-fan-russell-westbrook-official-release

Personally, I couldn't be happier. Regardless of whatever he said to Westbrook, he just should've kept his comments to himself because you're basically asking for trouble if your heckling a fan.

but if it wasnt racial it sets a BAD precident. where is the line drawn. Can you yell and boo? can you  wave pool noodles while underneath the basket during free throws? can you cheer for airballs? heckling and booing and trash talking players is part of the game and commonplace.

Players from both the Thunder *and the Jazz* have come out in support of Russ and stating that they believe his story of events.
There's an UNQUESTIONABLY racist tweet the fan randomly sent in October telling Westbrook to "go back to where he came from"... that being L.A. Oh, and don't forget the dogwhistle #MAGA hashtag at the end.
There's another tweet where the guy makes it clear beyond doubt that he doesn't like Westbrook.

I'm not sure why there's still a disbelief that he was being racist. Is it that hard to believe the guy who's demonstrated he holds racist and antagonistic beliefs and views towards an athlete would say something racist to that same athlete? He wasn't banned merely for heckling. It's pretty clear the line is "don't be racist, homophobic, or otherwise bigoted and you're all set."

Apparently the tweet was fake.

And players should stick up for one another.

Again just playing devils advocate, but there is not real proof as of right now.
The reporting of the tweet being fake was wrong. He indeed tweeted racial crap and it was not faked. He deleted the posts but, like everything online, it leaves a trail and the tweet was found.

« Reply #123 on: March 12, 2019, 07:04:32 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
More to the point, it makes all the legal sense in the world for the Jazz not to make any explicit reference to or accusation of racism on the fan's part in their public statement.

There's an UNQUESTIONABLY racist tweet the fan randomly sent in October telling Westbrook to "go back to where he came from"... that being L.A. Oh, and don't forget the dogwhistle #MAGA hashtag at the end

If he’s referring to LA, I’m not sure that’s racist. If the tweet to a black guy was “go back to where you came from” followed by #MAGA, I would assume the “where” is Africa. And yes, that’s extremely racist.

I do have to say, I am still shocked when people make overtly racist comments and public. I expect it in private, within closed groups, etc. In general though I thought racists where a little better at covering their tracks.

But, racist or not, it doesn’t excuse the violent statements directed toward women. Excusing that just plays into the power and control/toxic masculinity that these abusers thrive on.

The LA part is mine. He said "Russell Westbrook needs to go back where he came from! #MAGA." Zero question that's racist unless you believe, you know, "'going back to where you came from' has zero to do with race."

I'm not excusing Westbrook's remarks. I just feel he was penalized accordingly all things considered. I do believe the woman repeated the guy's remarks because I simply don't see the NBA seeing the video of Westbrook's reaction, watching Westbrook double down when he said "I directed comments at the woman because she repeated the remark" in the interview, and then letting it slide if it turned out not to be true. They gave him the minimum fine for verbal abuse of fans. They've got to have felt strongly that he was provoked into that.

« Reply #124 on: March 12, 2019, 07:06:02 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Yeah but if you accept one slippery slope argument, then eventually you'll have to accept all of them, and think of how awful that would be!

"going back to where you came  from" has zero to do with race no matter who it is directed at on the planet

Lol holy cow this is not helping your credibility here.

« Reply #125 on: March 12, 2019, 07:07:08 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Exactly, there's a difference between heckling (aka booing) and just being a downright ****.

Plus, if you're sitting as close to the players as this idiot was, it's common sense to conduct yourself in a respectful manner.
If I had seats that nice and that close to the court, I wouldn't ruin my experience just so I can get under the skin of the players who are trying to do their jobs.

« Reply #126 on: March 12, 2019, 07:38:43 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The guy had to say something, not like Westbrook has a history of this type of behavior.  Still as a pro, you have to restrain yourself.

In some ways the world was a more civil place, when guys could punch people for saying stuff like this crap.   It was handled and the guy learned his lesson not to mouth off.   Now people feel so protected by their first amendment rights and the threat of lawsuits that it encourages this type of behavior.

We will never be able to legislate morality.  There will always be racists.

