Author Topic: The Offense (And The Team) Will Be Fine  (Read 2399 times)

The Offense (And The Team) Will Be Fine
« on: October 23, 2018, 09:51:27 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Last season, the Celtics top four offensive options (Kyrie, Tatum, Horford, Brown) had eFG%'s of .568, .538, .553, and .540. Through four games this season, that quartet is shooting .420, .475, .513, and .402.

Al Horford is the only one even in the neighborhood of where he shot last year and he's taking the fewest shot in the starting lineup.

Gordon Hayward has an adequate .500 eFG% but he's also taken 3 free throws in 3 games, a big indicator he's not back yet. Horford and Hayward's eFG% marks are still below the worst of the top four last season.

These giant dips in shooting percentages, coupled with the number of open everyone's missing right now, makes me think they'll be fine. They have chemistry issues to balance but sometimes it really is just about putting the ball in the basket. I believe that will start happening again soon.

It just sucks when that cold streak hits in the beginning of the year.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: The Offense (And The Team) Will Be Fine
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 09:58:47 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Yeah, shooting percentages will regress to the mean, especially when our execution gets crisper. Last night was actually a step up in terms of attempted ball movement, but the passes and catches were very sloppy and even when we got the open shot it didn't fall. Especially from 3:

25 open misses! 

Part of the bigger issue is that Kyrie and Hayward both look tentative/rusty and that seems to have affected other players. The numbers will catch up but it shows we have a long ways to go as a team.

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 10:00:31 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Last season, the Celtics top four offensive options (Kyrie, Tatum, Horford, Brown) had eFG%'s of .568, .538, .553, and .540. Through four games this season, that quartet is shooting .420, .475, .513, and .402.

Al Horford is the only one even in the neighborhood of where he shot last year and he's taking the fewest shot in the starting lineup.

Gordon Hayward has an adequate .500 eFG% but he's also taken 3 free throws in 3 games, a big indicator he's not back yet. Horford and Hayward's eFG% marks are still below the worst of the top four last season.

These giant dips in shooting percentages, coupled with the number of open everyone's missing right now, makes me think they'll be fine. They have chemistry issues to balance but sometimes it really is just about putting the ball in the basket. I believe that will start happening again soon.

It just sucks when that cold streak hits in the beginning of the year.

There's no doubt that we'll be fine offensively. A whole team doesn't just forget how to shoot the ball.

If you look at it this would be the final game of the preseason in past years so some of our guys are still warming up and finding chemistry. We have Hayward and Kyrie coming back off of season ending injuries and they are just starting to come back to life. We'll be killing it but it may take a few more games to get all cylinders firing.

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 10:11:22 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
They be fine..its October!! Now if its January i be worried..but this team got to get to know one another..remember Hayward is really "new" to this team..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 10:17:37 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Why do we need to wait for them to figure it out?
Raptors in slimier situation, 2 new guys in the starting five, one who hasn't played last year and they look great.

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 10:33:28 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’m curious about this. Logic and hope tell me we’ll still win 55 - 60 games.

But, there’s at least some precedent for teams struggling across an entire season when integrating new players. Lebron’s first year with the Heat is the best example, but there’s also the Lakers with Malone, the Lakers with D12, etc.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 10:43:14 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

But, there’s at least some precedent for teams struggling across an entire season when integrating new players. Lebron’s first year with the Heat is the best example, but there’s also the Lakers with Malone, the Lakers with D12, etc.

My point was that whatever chemistry issues there are, the real problem has been that the team is just missing an egregious number of open shots or shots they've made in the past and that's something that is unlikely to continue to this degree.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 10:51:00 AM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
Well, it is still early in the season, the team is still adapting to each other with shortened preparation period… However, it is going to take some more time and more time together. It's going to be tough because there is no more time for workouts, so I expect more of these NY, Orl type of games. The main thing that bothers me is this 5:0 zone offense that we play, when all players stand on the three point line and look at each other and wait for someone else to make something. The ball is moving, but you can't make quality plays without players working without the ball. No inside presence, no aggression towards the rim, and what you get? Almost two L’s and approx. 20 free throws in two games… Hope they get themselves together and play some real Celtics game. Let go Celtics!

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 10:54:18 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
i agree with many of the positive points above. this team's defense is fine so far, and the offense will come around.

My takes from last night's game - Horford almost never takes rushed or bad threes. He takes them as part of the team's rhythm. Yet, he went 1-7 from 3 point land.

Tatum was 0-5 from 3 and at least two of those were back-to-back wide open looks in the same possession.

On another note, Kyrie attacked the rim more frequently in the second half but still had 0 FTA, despite being knocked down a number of times.

The Celtics were doing the right things, which is why CBS praised the ball movement last night - the results will come.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 11:09:37 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

My point was that whatever chemistry issues there are, the real problem has been that the team is just missing an egregious number of open shots or shots they've made in the past and that's something that is unlikely to continue to this degree.

I think it’s more than “the shots aren’t falling”. Guys look lost and tentative.  I expect that to eventually get worked out.  But, sometimes those transitions take longer than expected.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 11:58:10 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Raptors in slimier situation, 2 new guys in the starting five, one who hasn't played last year and they look great.

The Raptors add the best or second best two way player in the league to a team that won the east last year.

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 12:55:37 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

That first year for the Heat, they still won 58 games and made it to the Finals. The Lakers had all sorts of locker room problems and Steve Nash was a formality from retirement. If this team is healthy, I think they get it together sooner than later.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2018, 01:00:17 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Nope, I'm pretty sure that the first four games are representative of what we will see throughout the year.

Probably best to start the rebuild now. Trade Kyrie, Tatum, Hayward and Brown for whatever draft picks we can get for them now. Maybe pick up a few good young players and some great draft picks. Tank the season and we could end up with the #1 AND the #2 pick.

Mike

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2018, 01:00:25 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

I addressed this in an earlier post.  Toronto has very easily defined roles.  Kawhi and Lowry are the clear high usage players.  They are expected to be assertive in everything they do on the offensive end.  Green is a spot up 3 point shooter.  Ibaka pops out to the 3 point line on screens and hits mid-range jumpers.  Valanciunas takes advantage of mistmatches/switches in the post and tries to eat up offensive rebounds.

It's fair to say that none the Raptors starters need to adjust their style of play.  The limitations of Ibaka and Green prevent them from feeling like they need to do more on the offensive end of the floor.  It's no surprise that they are more comfortable and confident than the Celtics. 

The Celtics are in a completely different position.  Kyrie and Hayward have both been accustomed to lots of P&R usage throughout their career.  Through 4 games Kyrie is at the lowest usage rate of his career and Gordon is at the lowest since his 2nd season.  Let's also not forget that both are working back from injury.

As for Jaylen, he easily looks the most hesitant in terms of decision making.

Tatum is the one exception among the starting 5.  For the most part he's maintained aggressiveness throughout the game. 

Eventually the Celtics will find their groove and this will sort itself out.     

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2018, 01:08:39 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
For the record the 2010/2011 Lebron-Wade-Bosh Miami Heat team started the season 10-8. They also had a 5 game losing streak somewhere in the season (I don't know the circumstances of it) and they finished with 58 wins.

Anyway it's just human nature to overreact to things like this. Look at the Pats, every time they start a season 2-2 people are screaming that Brady doesn't have it any more, the dynasty is over etc. etc. etc. Of course that is always completely forgotten when they win the next 6 games.