Author Topic: My Comprehensive Guide to Demarcus Cousins  (Read 2004 times)

My Comprehensive Guide to Demarcus Cousins
« on: January 08, 2013, 01:11:19 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
After not writing anything in months, I wrote 1,500 words on Demarcus Cousins and what I think it would mean for the Celtics to acquire him. Let me know what you guys think

http://planetfun.wordpress.com/2013/01/07/the-run-for-dmc/

Re: My Comprehensive Guide to Demarcus Cousins
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 01:17:42 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
One quibble right off the bat...

Danny activated the trade signal by releasing free agent pickup Jarvis Varnado and promising 2nd round prospect Kris Joseph in a decision that could only be explained by Ainge making room in order to free up roster spots for a possible multi-team transaction

I know Sherrod and others have suggested that the only reason to cut Varnado and Joseph was for a trade, but is that really true?  The Celts were facing a deadline to trim non-guaranteed deals, and they invoked that option, saving a significant amount of money and creating further flexibility.  Isn't that reasonable, independent of a trade?

Otherwise, nice article.  I think Rondo would adapt to a post-heavy offense, but I also agree that to acquire Cousins, he might have to be on his way out.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 01:21:26 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

Danny activated the trade signal by releasing free agent pickup Jarvis Varnado and promising 2nd round prospect Kris Joseph in a decision that could only be explained by Ainge making room in order to free up roster spots for a possible multi-team transaction

I know Sherrod and others have suggested that the only reason to cut Varnado and Joseph was for a trade, but is that really true?  The Celts were facing a deadline to trim non-guaranteed deals, and they invoked that option, saving a significant amount of money and creating further flexibility.  Isn't that reasonable, independent of a trade?

Otherwise, nice article.  I think Rondo would adapt to a post-heavy offense, but I also agree that to acquire Cousins, he might have to be on his way out.

Thats a good point, Roy. I'll make the switch.

Thanks for reading.

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 01:50:51 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
After not writing anything in months, I wrote 1,500 words on Demarcus Cousins and what I think it would mean for the Celtics to acquire him. Let me know what you guys think

I might take a look, but I think you wasted our time.  You might as well write an article about what it would mean to acquire LeBron James... because there's no chance we're trading for Cousins.

And also... if you're going to continue to live in a fantasy that we can trade for Cousins... you might as well remove Rondo from the equation of any theoretical analysis... because it would take Rondo to get Cousins.

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 02:13:50 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

I might take a look, but I think you wasted our time.  You might as well write an article about what it would mean to acquire LeBron James... because there's no chance we're trading for Cousins.

And also... if you're going to continue to live in a fantasy that we can trade for Cousins... you might as well remove Rondo from the equation of any theoretical analysis... because it would take Rondo to get Cousins.

My article talks about why I believe Sacramento should move Cousins, and in return they would get Rondo.

And there’s certainly an argument to be said that NOW is the time for the Kings to move Demarcus Cousins, because with his rookie contract set to expire at the end of the next season, it’s much easier to get better value under the umbrella of “this guy is knucklehead” than the umbrella of “there is no possible chance this guy will resign here” that saw the Orlando Magic acquiring Aaron Afflalo and 20 McNuggets for Dwight Howard. And his experience with the Kings combined with the cap inflexibility that several bad contracts have cost them (Marcus Thornton will make 8.75 mil in 14/15, Chuck Hayes 5.96 in 14/15, and Jason Thompson 6.5 in 15/16) the Sacramento Kings may literally have zero percent chance of retaining Cousins past next season.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 02:21:49 PM by StartOrien »

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 04:29:45 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
one bump.

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 04:32:24 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

The entire league has been waiving non-guaranteed deals left and right. Don't think it has anything to do with the trade. Also, waiving players to open roster spots would mean that (a) deal is imminent, and (b) we'll take more bodies than we send out (not very likely).
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 06:18:26 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Good article.

The Raptors gave up their pick this year to get Lowry, though.  So I don't know that they'd want to give him up so quickly, especially for a guy with issues like Tyreke Evans.

I think it might be more realistic to try to get Calderon from the Raptors in a 3 team deal like this.  Playing beside Bradley and backed up by Cousins and KG, Calderon might not be such a liability.  Plus, he's been extremely efficient this season and he's one of the few guys in the league who can come close to Rondo in terms of the ability to really capably run an offense.

Calderon is on an expiring contract and is blocking Lowry, so I imagine the Raptors would be willing to give him up for considerably less than what they'd want for Lowry.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain