Author Topic: NBA 2018 Playoffs Thread  (Read 280654 times)

Re: NBA 2018 Playoffs Thread
« Reply #240 on: April 16, 2018, 04:49:56 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
I still think the Cavaliers win the series, but it will take 6 games, possibly 7.

That said, I don't think they are beating PHI in the ECF if it comes to that. I think TOR and WAS are both teams full of chokers, but if CLE plays more like they did yesterday, they (TOR/WAS) can knock them out too. They DEFINITELY are not beating GSW or HOU in the Finals (even if GSW has a less-than-perfect Curry).

It was a bad game for CLE, and I certainly think they will shoot the ball better, but unless they can find a surefire no. 3 option, it might be a growing problem. Before it was Love-Lebron-Kyrie. Now it's Love-Lebron-?

Their defense is awful, and they miss Kyrie a lot more than they realize. Hood, Clarkson and Nance are solid players but none of them are all-star caliber. And to be honest, Love has to now do MORE than usual, and his usual is pretty good as it is (20/10 big man).

On the prediction thread, I had the Cavs sweeping the Pacers, Raptors and winning in 5 games against the 76ers in the ECF before getting swept in the Finals by the Warriors.

If the Cavs lose Game 2, their season is all likelihood over.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #241 on: April 16, 2018, 05:04:16 PM »

Offline TheisTheisBaby

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
So Lebron's press conference gives us even more of a reason to hate his smug, DB self.  "I" am down 1-0 in the first round.  "I" was down 3-1 in the Finals.  I'd love for someone to ask Kyrie's opinion so he can say "Yeah, "I" remember hitting the series clinching shot....."

« Reply #242 on: April 16, 2018, 05:06:20 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I still think the Cavaliers win the series, but it will take 6 games, possibly 7.

That said, I don't think they are beating PHI in the ECF if it comes to that. I think TOR and WAS are both teams full of chokers, but if CLE plays more like they did yesterday, they (TOR/WAS) can knock them out too. They DEFINITELY are not beating GSW or HOU in the Finals (even if GSW has a less-than-perfect Curry).

It was a bad game for CLE, and I certainly think they will shoot the ball better, but unless they can find a surefire no. 3 option, it might be a growing problem. Before it was Love-Lebron-Kyrie. Now it's Love-Lebron-?

Their defense is awful, and they miss Kyrie a lot more than they realize. Hood, Clarkson and Nance are solid players but none of them are all-star caliber. And to be honest, Love has to now do MORE than usual, and his usual is pretty good as it is (20/10 big man).

On the prediction thread, I had the Cavs sweeping the Pacers, Raptors and winning in 5 games against the 76ers in the ECF before getting swept in the Finals by the Warriors.

If the Cavs lose Game 2, their season is all likelihood over.

I don't think you can count Lebron out unless he's down 3-0 (and even then...)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #243 on: April 16, 2018, 05:06:50 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Kevin O'Conner:
https://www.theringer.com/nba-playoffs/2018/4/16/17242188/10-thoughts-2018-nba-playoff-weekend

Kevin's thoughts on the playoffs but no thoughts about the Celtics except about Giannis Antetokounmpo. The Celtics won this game with talent and hard work but no mention of that.

To a national audience, the Celts are uninteresting because the injuries make them inert as far as the playoffs are concerned.  It's not the real team playing, and the only "stars" are injured (national audience doesn't regard Horford as a star).

Kevin O'Connor has gone to great lengths to present himself as unbiased when it comes to the Celtics.  Strange, because The Ringer seems to encourage their staff to wear fandom boldly and proudly (sometimes to an extent I find annoying).

The Celtics victory was the most exciting win in the post season so far. Not even mentioning them seems like an over sight no matter who's doing it. I am a big fan of Kevin O'Connor but this still seemed odd.

Go Celtics!

« Reply #244 on: April 16, 2018, 05:31:51 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Kevin O'Conner:
https://www.theringer.com/nba-playoffs/2018/4/16/17242188/10-thoughts-2018-nba-playoff-weekend

Kevin's thoughts on the playoffs but no thoughts about the Celtics except about Giannis Antetokounmpo. The Celtics won this game with talent and hard work but no mention of that.

