Author Topic: Hayward Out 4 Weeks (Per Shams)  (Read 53734 times)

Re: Hayward Out 4 Weeks (Per Shams)
« Reply #390 on: September 20, 2020, 03:11:24 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
https://twitter.com/marcjspears/status/1307542036715798529?s=21

It was foolish for people to say Cs didn’t miss Stash Gordon. He had a big impact tonight for the Cs.
TP for Stash Gordon, that’s great
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #391 on: September 20, 2020, 03:21:17 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Gordon played great tonight, stats-aside.

That said, when you realize that he makes more than Brown, Smart and Tatum’s combined this year, and makes about the same as Brown+Smart next year (after Brown’s new contract kicks in), part of you can’t help but wonder if that should be an expectation rather than a surprise.

- LilRip

« Reply #392 on: September 20, 2020, 04:21:51 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Gordon played great tonight, stats-aside.

That said, when you realize that he makes more than Brown, Smart and Tatum’s combined this year, and makes about the same as Brown+Smart next year (after Brown’s new contract kicks in), part of you can’t help but wonder if that should be an expectation rather than a surprise.

I think it's only a surprise because he's been out for 5 weeks due to injury. Otherwise we would expect more than this, because he's delivered more than this in the past. But at this point we'll take what he can give, because it's a net gain for our team regardless and we need anything that separates us from the Heat. We'll definitely be expecting more from him going forward.

I'm sure his teammates appreciate his ability to make everyone he plays with better:

https://twitter.com/celtics/status/1307526735311900672

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #393 on: September 20, 2020, 09:27:11 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
his scoring will come. he was rusty last night to be expected. I expect more from him on Wednesday. But its his passing, defense, rebounds, steals and getting them into good plays that just make this team much more versatile. He knows how to attack the zone.

If the zone defense doesnt stop the celtics they are winning this series IMO.

« Reply #394 on: September 20, 2020, 09:40:03 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Weird thing is if we eliminate the heat after being down 2:0 and the only incremental change is the presence of Hayward ... he has a solid argument for another max contract regardless of his averages in this series.

« Reply #395 on: September 20, 2020, 09:40:51 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
https://youtu.be/BN1sAvzKvnA?t=174

The outlet pass at 2:55 was Wes Unseld-like
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #396 on: September 20, 2020, 11:05:45 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm actually wondering though. I'm not a medical doctor, but I thought Grade 3 ankle sprains were a full tear and usually keeps people out for several months. Yet De'Aron Fox suffered a Grade 3 sprain and only missed like 4-5 weeks. Same with Hayward, who returned in about 5 weeks. So did they actually suffer a Grade 2 sprain or something? How were they able to return in only a little over a month ???

I'm guessing 4 is on the lower end of the scale, for a well conditioned athlete. If it was you or me we're probably out for several months (or I don't know about you but definitely me  :angel: it took me 6mths to get back from a meniscus tear  :angel:  )

TP. Yeah probably. But still, even for a conditioned athlete a full tear just heals almost completely in 4-5 weeks??
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #397 on: September 20, 2020, 07:09:04 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
2 for 7 off the bench and 6 points in 30 min doesn't sound like much but I agree with what many have said.  I thought he moved very well on the court, both in terms of transition run outs and quick busts.  He looked as fast as ever to me.  And even though he did not rack up stats per his norms, he made a difference.  I wonder how the ankle felt the next day?  Anyone hear any news on that?

The Celtics had a better plan overall against the zone in this last game as well.  It was not all about Gordon Hayward.  And the heat actually missed some shots.  But if we can continue to get 30 min out of Gordon, that is better for the starters (more chance to rest) and less we need to play some of our deeper bench.

« Reply #398 on: September 20, 2020, 09:07:33 PM »

Offline KrazyLegs

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 15
I wonder how the ankle felt the next day?  Anyone hear any news on that?
No, but he said it was sore in the postgame PC.

« Reply #399 on: September 21, 2020, 04:21:16 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Obviously we all know his presence and passing adds a lot to us offensively, but Jared Weiss from the Athletic made a good analysis on how Hayward's BBIQ has impacted us defensively. The Athletic article is behind a paywall so I'm posting this segment here along with the video.

From the Athletic:

Though he is known for his offensive dynamism, it was his defensive gravitas that won this game. Hayward gave Boston more flexibility to load up on the ball, as he is savvy enough to stay in front of one man while being in position to cover another.

Early in his first stint, he found himself in a precious spot when he helped Kemba Walker out of mouse in the house situation with Bam Adebayo. Hayward slid over in transition defense to loosely double Adebayo to cut off his passing lane, while keeping an eye on Jimmy Butler in the middle. When Butler cut, Hayward managed to slide with him and prevent the entry pass, something that had killed the Celtics last game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTu46WiV_RQ

Daniel Theis tried to use this as an opportunity to get back to his man Adebayo, but that meant leaving Kelly Olynyk alone in the weak side corner where Adebayo could rifle in a pass. So Hayward slyly fronted Butler while angling flat against the baseline so he could spring into a closeout. His reaction speed was so good that he was already turning as the pass was leaving Adebayo’s hands and it took him just three steps to have a hand next to the ball as Olynyk launched for 3. Most importantly, Hayward took a diagonal angle past Olynyk to avoid a landing space foul.

