Author Topic: Would you take Joe Johnson after a buyout?  (Read 2492 times)

Would you take Joe Johnson after a buyout?
« on: February 04, 2016, 07:51:02 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Let's assume we achieve nothing at the deadline and we buy out Lee so he can go somewhere for playing time. That opens a roster spot that we can fill for our playoff run. If/when JJ gets bought out would you take a look at him for the vets min? He'd be backup for Jae and could be very useful in a reserve role

Re: Would you take Joe Johnson after a buyout?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 08:26:53 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I'd offer him the room exception we still have kicking around.  But he has the feel of a player who goes to Miami or LA.

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 08:30:27 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Johnson will sign with a contender. We've in a youth movement. He wouldn't move the needle much for us right now.

Miami, SA, Cleveland, Chicago, Toronto, Memphis are the types of destinations I would see Johnson looking into.

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 08:35:41 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'd offer him the room exception we still have kicking around.  But he has the feel of a player who goes to Miami or LA.
I agree.  if he were to be bought out (I don't think it's a certainty though since the Nets would become even worse and they don't have an incentive to do so), I would think either of those 2 spots would be his likely landing spot --> probably Miami since they're in better shape.  darkhorse would be the Knicks -- he'd be enough to push them into the playoffs to take some of the scoring burden off Melo and Porzingis.  Afflalo's nice to have but he's not having the season the Knicks had hoped for.

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 08:52:10 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Too old ..too slow

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 10:08:18 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550
why is Brooklyn going to buy out Johnson?  He is a free agent at the end of the year and tanking does them no good (and it isn't like he is taking minutes from a future "star"). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 10:23:30 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Johnson will sign with a contender. We've in a youth movement. He wouldn't move the needle much for us right now.

Miami, SA, Cleveland, Chicago, Toronto, Memphis are the types of destinations I would see Johnson looking into.

We're as much of a contender as Chicago is, and probably more of a contender than Memphis. Joe Johnson would be a big upgrade over Jonas Jerebko. I'd be happy to have him.

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 10:30:38 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
why is Brooklyn going to buy out Johnson?  He is a free agent at the end of the year and tanking does them no good (and it isn't like he is taking minutes from a future "star").

To save cash this year. I expect JJ will want to get out and join a contender so he's be willing to leave some money on the table.

In regards to the other posters, Miami and Memphis make a lot of sense, maybe Cleveland put I think that's a bad fit for both sides. He isn't necessarily who you'd expect us to go for as he differs from our style but it's always handy to have a guy that can create his own shot and score in the clutch!

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 11:23:55 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Let's assume we achieve nothing at the deadline and we buy out Lee

Finally, a Celtics fan with an accurate grasp of reality.  8)
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 11:37:24 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
Let's assume we achieve nothing at the deadline and we buy out Lee

Finally, a Celtics fan with an accurate grasp of reality.  8)

why is Boston going to buy out Lee?  He is a free agent at the end of the year and tanking does them no good (and it isn't like he is taking minutes from a future "star").

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 11:46:46 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I think it more likely the Cs would buy Lee out close to the deadline for teams to add players to their rosters to be eligible for the playoffs if they can't trade Lee at the deadline.

As for Iso-Joe? He's toast and responsible for me being off on my prediction for the Nets to be at the back half of the lottery instead of near the bottom of the league. He'll have a few games like Kobe where he recaptures his form, but it will be very sporadic and you'd have to play him a fair amount of minutes to find if he's on that night or not.

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 12:01:25 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I do think he has something to offer off the bench I just don't think we need him
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 12:01:43 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

Can you name any former stars that aren't embracing a mentor or "come back home role" (like KG) that have been kept on a bottom of the barrel lottery team when they have an expiring contract?  Of course on the flip side, I probably can't think of any bottom of the barrel lottery teams who didn't have their own draft pick, so there is that.

Joe Johnson has said he hasn't asked for a trade or buyout, but I can't imagine his agent not pushing for one.  If anything this kind of move creates goodwill with agents. 

He isn't moving the needle for the Nets whether he's on or off the court.  I don't see him as a guy who puts any butts in the seats (as opposed to Kobe, or maybe an end of career Iverson). If you can save a little cash and create some goodwill with agents then you buy him out.  That's why I see the Nets doing it.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 12:08:04 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
No way. JJ is a horrible fit in our offense. Do we really want one of the most iso-loving players in the league?

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 12:10:24 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
No way. JJ is a horrible fit in our offense. Do we really want one of the most iso-loving players in the league?

I think he's a better passer and spot-up shooter than you may realize.