Author Topic: NBA 2018 Playoffs Thread  (Read 280645 times)

Re: NBA 2018 Playoffs Thread
« Reply #1680 on: May 02, 2018, 03:55:00 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
After last night, does anyone think that TOR will actually win this series or are they mentally toast?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #1681 on: May 02, 2018, 03:58:06 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
After last night, does anyone think that TOR will actually win this series or are they mentally toast?

bring out the brooms

« Reply #1682 on: May 02, 2018, 04:10:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I do. I think they win it. Just think they are the much better team

« Reply #1683 on: May 02, 2018, 04:20:55 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Not going to lie, when I woke up and for much of this morning, I had the mindset that Game 2 was tonight, but it's tomorrow  :P

Oh well, but that means another day of rest for the C's and Jaylen! Also means I only need to be worried about the Bruins tonight lol.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1684 on: May 02, 2018, 04:22:48 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
Could be a Cavs/Celtic 2010 situation where the C's choked away game 1 (with copious amounts of help from David Stern) but went on to control the rest of the series and won in 6 games.

When push came to shove, the Cavs couldn't defend, and their roleplayers weren't generating consistent offense.

IMO right now it is similar in that the Raps are flat-out more talented than the Cavs and have every chance at recovering - so long as they finally get their collective heads straight.

« Reply #1685 on: May 02, 2018, 04:25:10 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

I can't pick against LeBron until I see him lose a playoff series to a team without a top tier player or group of hall of famers.  The Raptors have put together an excellent roster but Derozan and Lowry just aren't good enough.  I posted a separate thread that went through the history of the NBA Finals.  In the modern era your top scorer cannot be a significantly below average 3 point shooter.  The other night was a choke job but I think the Raptors overall failures boil down to Derozan not being good enough as a #1 scorer.  His career postseason EFG% is barely 40%.  This puts enormous pressure on the role players. 

« Reply #1686 on: May 02, 2018, 04:30:34 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
They may be, but they just don't match up well with Cleveland.  The Raptors and Cavs have now played 3 games since the trade deadline.  The Cavs have won all 3.  The Raptors just can't stop James and they have no one that can really take advantage of the Cavs main defensive weakness (which is defending against great ball handlers - like Oladipo).  I mean the Cavs won the last game coming off of short rest in a game that James was 3 of 12 in the 4th quarter/overtime and Kevin Love was 3 of 13 in the game.  Let's say it again, the Cavs won that game.  Now I know the Raptors missed like 11 straight shots and 15 of 16 down the stretch (and into overtime), but that just seems to be the normal operating procedure for the Raptors when they play the Cavs.   

The Raptors may actually show some stones and win game 2, but I just don't buy it.  The Raptors had to win game 1 and they choked the game away (I mean that last possession in regulation with 4 straight misses was stuff of infamy).  And the final possession of the game, DeRozan has the ball with a smaller man on him, gets in the lane, and rather than shoot, he passes the ball to Vanvleet.  That is the DeRozan way in the playoffs, especially against the Cavs.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1687 on: May 02, 2018, 04:32:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Could be a Cavs/Celtic 2010 situation where the C's choked away game 1 (with copious amounts of help from David Stern) but went on to control the rest of the series and won in 6 games.

When push came to shove, the Cavs couldn't defend, and their roleplayers weren't generating consistent offense.

IMO right now it is similar in that the Raps are flat-out more talented than the Cavs and have every chance at recovering - so long as they finally get their collective heads straight.
Love was terrible, but Smith, Korver, Thompson, and Green all had very good games. 

And after that 1st quarter, the Cavs actually played pretty solid defense, especially the 4th quarter.  It wasn't just about the Raptors choking, the Cavs did a pretty good job of contributing to that 4th quarter choke job.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1688 on: May 02, 2018, 04:36:16 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think they will.

Cavs defense sucked yesterday, and has sucked all season. The fact that the Raptors defended LBJ well was the one match up that I was wondering about. Given the quality of shots they got you think the win that same game if it was played again.

My feelings are similar on the C's/76ers series for similar reasons.