To a national audience, the Celts are uninteresting because the injuries make them inert as far as the playoffs are concerned.  It's not the real team playing, and the only "stars" are injured (national audience doesn't regard Horford as a star).

Kevin O'Connor has gone to great lengths to present himself as unbiased when it comes to the Celtics.  Strange, because The Ringer seems to encourage their staff to wear fandom boldly and proudly (sometimes to an extent I find annoying).

The Celtics victory was the most exciting win in the post season so far. Not even mentioning them seems like an over sight no matter who's doing it. I am a big fan of Kevin O'Connor but this still seemed odd.

Go Celtics!
I really don't see the complaint about this article.  It wasn't a recap of the games.  It was 10 specific items (positive, negative and in-between) that he decided to highlight.  The Celtics victory was exciting but I don't see what specific item there was to call out about it in a list like this. 

« Reply #245 on: April 16, 2018, 07:34:17 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
I advise you guys to watch game 2 of Houston vs Minnesota. A lot of you are way off on KAT and Butler, and way too easy on Thibs. In game 1, Houston switched every single screen in the pick and roll. That essentially takes the pick and roll out of the game, but allows the offense to get whatever matchup they want. The obvious decision is to post up KAT after you run the pick and roll, when he has Harden or Paul on him. Instead, the Wolves game plan was to go after Capela and Tucker with they're ball handlers (Teague, Butler, Crawford, Wiggins) and for KAT to go outside.

So that was dumb decision by the whole Wolves team. It's on KAT to be more active and demand the ball, but it's also on the coaches and his teammates. Once it became clear this was Houston's game plan and KAT wasn't attacking, Thibs needed to tell him exactly what to do. Also it's on the ball handlers to get the ball to KAT on the block, and not attack against the big. Teague is terrible at giving entry passes.

As for the Wolves defense, they played pretty well. Harden was forced into a lot of tough shots, and he still went off. And when he is playing like that, it is almost impossible to stop him and Capela. Nobody else on Houston shot well or created well, and that's why they only scored 104 points. If the Wolves change the way they attack Houston on offense, they could have a chance in the series. If they don't, they will get swept, because the way they played on offense will never get it done against Houston.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #246 on: April 16, 2018, 07:48:34 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
It's just about Philly time, folks. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #247 on: April 16, 2018, 08:44:00 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Ilyasova and Belinelli are huge for The Sixers.

« Reply #248 on: April 16, 2018, 08:44:37 PM »

Offline straightouttabahstun

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • That's turrible
Gahhh I want Fultz to make those finishes so badly. Rooting for the guy...just not when he plays the C’s

« Reply #249 on: April 16, 2018, 08:47:42 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Yeah I knew they were good shooters, but didn't really they were this good.  Especially Bellinelli.  He looks like Ray Allen.  Lol.

Gahhh I want Fultz to make those finishes so badly. Rooting for the guy...just not when he plays the C’s

Me too.  Just generally seems like a good kid.  You can tell he's really talented too.  His passing has really stood out to me.  Small sample size, but it looks like he has good court vision, he's willing, and able to make some tough passes.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #250 on: April 16, 2018, 08:52:08 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Yeah I knew they were good shooters, but didn't really they were this good.  Especially Bellinelli.  He looks like Ray Allen.  Lol.

Me too.  Just generally seems like a good kid.  You can tell he's really talented too.  His passing has really stood out to me.  Small sample size, but it looks like he has good court vision, he's willing, and able to make some tough passes.

They both look like Ray Allen...

« Reply #251 on: April 16, 2018, 08:54:05 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Is this the game that Wade wins for the Heat?

« Reply #252 on: April 16, 2018, 08:55:38 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
Feels dirty rooting for Wade.

« Reply #253 on: April 16, 2018, 08:58:21 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Feels dirty rooting for Wade.

It really does...

« Reply #254 on: April 16, 2018, 09:01:47 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
Boy, even if he wasn't worth the 4 picks Danny offered for him, I still like Winslow. Very Smart-esque defensively.

This is the Heat team I was expecting. They're playing a slow, grind-it-out, in-your-face kind of game.