Author Topic: Report: Gallinari signing with Celtics upon clearing waivers  (Read 17810 times)

Re: Rumor: Gallo choosing between Celts and Bulls
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2022, 10:12:26 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm not sure what folks are expecting around here but i'd love to know a better options at 6.5 mill over Gallo? Have people seen the contracts average players are getting this offseason?

I just want someone that plays a different position than Grant Williams.

I think they could play next to each other.  And, at this stage, Grant is a better defender, but Gallo is a better scorer, passer, penetrator, ball-handler and rebounder.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2022, 10:34:24 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I'm not sure what folks are expecting around here but i'd love to know a better options at 6.5 mill over Gallo? Have people seen the contracts average players are getting this offseason?

I’m okay with Gallo if we use a TPE to get someone who can credibly play the wing next to a J while the other rests.  That is our biggest need, as they were spent by the time the finals came.  Gallo isn’t that guy.  Healthy TJ Warren would be, so he’s my top choice for the MLE.  Healthy Donte DiVincenzo is closer to that guy than Gallo is, so he’s my second choice.

But if we can get such a player with the TPE, then yeah, Gallo would be okay with the MLE as someone who can get you buckets despite his significant shortcomings on defense.

« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2022, 10:40:41 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I’m okay with Gallo if we use a TPE to get someone who can credibly play the wing next to a J while the other rests.  That is our biggest need, as they were spent by the time the finals came.  Gallo isn’t that guy.  Healthy TJ Warren would be, so he’s my top choice for the MLE.  Healthy Donte DiVincenzo is closer to that guy than Gallo is, so he’s my second choice.

But if we can get such a player with the TPE, then yeah, Gallo would be okay with the MLE as someone who can get you buckets despite his significant shortcomings on defense.

Donte DiVincenzo doesn't do it for me.  More interestingly, the Bucks decided to pursue Joe Ingles rather than try to reunite with DDV.  I wonder what that says.

Bruce Brown is the guy that was a bit more on my wishlist.  He's not the volume shooter we need, but he's a bit of a jack of all trades guy who has more room to develop.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2022, 10:41:07 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

I agree. this is the only issue I care about. A playoff capable rotation wing who can defend and play without fear on offense. Don't care much about who is the 11th or 12th guy.

A guy who was able to get it done against us in the playoffs just signed with Denver, Bruce Brown. He defends multiple positions, and when we cheated off him in the playoffs, he was able to find ways to score.

It seems like Stevens is waiting for something else here, because he isn't taking a shot at what is available right now. But the whole offseason is really about getting one more reliable player, most likely a wing.

« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2022, 10:43:47 AM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I'd be happier with a sight over pay to get Cody Martin but I've resigned myself that Gallo would be a good get all things considered.

We're in a great position that we already have the parts to win a championship in the roster. Gallo could be useful fine tuning

« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2022, 10:46:02 AM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Looks like he chose Boston.

« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2022, 10:50:14 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2022, 10:53:18 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Link?
not seeing anything that this has occurred

« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2022, 10:58:12 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2022, 10:58:29 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Link?

There's a tweet floating around the he's committed to Boston, but the account is questionable and no one else is picking it up.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2022, 11:01:27 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Is Gallinari  any better than TJ Warren at this stage in their careers? Galinari is 33 years old and showing signs of slowing down. TJ Warren is younger and in my opinion a better scorer overall, similar size to Gallinari. Why all the fuss on Gallinari and not many reports on Warren?

Warren might be looking for more than the Taxpayer MLE.  He's definitely got more upside than Gallinari, but he's probably got more downside, too.

Keep in mind, all we have to offer is the Taxpayer MLE, the same money that the injured, significantly less productive, soon-to-be 35 year old Joe Ingles got.

Hollinger is reporting that the Drummond signing had to use part of their MLE, because they used their biannual on Thompson last year. That really means the Gallo offer is not more money than what the Cs are offering.

Gallo gives us a legit 6'10 floor spacer with career 38% 3pt shooting.  And if we're keeping Horford, we can just swap him in for Gallo when we need more defensive presence.  This move makes sense for the Celtics especially just for our MLE.  I mean who else out there today would be a better use of the MLE?

Jalen Smith?

We don't know yet if Jalen Smith is an NBA player, much less a guy that contribute to a contending rotation.
His most recent showing was promising in Indiana, but he's still incredibly young. Would rather we look to veteran help

Don't get me wrong, Gallinari on the MLE ($6.4M) is good value at a position of need (PF).  He is a fringe starter at this point at best (only started 22 games in 2 seasons for ATL).  And his ceiling is several years in the past.

