Author Topic: Are there any Derrick White fans left?  (Read 5571 times)

Re: Are there any Derrick White fans left?
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2022, 06:20:52 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I like him but I also think CBS needs to see if he can upgrade him and Theis in the offseason.

Regardless what happens with Horford this offseason, Brad HAS to prioritize finding a 3rd/depth big. Because Theis is not it, but also there's no way this team can just go into a season and rely on Timelord to stay healthy. I know it's not all his fault, some flukey injuries and obviously his knee condition, but that's just the reality of it. We're already facing it in this series and potentially even the Finals IF the C's make it there with Timelord and his knee soreness

Going to be hard to pay for an upgrade over Theis after paying Grant Williams on top of Horford and Rob Williams.

Theis is a good backup big man. Hard to do better than him especially without much financial flexibility.

I really think Theis gets a bad rap here.  I'm seeing him as a valuable back-up who can make a positive impact.  Will he get eaten up by good centers? Of course, that's why he's where he is on the depth chart.  I think it's nice having a guy like Theis at that place on the depth chart.

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2022, 06:24:42 PM »

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
If so, what do you see in this kid?

If you need rebounds defense out of your backup PG, I guess he’s okay. Otherwise, he’s got to be one of the worst rotation players in the NBA.

I think he is solid not great. Makes the right plays, doesn't turn the ball over, good defender. If he was a better shooter than yes he would be a hell of a player off the bench. Overall yo could do worse than White.

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2022, 06:36:51 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Unleashing your superpowers I see. Fair play Roy
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2022, 06:56:36 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59

I don't really understand the subtle inside joke. DWhite had 8 rebounds last night, but Roy crossed rebounds out. Can someone explain this to me? Is 8 a small number of rebounds for a guard?

His shooting has not been good. Other than that, I must be missing something. He looks pretty good to me out there, and I imagine he will improve with more reps.

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2022, 07:34:48 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I like him but I also think CBS needs to see if he can upgrade him and Theis in the offseason.

Regardless what happens with Horford this offseason, Brad HAS to prioritize finding a 3rd/depth big. Because Theis is not it, but also there's no way this team can just go into a season and rely on Timelord to stay healthy. I know it's not all his fault, some flukey injuries and obviously his knee condition, but that's just the reality of it. We're already facing it in this series and potentially even the Finals IF the C's make it there with Timelord and his knee soreness

Going to be hard to pay for an upgrade over Theis after paying Grant Williams on top of Horford and Rob Williams.

Theis is a good backup big man. Hard to do better than him especially without much financial flexibility.

Horford’s contract ends when Grant’s extension (presumably) begins, so there should be no crossover there. I am also totally fine with Theis and think he provides quality-ish minutes as a versatile big on both ends - especially in the regular season.

But I wouldn’t cry myself to sleep at night if we made a White-Collins swap with Atlanta. They have been interested in both Smart and White in the past, which makes sense given Trae’s limitations on D.

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2022, 07:37:49 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I don't really understand the subtle inside joke. DWhite had 8 rebounds last night, but Roy crossed rebounds out. Can someone explain this to me? Is 8 a small number of rebounds for a guard?

His shooting has not been good. Other than that, I must be missing something. He looks pretty good to me out there, and I imagine he will improve with more reps.
It's a reference to this thread he started: https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=94455.msg2419788

Upon posting it, Terry Rozier turned from a woeful 12th man into a genuine starter very quickly.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2022, 08:01:35 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
He's had a crap series save Game 4 by what I've seen of it, but he's significantly upgrade from someone like Rozier or Richardson in terms of net play on the floor for the team. It's similar to preferring Shane Battier over Antawn Jamison, if you like.

What's concerning to me (and everyone else) is that his shooting percentages have dipped to 30% on threes since being traded after averaging 34.6% in his last full year with San Antonio. And (as we've all seen) the playoff numbers are even worse. If he can get close to the league average from deep again, there's no complaints from me.

Nice. I'm ok with the trade and pretty excited about Derrick White (next year especially, when he's fully integrated).

But I love all the various ways we try to describe the guy's impact or whatever, lol.

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2022, 08:08:21 PM »

Kiorrik

If Mr White regresses to the mean on his 3pt shooting next year, he'll be great for us.

If he goes a lil bit further, and goes above that, he'll be insane and we'll be singing his praise.

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2022, 04:50:28 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Derrick White remains one of my favorite players on the team. He had a rough game 3 (probably his worst as a Celtic) but I loved his agression to start game 4. And generally speaking he still provides great defense, makes the ball move on offense and find teammates for easy shots.

I would sure love for him to shoot the ball with more confidence and knock down threes but I still feel very comfortable when he is on the floor.

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2022, 05:08:27 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I like him..he does thing that doesn’t show up in box scores..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2022, 07:03:47 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I understand this frustration.

But have there been any losses where he's taken a high volume of shots on low FG%?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2022, 11:04:58 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Well, I’ve never been a bigger fan of D White than after tonight  :P He was huge the entire game but his energy and defense shifted the game in our favor in the third.

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2022, 11:07:23 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
White did a great "good Marcus Smart" impession

Even airballed a 3 to seal it

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2022, 11:10:56 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
So far so good, this thread is doing wonders!  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2022, 11:12:53 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
best game in the playoffs to date.