Author Topic: Are there any Derrick White fans left?  (Read 5646 times)

Re: Are there any Derrick White fans left?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2022, 10:49:01 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Weird thread to start after his game last night.  Besides missing open 3s (most of our team was pretty bad last night from 3), he filled the box score and played stellar ball.  Was instrumental getting team off to its dominant first quarter.

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=94455

Just trying to break the man out of his shooting slump.

LOL flew over my head, TP.

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2022, 10:53:01 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
The way Derrick White took over the game in the first 6 minutes last night completely set the tone.  That game could have gone a lot differently had White not taken the Heat out of the contest so quickly.

So yeah, still a fan.  Can’t wait for his shot to return to his season averages.

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2022, 11:11:09 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Weird thread to start after his game last night.  Besides missing open 3s (most of our team was pretty bad last night from 3), he filled the box score and played stellar ball.  Was instrumental getting team off to its dominant first quarter.

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=94455

Just trying to break the man out of his shooting slump.

Now I get it.  Appreciate your effort.  This might be just what the Doctor ordered for White (TP).

These are big moments for these players.  I know the Celtics have been in the ECF before but this time feels different.  In the past (the recent past) they were just a feel good kind of Cinderella team with not much expectation.  Or it was the bubble season.  This time it is for real.  With a legit chance to win a title.  That is a lot on these players and it is showing.

Pretty much everyone was "tight" last night, White has been that way since he got here.  You can see it in his release.  It is forced on most shots, not natural.  Yet in spite of his really bad shooting, he just finds a way to contribute.

This is go out and just play time for everyone, especially White.  Don't worry about the series, your stats, your legacy, don't worry about anything, just play the game you love and the game you have played your whole life.  I thought Tatum did this last game.  He was more focused, more inward, no poses or waving kisses to the crowd.  Not that White does that kind of thing but White just needs to find his own place, his own comfort zone, and then go there and just play.  Don't worry about the last game or even the last possession.  The next shot or rebound or steal could be the one that wins a game or starts a run.

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2022, 11:30:03 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
If Derrick White plays another game like that AND hits his open 3s, we will be UNBEATABLE.

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2022, 11:38:38 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Here.

I am.

But I'm a fan of every player on this squad. Generally, this is the most likeable group of players this team has had in a while. I don't think any of them are unlikeable.

Derrick is going to be Derrick this year for this team. I think we see a guy that's going to feel better about his place on this team and shoot much better next season. I think next year will be quite different.

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2022, 12:51:22 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
I like Derrick White, just wish he could play like he did for the Spurs. He’s been really disappointing thus far.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2022, 01:00:04 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I like him but I also think CBS needs to see if he can upgrade him and Theis in the offseason. 
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2022, 01:56:13 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!
I like him but I also think CBS needs to see if he can upgrade him and Theis in the offseason.

Regardless what happens with Horford this offseason, Brad HAS to prioritize finding a 3rd/depth big. Because Theis is not it, but also there's no way this team can just go into a season and rely on Timelord to stay healthy. I know it's not all his fault, some flukey injuries and obviously his knee condition, but that's just the reality of it. We're already facing it in this series and potentially even the Finals IF the C's make it there with Timelord and his knee soreness
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 02:04:18 PM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2022, 02:09:14 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
I don’t remember being less confident when a player shoots then with him…yet yes I still somehow I like him.

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2022, 03:18:51 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
lol

Love it.

I was hoping he'd just let it fly during garbage time last night to try to get into some kind of rhythm. It might not happen for him this year, unfortunately. But if he's going to fill in for the DPOY with comparable defense, I'm not going to complain too hard.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2022, 03:21:41 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119

Regardless what happens with Horford this offseason, Brad HAS to prioritize finding a 3rd/depth big. Because Theis is not it, but also there's no way this team can just go into a season and rely on Timelord to stay healthy. I know it's not all his fault, some flukey injuries and obviously his knee condition, but that's just the reality of it. We're already facing it in this series and potentially even the Finals IF the C's make it there with Timelord and his knee soreness

An insurance big would be nice — or a true small-ball 4 like Kyle Anderson. But Theis is fine for your 3rd center. Miami poses a uniquely tough assignment for him. Other matchups are not as unfavorable.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2022, 06:02:30 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Strange timing.

I liked the trade a lot and still do. White's average offense, defense, and total Estimated +/- ("EPM") percentile rankings for 2019-22 compared to Richardson are below. EPM is supposedly the latest and greatest adjusted +/- stat.

White
O - 77
D - 84
T - 86

Richardson
O - 63
D - 75
T - 68

That's a 21% improvement on Offense. White's a much better distributor than Richardson, who is a bit of a black hole.

That's a 12% improvement on Defense. White also tends to guard much better offensive players, according to Basketball Index.

That's a 27% improvement overall. Better still, White has had total EPM percentile rankings of 91 and 92 percent over the last two seasons.

I had no problem giving up the 25th pick, with the best 25th pick historically being Mark Price, according to a couple of articles I found.  The swap's a very long shot with SAS in full rebuild mode and the Cs ascending, and the salary is acceptable for a starting quality PG who is under contract for three more years.

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2022, 06:08:58 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51

I don't think I agree - the Theis upgrade is just going to be Horford playing more of the backup 5 minutes as Grant starts playing more and more with the starters. Theis is overqualified as a third-string center, and as a regular-season minutes-eater who's there to make sure Rob and Horford get plenty of scheduled rest he's fine.

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2022, 06:10:48 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
Nicely done Roy!    To take it literally, yes, still a fan like many others.   If DW just stopped shooting the open 3's he's given there'd be little not to like about him.   It's not a great trait to be a terrible 3-pt shooter as a guard, but you got to know who you are.  Hope he can improve his long range shooting in the off-season.

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2022, 06:11:50 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2403

Going to be hard to pay for an upgrade over Theis after paying Grant Williams on top of Horford and Rob Williams.

Theis is a good backup big man. Hard to do better than him especially without much financial flexibility.