Author Topic: NBA 2018 Playoffs Thread  (Read 280623 times)

Re: NBA 2018 Playoffs Thread
« Reply #210 on: April 16, 2018, 12:54:54 AM »

Offline TheisTheisBaby

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
Celtics won, Cavs lost, the Lakers are at home wishing they were us, Miami lost (I hate Wade), and all the talking heads to wrote us off already had to eat a big meal of crow.  What a great weekend!!

« Reply #211 on: April 16, 2018, 01:04:52 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Man, does missing out on Capela tick off others as much as it does me? He was the guy I wanted instead of Young, while others wanted Harris, Hood, etc., which also would’ve been better than Young. Think how set we’d be both now and in the future with a young, athletic, and defensive-minded 5 like Capela.

Nope. He has no skill, whatsoever, imo, but he's in the NBA today because all the league wants/expects from big guys is for them to be able to move their feet, rebound, and defend ::). That's it. I would love to see him in the "Skills Challenge", however, LOL ::) ;D.

« Reply #212 on: April 16, 2018, 01:08:10 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Jimmy butler is one of the most overrated players in the league.

He cannot be the man on a contender.

He's a great #3.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #213 on: April 16, 2018, 01:21:17 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Man, does missing out on Capela tick off others as much as it does me? He was the guy I wanted instead of Young, while others wanted Harris, Hood, etc., which also would’ve been better than Young. Think how set we’d be both now and in the future with a young, athletic, and defensive-minded 5 like Capela.

Nope. He has no skill, whatsoever, imo, but he's in the NBA today because all the league wants/expects from big guys is for them to be able to move their feet, rebound, and defend ::). That's it. I would love to see him in the "Skills Challenge", however, LOL ::) ;D.
Rebounding and defence are quite obviously skills
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #214 on: April 16, 2018, 02:05:13 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Rebounding and defence are quite obviously skills

Sorry, perhaps I should have said offensive skills, haha, because seriously, Capela is a pick and roll player - that's it. He can't shoot or make free throws, has absolutely no post game of which to speak, and is by no means a passer in any sense of the word. Honestly, what's the difference between him and, say, Dewayne Dedmon (being two inches shorter, five pounds lighter, and five years younger notwithstanding, of course)? A developing outside shot for the latter?

Unrelated: can we say that Ainge failing to take Capela counts as a...Swiss Miss? ;) ::) ;D

« Reply #215 on: April 16, 2018, 02:18:03 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

He's a great #3.

I disagree. Imagine, for example, if Boston had taken him in 2011 and Khris Middleton a year later. Would a SG/SF combination of Butler and Middleton not constitute as the foundation of a contender, because I certainly believe so. Both of those guys are great defensive players, excellent passers, very intelligent, highly skilled, can play with or without the ball, and, perhaps most importantly, are clutch. Those dudes get it done in the big moments, and a PG/SG/SF combination of Rondo, Butler, and Middleton can at least cancel out Curry/Thompson/Durant, or at least would have the best chance at doing so, would they not, or am I completely off base, here? Yeah, I'm probably wrong, lol. It would have made for a great matchup, though. Sigh.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 10:49:09 PM by Beat LA »

« Reply #216 on: April 16, 2018, 02:51:10 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999

He's a great #3.

I disagree. Imagine, for example, if Boston had taken him in 2011 and Khris Middleton a year later. Would a SG/SF combination of Butler and Middleton not constitute as the foundation of a contender, because I certainly believe so. Both of those guys are great defensive players, excellent passers, very intelligent, highly skilled, can play with or without the ball, and, perhaps most importantly, are clutch. Those dudes get it done in the big moments, and a PG/SG/SF combination of Rondo, Butler, and Middleton can at least cancel out Curry/Thompson/Durant, pr at least would have the best chance at doing so, would they not, or am I completely off base, here? Yeah, I'm probably wrong, lol. It would have made for a great matchup, though. Sigh.

Butler and Middleton would be like another Lowry/Derozan duo. They just need a superstar that'll take it to the next level.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #217 on: April 16, 2018, 03:00:57 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Does anyone think Indy can pull off the upset? Prior to Game 1 I was very dubious, but after that grim performance they might actually have a shot

« Reply #218 on: April 16, 2018, 03:23:07 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

He's a great #3.
Lol
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #219 on: April 16, 2018, 04:12:12 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

He's a great #3.

I disagree. Imagine, for example, if Boston had taken him in 2011 and Khris Middleton a year later. Would a SG/SF combination of Butler and Middleton not constitute as the foundation of a contender, because I certainly believe so. Both of those guys are great defensive players, excellent passers, very intelligent, highly skilled, can play with or without the ball, and, perhaps most importantly, are clutch. Those dudes get it done in the big moments, and a PG/SG/SF combination of Rondo, Butler, and Middleton can at least cancel out Curry/Thompson/Durant, pr at least would have the best chance at doing so, would they not, or am I completely off base, here? Yeah, I'm probably wrong, lol. It would have made for a great matchup, though. Sigh.

Butler and Middleton would be like another Lowry/Derozan duo. They just need a superstar that'll take it to the next level.

Wait, what? Butler and Middleton don't crap the bed come playoff time, lol.

« Reply #220 on: April 16, 2018, 04:21:21 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Does anyone think Indy can pull off the upset? Prior to Game 1 I was very dubious, but after that grim performance they might actually have a shot
NBA/Refs won’t let that happen
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #221 on: April 16, 2018, 04:38:37 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

He's a great #3.

Wait, what? Butler and Middleton don't crap the bed come playoff time, lol.
Butler has definitely proven himself in his last two playoff series, but how can you say that about Middleton? He's played 12 total playoff games and averages 15/4/4/2 in playoffs - which is good, don't get me wrong, but it's easily worse than both Lowry (at Toronto) and DeRozan.

« Reply #222 on: April 16, 2018, 05:52:26 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If we could have gotten Butler for say Brown, Rozier and parts plus a pick, before the season and had

Kyrie/Larkin
Butler/Smart/Nader
Hayward/Tatum/Ojeleye
Horford/Morris
Baynes/Theis

And that group stayed healthy, I think thst group wins a title. Kyrie as your#1...perfect. Butler as your #2...perfect. Hayward #3...perfect. Horford as the quiet glue guy #4....awesome. Tatum, Smart, Morris, Theis finishes out your playoff rotation...love it.

That said. Run it back and give me Doncic, Ayton or Bagley when the LA pick becomes at pick #2....and you can just give us 3-5 titles over the next 7-10 years.

« Reply #223 on: April 16, 2018, 07:46:03 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

Maybe.  but Bron usually takes an butt kicking personal and goes crazy next game .  He'll showcase himself for new teams and score 50 points next game.  If per chance he doesn't , then Cavs maybe sunk for the series down two , as well as say goodbye to LeDiva.

« Reply #224 on: April 16, 2018, 07:46:53 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406

Yeah, definitely. East is wide open. No high quality teams. All at a similar level.