Author Topic: 2019 Draft  (Read 41424 times)

Re: 2019 Draft
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2018, 03:07:44 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
nbadraft.net has updated their mock from early June.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

In their original mock they had Cam Reddish too low (out of the top 5), Rui Hachimura in the top 8 or so and Charles Bassey, who may very well end up a lottery pick, not even on the list. I emailed them to voice my displeasure. Maybe they do read the comments.

Must have been before Bassey reclassified. I don't think they update frequently.
It was definitely posted before Bassey reclassified. There still wasn't a reason to have Hachimura (was like 4th or 5th) ahead of Reddish (I think he was 6th or 7th) on their June mock draft. That is absurd. Rui is good on defense but his offensive game lacks right now and he's a junior this year so his upside isn't all that great even though he started playing ball later than some. He'll be a more focal point this year so we shall see if additional minutes and touches improves his offensive efficiency.

Yeah that mock was abysmal. Now they have a much more realistic one where Reddish goes 2 and Bassey goes 11. Little seems low though. Rui at 12 seems about right.

The most important point is that the Kings are picking too late! (Yes, I know it's based on last year's standings.)

Also, Sekou Doumbouya seems too high at 3- I really liked him based on his awesome physical talent, but his recent international performances have been duds. I'm hoping he proves me wrong, because if he could really make the most of his abilities, he'd be a great fit for the Cs. Bigger, stronger R Will with better handles. But he only picked up a ball at 12, has trouble seeing the game sometimes, and just doesn't show out on bigger stages. I don't think he's 18 yet, so maybe he just needs time and coaching, but putting him at 3? I think even for a draft site that putting potential too far ahead of achievement.

I was disappointed by Sekou deciding to stay in essentially the French minor leagues. That's not the way to impress teams looking for that next international star. You have Doncic out there leading at the highest level not the NBA and Sekou playing with scrubs in irrelevant gyms across France. I could see him dropping out of the top 5 even 10 with a so-so year.

Glad to see they are starting to drop Bol Bol. No motor whatsoever..

« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2018, 11:30:07 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Nassar Little looks pretty legit. I'm not as high on Barrett, Reddish, Williamson, or Doumbouya. They all look like decent prospects, but not upper tier prospects.

I think people are sleeping on this Jaylen Hoard kid going to Wake Forest. He is a long athlete with long strides. He has a variety of really impressive finishing moves, like eurosteps, step-throughs, and finish-overs. In my initial arm-chair scouting, He is number two after Little on my board.

Wow. Good pickup. He handles like a 6"2 point guard. TP.

Maybe his biggest knock is a very slight lack of explosiveness..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2018, 11:50:09 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Just saw today Bazley is not going G-league and will just train the year. Would have been an interesting guy/story to follow.

« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2018, 01:25:27 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Zion Williams highlights from yesterday.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FrankieVision/status/1054906150137856003

The guy's a beast.

« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2018, 09:59:34 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

The guy's a beast.
Can't wait to see him against real competition. He was open way too often and nobody was boxing him out, not that I blame them. He looks really good....in scrimmages. 

« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2018, 10:33:49 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

The guy's a beast.
Can't wait to see him against real competition. He was open way too often and nobody was boxing him out, not that I blame them. He looks really good....in scrimmages.

I just checked Duke's schedule.  Their first game is Nov 6 against Kentucky on ESPN.  10 of their first 11 games are on ESPN or ESPN2.  Duke is a must watch this year with Barrett, Reddish, Zion, and Tre Jones.

« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2018, 01:44:26 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

The guy's a beast.

I just checked Duke's schedule.  Their first game is Nov 6 against Kentucky on ESPN.  10 of their first 11 games are on ESPN or ESPN2.  Duke is a must watch this year with Barrett, Reddish, Zion, and Tre Jones.
I wonder how close this Duke team would come to beating an actual NBA team. I don't see one that is bad enough this year. Maybe Brooklyn from a couple of years ago would have close.
I don't actually think they would, what with missing a big man and not having a deep bench, but  they do have 4 lottery picks (3 top 5 guys) on that team. Should be fun to watch.

« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2018, 03:54:49 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Is Zion Williamson a center in today's NBA?

An undersized center in the mold of a Dave Cowens or Willis Reed. Is Zion capable of that?

He looks to have the build and strength to defend players bigger than him. I think he would be very difficult for players to back down in the post. I am impressed by how mobile he is defensively in covering PnR and switches. He would do very well in that area in the NBA. The downside would be the lack of shot-blocking. Zion wouldn't offer much. His athleticism looks like it can get him some weakside blocks but less intimidating when meeting players head on (like Hibbert used to I mean). Then again, guys like Tristan Thompson do not offer much shot-blocking either and he has started at center with reasonable success.

Zion would be incredibly difficult for opposing centers to defend against with his quickness and athleticism. The way he can move from inside to outside and back again. So mobile. He would be lethal with that first step of his. Attack smaller players in switches off the PnR in the post. A lot of offensive opportunities for Zion at the center position.

In the 90s, he would've been a PF like Larry Johnson or Charles Barkley ... but in today's league, can Zion Williamson do enough defensively to successfully play as an undersized center?

I am not sold on him as a PF without more of a jump-shot. I think his NBA future is more as a 5.

« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2018, 05:08:11 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Anyone have a good mock draft site?

« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2018, 05:26:00 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Way to early

« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2018, 06:06:03 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
NBA Draft Net is good
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2018, 06:26:35 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

I really miss Draft Express.

Bleacher Report does a decent job with a nice description of each player.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2799699-2019-nba-mock-draft-way-too-soon-1st-round-draft-predictions

« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2018, 06:33:21 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I really miss Draft Express.

Bleacher Report does a decent job with a nice description of each player.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2799699-2019-nba-mock-draft-way-too-soon-1st-round-draft-predictions

I miss Draft Express as well. I will check out the Blecherreport draft....

« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2018, 06:34:25 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
NBA Draft Net is good

Draft Net is useful but the profiles are less than stellar.

« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2018, 06:48:38 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527