« Reply #1689 on: May 02, 2018, 04:37:57 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
They may be, but they just don't match up well with Cleveland.  The Raptors and Cavs have now played 3 games since the trade deadline.  The Cavs have won all 3.  The Raptors just can't stop James and they have no one that can really take advantage of the Cavs main defensive weakness (which is defending against great ball handlers - like Oladipo).  I mean the Cavs won the last game coming off of short rest in a game that James was 3 of 12 in the 4th quarter/overtime and Kevin Love was 3 of 13 in the game.  Let's say it again, the Cavs won that game.  Now I know the Raptors missed like 11 straight shots and 15 of 16 down the stretch (and into overtime), but that just seems to be the normal operating procedure for the Raptors when they play the Cavs.   

The Raptors may actually show some stones and win game 2, but I just don't buy it.  The Raptors had to win game 1 and they choked the game away (I mean that last possession in regulation with 4 straight misses was stuff of infamy).  And the final possession of the game, DeRozan has the ball with a smaller man on him, gets in the lane, and rather than shoot, he passes the ball to Vanvleet.  That is the DeRozan way in the playoffs, especially against the Cavs.

This is exactly how I feel.  It really boils down to DeRozan's lack of confidence from beyond the arc.  This is becoming a common theme with players like Wall, Westbrook, Derozan etc.  Inconsistent jump shooters cannot be relied upon to lead their team in tight playoff games.

Derozan's career 4th quarter playoff numbers are absolutely abysmal.     

« Reply #1690 on: May 02, 2018, 04:42:29 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
I think they will.

Cavs defense sucked yesterday, and has sucked all season. The fact that the Raptors defended LBJ well was the one match up that I was wondering about. Given the quality of shots they got you think the win that same game if it was played again.

My feelings are similar on the C's/76ers series for similar reasons.

LeBron's dominance is just too much for Lowry and DeRozan.  I think people forget that the Cavs took the Warriors to 6 games WITHOUT Kyrie and Kevin Love in 2015.  DeRozan has also been a terrible 4th quarter closer in the postseason.  Toronto has put together an excellent roster but they are missing the most important piece.   

« Reply #1691 on: May 02, 2018, 04:55:26 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

I said to my girlfriend last night that “if there was ever a must-win (for Toronto) game 1, watch this game.”

I stand by that. They have no answer for LeBron and they seemingly never will. He wasn’t even that good last game. I wouldn’t be shocked if they lost game 2 too or find themselves down 3-1 quaking in their boots at home while LeBron is cool as a cucumber.

I never believed in Toronto and to be honest I don’t like that team (or their fans) at all. So I’m actually rooting for Cleveland to embarrass them yet again.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #1692 on: May 02, 2018, 05:34:45 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
So if Raps can lead the entire game and still blow it.......

I guess anything is possible ,  maybe the Celtics are not quite dead afterall

That Rapotrs game vs  Cavs was one of the biggest choke jobs of all time . 
 Players and coach should all be sent to G league.

« Reply #1693 on: May 02, 2018, 05:50:15 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I've never seen a team so completely forget everything they were trying to do the way the Raps did in the fourth quarter of that game last night.

Jonas Valanciunas was the only one who didn't already look defeated before the game was even over.

I have zero faith in the Raptors after that game.  They look like they feel that they are underdogs even though they won ~60 games with a huge point differential and have home court against the weakest LeBron team since 2007.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #1694 on: May 02, 2018, 05:55:34 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

While it did seem as if he was able to exorcise at least some of his postseason demons after winning game 1 against the Wizards, and while I stopped watching, last night, but saw the "highlights", lol, I have to agree, here. He had George Hill on him with, what, 6 seconds to go on the shot clock, has the entire side cleared out for him, and instead of opting to go into his MJ/Kobe left shoulder turnaround/fadeaway jumper in the post, the guy elects to drive into traffic and pitch it out to Fred Van Fleet? :o Like, WAT?

I mean, I can understand passing in that situation if you're doubled and/or someone is, say, wide open for a layup, or something, but to not take that shot when you've seemingly got every advantage? Wow, just wow.