The question though was if not him, then who?  I think Jalen Smith is an interesting option.  Smith's basic numbers (9 pts / 6 rebs) are already not that far behind Gallinari (12 pts / 5 rebs), and in a lot less minutes (18 min vs. 25 min).  Even 3p%, Smith was 37% for 22 games in Indy (Gallinari 38% for last season). 

There is more risk with Jalen Smith or perhaps a better way to say it is less certainly.  I suspect that the Celtics (and most fans) will prefer Gallinari and I understand why.  He is what he is, pretty low risk or low uncertainty player.  We need to take a chance on a young big also though.  Smith could be the next Christian Wood.  I think he is a player to watch.

« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2022, 11:04:23 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Is Gallinari  any better than TJ Warren at this stage in their careers? Galinari is 33 years old and showing signs of slowing down. TJ Warren is younger and in my opinion a better scorer overall, similar size to Gallinari. Why all the fuss on Gallinari and not many reports on Warren?

Warren might be looking for more than the Taxpayer MLE.  He's definitely got more upside than Gallinari, but he's probably got more downside, too.

Keep in mind, all we have to offer is the Taxpayer MLE, the same money that the injured, significantly less productive, soon-to-be 35 year old Joe Ingles got.

Hollinger is reporting that the Drummond signing had to use part of their MLE, because they used their biannual on Thompson last year. That really means the Gallo offer is not more money than what the Cs are offering.

Gallo gives us a legit 6'10 floor spacer with career 38% 3pt shooting.  And if we're keeping Horford, we can just swap him in for Gallo when we need more defensive presence.  This move makes sense for the Celtics especially just for our MLE.  I mean who else out there today would be a better use of the MLE?

Jalen Smith?

We don't know yet if Jalen Smith is an NBA player, much less a guy that contribute to a contending rotation.
His most recent showing was promising in Indiana, but he's still incredibly young. Would rather we look to veteran help

Don't get me wrong, Gallinari on the MLE ($6.4M) is good value at a position of need (PF).  He is a fringe starter at this point at best (only started 22 games in 2 seasons for ATL).  And his ceiling is several years in the past.

The question though was if not him, then who?  I think Jalen Smith is an interesting option.  Smith's basic numbers (9 pts / 6 rebs) are already not that far behind Gallinari (12 pts / 5 rebs), and in a lot less minutes (18 min vs. 25 min).  Even 3p%, Smith was 37% for 22 games in Indy (Gallinari 38% for last season). 

There is more risk with Jalen Smith or perhaps a better way to say it is less certainly.  I suspect that the Celtics (and most fans) will prefer Gallinari and I understand why.  He is what he is, pretty low risk or low uncertainty player.  We need to take a chance on a young big also though.  Smith could be the next Christian Wood.  I think he is a player to watch.

And this is why we likely won't sign him. He's a developing player that can't be counted on from game to game. We need someone we can go to who we know can produce, the finals proved that. We need a veteran.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2022, 11:07:41 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Jalen Smith?

And this is why we likely won't sign him. He's a developing player that can't be counted on from game to game. We need someone we can go to who we know can produce, the finals proved that. We need a veteran.

Is Gallinari really a guy we can count on to produce?

He was all over the place last year and looked like falling out of the rotation at times. He was a no-show in the playoffs. He is 34yo and declining.

Are we sure this is a guy we can count on to produce?

Feels like a high risk of an over-the-hill veteran who bitterly disappoints to me.

« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2022, 11:14:23 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Jalen Smith?

Is Gallinari really a guy we can count on to produce?

He was all over the place last year and looked like falling out of the rotation at times. He was a no-show in the playoffs. He is 34yo and declining.

Are we sure this is a guy we can count on to produce?

Feels like a high risk of an over-the-hill veteran who bitterly disappoints to me.

Year before including playoffs he was quite decent. May be our best/only option. Doubt that Warren comes here.

« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2022, 11:18:45 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
There was a post somewhere yesterday but I can't find it today to quote it here. I think it was DefenseWinsChampionships talking about Gallo and Trae Young. It was a good post and something that does give me some positive questions / optimism about Gallo.

Essentially that it is difficult playing off the ball in a heliocentric offense, being less involved in the offense, getting more spot up opportunities but less touches and shots overall. That Gallo could improve outside of that heliocentric offense. That his numbers could go up outside of ATL. That may get to the FT line more, to the basket more, more playmaking. Less static offense that we saw from Gallo in ATL.

Maybe ...

And if so, great.

But if not, I'm not wild about what Gallo brings to the table. He was really disappointing in ATL.