Author Topic: With Identical Records, Who Gets Home-court : C's or Lakers?  (Read 10859 times)

With Identical Records, Who Gets Home-court : C's or Lakers?
« on: April 06, 2011, 01:16:10 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
This is a possibility. In the regular season they split their games. Who would get home court, and why? Anyone know if there has ever been an NBA finals where teams finished with identical regular season records?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 07:21:53 PM by Redz »

Re: With indentical records, who gets home-court : C's or Lakers?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 01:17:57 PM »

Offline Rondo9dunx

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 4
hah, I almost started this thread last night, curious to know the answer myself...
Andy Bernard doesnt lose constests. He wins them, or he quits them because they're unfair.

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 01:18:03 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Lakers.  Apparently home court for the Finals is determined by the teams' records against the opposing conference (us against the West, them against the East).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 01:18:26 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
This is a possibility. In the regular season they split their games. Who would get home court, and why? Anyone know if there has ever been an NBA finals where teams finished with identical regular season records?

There's some controversy over this - check the Homecourt Thread for more details.  Basically every record of the rules I can find says its record against your own conference, but there are several articles indicating that for teams in different conferences it's record against OTHER conference (Lakers have clinched that one).

The last Finals with identical records was Philly + the Lakers in 01, when each team was 56-26. 

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 01:19:14 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
C's.  If they are tied, the tie-breaker will be conference records, and the C's already have a 1 game lead on the Lakers in that area, and since both teams only have in-conference games left, the C's will win that tie-breaker if they can end the season tied with the Lakers.

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 01:19:28 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
The Lakers.  Apparently home court for the Finals is determined by the teams' records against the opposing conference (us against the West, them against the East).

Wow. That stinks. I was hoping it would be decided some other way. But I guess rules are rules.

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 01:21:03 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Do you have a link for this?  NBA.com doesn't specify that on their playoff page.

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 01:27:16 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

This one says own conference:

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/art_garcia/04/03/tiebreakers/

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 01:30:05 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Lakers.  Apparently home court for the Finals is determined by the teams' records against the opposing conference (us against the West, them against the East).

Do you have a link for this?  NBA.com doesn't specify that on their playoff page.

Here's a link.

http://lakers.ocregister.com/2011/03/23/lakers-own-tiebreaker-vs-celtics-likely-not-bulls/51343/

Also, for historical evidence, back in the 2001 Finals, when the teams had identical records, LA got home court because their winning percentage against the East (.733) was better than Philly's against the West (.571).  If it had gone by each team's record against their own conference, Philly would have gotten home court (.741 vs. .653).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 01:36:03 PM »

Offline Green Hell

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 58
That's one controversy I really don't want to have to be put through on our way to 18. I can already here Lakers fans and the media now if that is what it came to and things broke our way. If things broke their way, imagine how we'd feel!

I hope we can just beat them outright and secure HCA over them with a better record outright. It might realistically come down to the last game of the season at this point. If the Lakers start to slide even a little bit and our guys can get their butts in gear... Wow
Never stop believing baby~

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 02:15:03 PM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
(3) Better winning percentage against teams in own conference.

Celtics .745
Lakers  .723

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 02:26:36 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
(3) Better winning percentage against teams in own conference.

Celtics .745
Lakers  .723

Sweet.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 02:48:04 PM »

Offline Green Hell

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 58
But precedent suggests its "better record against opposing conference" in which case the Lakers have that clinched. The league has never given the Celtics a break before, do you actually think $tern would side with us over the Lakers?
Never stop believing baby~

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 02:49:08 PM »

Offline Yvette

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 115
If I were the NBA, I would use the quotient system on both teams' series this season...

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 02:53:55 PM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
But precedent suggests its "better record against opposing conference" in which case the Lakers have that clinched. The league has never given the Celtics a break before, do you actually think $tern would side with us over the Lakers?

Did this rule change I wonder since 2001?  I agree that precedent shows this to be the way but EVERYWHERE I've read (including the NBA's website) says it would be the team with the better record against their own conference opponents.