That’s about five actions the Celtics were getting wrong that Hayward nailed in just one play.

https://theathletic.com/2079280/2020/09/20/gordon-hayward-celtics-game-3-win-heat/

« Reply #400 on: September 21, 2020, 04:26:55 AM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 214
Gordon is one of the more well rounded basketball players in the NBA today.

Regardless of current contract, pending free agency or anything else that's happening off the court, the Celtics are a better team when he's out there.

I like watching him play, we have another dimension or two when he's playing.

« Reply #401 on: September 21, 2020, 02:24:26 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Here's the 2nd part of the video I linked above - after doing his job defense helping Kemba on Bam, shifting to cover Buckets's cut, and closing out to Olynyk when Theis went to pick up Bam from Kemba, Gordon got the rebound after Kelly's miss, then called for a stagger screen with Kemba and Theis and found Theis with a bounce pass for an easy dunk. Again courtesy of Jared Weiss from the Athletic:

----------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlbw7UFgJuw

From the Athletic
On offense, he has brought the Celtics’ interchangeability back into play. He can grab a rebound off a miss and push in transition, then with a simple wave of the hand, jump-start the Boston offense.

The Celtics tend to run their stagger screen set “11” a handful of times a game. The play almost completely disappeared in Game 2, as the Celtics could hardly get into their playbook against the zone. The problem is that the play is usually run by Walker or Marcus Smart, as a speedy point guard is needed to get around all those screens and fly downhill. But in this moment, Hayward decided he wanted to run the play since he was already in position.

So he waved over Walker, of all people, to set the initial screen before Theis set the stagger screen at the top of the arc. Miami switched Theis’ man onto Hayward while Theis rolled down the lane. Hayward crossed over to drive middle, drew the triple team and threaded a chef’s kiss pocket pass for an easy Theis dunk.

There was no confusion about who was going to run the play. He was decisive and executed with purpose, even though it was his first 5-on-5 basketball in a month. Hayward’s calm and precision was taking over the game. The moment was monumental for this team, the make or break night of its season, and Hayward conquered it.

https://theathletic.com/2079280/2020/09/20/gordon-hayward-celtics-game-3-win-heat/
--------

Clearly Gordy's still a ways away from being the max player he was looking like he was for large parts of this season, his shooting is shaky and his conditioning isn't quite there - but in a series that is on a knife's edge any advantage counts, and even a 70% Gordy is better than anyone else on the bench we have. But he will need to be better in Game 4, and better again in Game 5 and 6.

« Reply #402 on: September 21, 2020, 04:03:39 PM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Here's the 2nd part of the video I linked above - after doing his job defense helping Kemba on Bam, shifting to cover Buckets's cut, and closing out to Olynyk when Theis went to pick up Bam from Kemba, Gordon got the rebound after Kelly's miss, then called for a stagger screen with Kemba and Theis and found Theis with a bounce pass for an easy dunk. Again courtesy of Jared Weiss from the Athletic:

----------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlbw7UFgJuw

From the Athletic
On offense, he has brought the Celtics’ interchangeability back into play. He can grab a rebound off a miss and push in transition, then with a simple wave of the hand, jump-start the Boston offense.

The Celtics tend to run their stagger screen set “11” a handful of times a game. The play almost completely disappeared in Game 2, as the Celtics could hardly get into their playbook against the zone. The problem is that the play is usually run by Walker or Marcus Smart, as a speedy point guard is needed to get around all those screens and fly downhill. But in this moment, Hayward decided he wanted to run the play since he was already in position.

So he waved over Walker, of all people, to set the initial screen before Theis set the stagger screen at the top of the arc. Miami switched Theis’ man onto Hayward while Theis rolled down the lane. Hayward crossed over to drive middle, drew the triple team and threaded a chef’s kiss pocket pass for an easy Theis dunk.

There was no confusion about who was going to run the play. He was decisive and executed with purpose, even though it was his first 5-on-5 basketball in a month. Hayward’s calm and precision was taking over the game. The moment was monumental for this team, the make or break night of its season, and Hayward conquered it.

--------

Clearly Gordy's still a ways away from being the max player he was looking like he was for large parts of this season, his shooting is shaky and his conditioning isn't quite there - but in a series that is on a knife's edge any advantage counts, and even a 70% Gordy is better than anyone else on the bench we have. But he will need to be better in Game 4, and better again in Game 5 and 6.
Great read! Are you imypling we will only need 6 games to beat them?  ::)

« Reply #403 on: September 21, 2020, 04:17:35 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Hayward does so many little things on the court that most of us don't recognize. Basketball nerds and NBA coaches do. He's worth every bit of that 30 million dollar contract if he can secure our weaknesses and give us the advantages talked about in this video.

« Reply #404 on: September 21, 2020, 05:43:08 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I hope he gets a game to take over and drop 30+. He has been through a ton and deserves a epic playoff game with the C's