« Reply #127 on: March 12, 2019, 07:45:38 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Sure, mister dopey racist guy deserves to be told don't show your face around here, you ain't wanted.  People like that need to go crawl in their hole.

But it's pretty [dang] disgraceful Russ gets what amounts to a $10 fine to the average person.  So threatening a fan with physical violence is pretty much accepted as far as the NBA is concerned?  How many times is Russ going to be allowed to be confrontational with fans? This is becoming a pattern with him.

« Reply #128 on: March 12, 2019, 10:47:22 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=99315.0

Started the above thread very recently.  I'm for no tolerance of racist behavior.  And I wish more fans who are nearby to such reprehensible people would make the nearby racists more uncomfortable.  If I were sitting next to or a few seats from a fan who started hurling racist taunts, I would confront them verbally, and if they didn't stop the behavior I'd throw my drink at them and see where that led. 

I'm completely sick of the incredible tolerance for racism that is all around.

Apparently, the family members of the hockey player in the above story were asked to move seats, rather than the people abusing them with racist taunts being removed.  In the end, thankfully two fans were banned from the Quebec hockey arena where this took place.

https://cces.ca/blog/there-must-be-consequences-racist-behaviour-sport
Another incident in Quebec involved young teenage minorities playing hockey in Quebec.  Thank God the US is doing better than Quebec on this, and that most of the NBA is doing better than Utah. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 11:03:13 PM by wiley »

« Reply #129 on: March 13, 2019, 12:52:33 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Sure, mister dopey racist guy deserves to be told don't show your face around here, you ain't wanted.  People like that need to go crawl in their hole.

But it's pretty [dang] disgraceful Russ gets what amounts to a $10 fine to the average person.  So threatening a fan with physical violence is pretty much accepted as far as the NBA is concerned?  How many times is Russ going to be allowed to be confrontational with fans? This is becoming a pattern with him.
Yep, completely agree. Russ seems to do this every couple of months. You just know when playoffs roll around some team is going to try and incite him to come into the crowd and get suspended
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #130 on: March 13, 2019, 02:19:07 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Would love some wanna be tough guy like Westbrook step to someone like that and have that person pull guard and throw a triangle choke on him.

Would be funny.

Sounds like somebody still lives in their parent's basement and watches too many kung-fu movies.
Hey I don't live in a basement thank you very much :laugh:, and I don't watch many kung-fu movies.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #131 on: March 13, 2019, 02:25:06 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Would love some wanna be tough guy like Westbrook step to someone like that and have that person pull guard and throw a triangle choke on him.

Would be funny.

Sounds like somebody still lives in their parent's basement and watches too many kung-fu movies.
Kung-fu movies are notorious for their BJJ scenes ::)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #132 on: March 13, 2019, 03:36:41 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

I'm torn. I don't necessarily think Westbrook should be punished further, there was clear goading that caused him to cross the line. Therefore a token fine makes sense.

However there should be consistency in these things. The Marcus Smart incident in college earned a much worse ban. I think the fact that Westbrook said a lot but remained standing where he was plays a bit part in this. Had he made a move towards the fan this would be a completely different outcome for him.

When evaluating this, try and put yourself in the position he was in. Doesn't matter so much if you are black or not, I'm sure each of us can imagine having bigoted language aimed at us. Think what your reaction would be, what punishment would ensue and empathise with Russ

« Reply #133 on: March 13, 2019, 06:08:44 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Or maybe a woman shouldn't be treated any differently if they make offensive statements.  Why take the misogynistic viewpoint that women are treated differently and need to be protected?  According to Russ she said the same abusive racist things, why should she be protected from her comments when a man doesn't need to be?  Seems to be an ideal from a past generation that has no place in modern society.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #134 on: March 13, 2019, 06:14:37 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Or maybe a woman shouldn't be treated any differently if they make offensive statements.  Why take the misogynistic viewpoint that women are treated differently and need to be protected?  According to Russ she said the same abusive racist things, why should she be protected from her comments when a man doesn't need to be?  Seems to be an ideal from a past generation that has no place in modern society.
TP Moranis.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA