Author Topic: Post lottery (finally) Mock Draft  (Read 10256 times)

Post lottery (finally) Mock Draft
« on: August 21, 2020, 09:24:03 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Now that the order is set I wanted to put a mock out there before it gets to clouded by rumors.

1   T-Wolves, Edwards I think Minn and GS both work the market hard for a trade. Edwards is a nice fit in theory but in practice he could be Wiggins 2.0 (empty stats wing)

2   Warriors, Ball I predict Ball goes #2 but is then moved. A trade idea I like Ball + 2021 loto protected 1st to Bulls for #4 and Markkanen.

3   Hornets, Wiseman I have a lot of questions on how good he will be but the talent is real and he gets a chance to show it as he fits nicely into the Hornets roster

4   Bulls, Avdija with my proposed GS trade I can see Deni going to the Bulls or GS. He brings the versatility that teams need at the wing/swing to compete in the playoffs and will be more NBA ready then most.

5    Cavs, Okoro the Cavs have an odd mix of talent and adding a defense first wing could be a first step towards building a team rather then a mix of players

6    ATL, Hayes the Hawks desperatly need a 2nd creator to play along side and spell Young. Hayes fits that role nicely and gives them a player to defend opponents best guards.

7   Pistons, Hampton he is rumored to be falling in the draft but I think his ceiling will be to high for a talent starved team to pass on. I also like the idea of him playing along side and behind D Rose.

8    NYK, Vassel the gut reaction and likely Knicks move could be to grab any PG they can however I think the smart move is to grab Vassel who projects as a solid 2-way wing who Thibs should love.

9   Wizards, Okongwu this will seem like a slide but Okonwu is just a victim of lottery teams not needing a big. He fits nicely as a clear defensive upgrade from T Bryant. This is also a spot I can see the Celtics trying to trade up to to land Okongwu ( #14+R Williams+#26?)

10 Suns Haliburton, the Suns now feel like they can be a playoff team. Hali is a great "linking piece" on offense who should keep the ball moving with smart passes, hit open shots, and play solid D

11   Spurs P Williams, this pick has a little bit of a Kawhi feel to it. Williams is a perfect project for a team that needs to keep adding young talent. His willingness to play D will endear him to Pop while they try to mold his offense 

12   Kings Toppin, I am not a Toppin fan as I think he will be a stats guy who cant play D. With the injury question marks to Bagley and Giles he seems like a fit who will get fans excited. He and Fox will at least be fun to watch. 

13   Pelicans, Anthony adding another scorer and creator to this team could really open things up. I think his year at UNC was a disaster and he will have a lot to prove in the NBA.

14   Celtics, Maxey as I have said all over this forum Maxey checks the boxes for a Celtics draft pick. Plays hard, was high rank in HS, didn't shoot well in college, and can defend. His perimeter Defense will help him push for minutes as a rookie. The other player I gave consideration to at this point was Achiuwa [/b][/color]

15   Magic, Nesmith he can shoot at a really high level. I question what else he does but that should be enough to warrant the pick. Could have also gone S Bey

16   Blazers, S Bey they need wing depth and Bey provides that and floor spacing. I don't think he will stand a chance guarding quicker or elite wings but he will at least be better then Melo and is a better over all team defender.   

17   T-Wolves, Achiuwa he could be a really nice fit next to KAT. Allows KAT to play center of D and perimeter on O while he acts as dive man and defends perimeter.

18   Mavs, Green potentialy an elite on ball defender who could compliment Luka really nicely 

19   Nets, Bolmaro they can stash him while they enjoy figuring out what Irving and Durant are next season

20   Heat, Lewis I am admittedly lower on Lewis than most and suspect he could go higher then 20. For his sake landing in Miami could be a career maker. He is a great fit for their developmental staff.

21   76ers, Terry they have had a hole in their roster since Reddick left. Terry could be that good of a shooter is an excellent compliment to Simmons and Embiid.

22   Nuggets, McDaniels
this picks keeps with their trend of going for elite upside

23   Jazz, Pokusevski
this is another high upside gamble pick, he is years away from contributing on an NBA court but his skill set is elite for his size

24   Bucks, J Smith another prospect that I'm not as high on as most. His offensive potential fits with the Bucks my worry is his D.

25   OKC, Maledon they have had good luck playing a 3 guard lineup. Drafting and stashing Maledon gives them a potential 3rd guard for the post Paul era. His size and shooting should pair well with SGA

26   Celtics, Tillman given the Cs roster and cap situation I suspect either 26 or 30 is moved to get Porier off the roster. Likely a trade that nets the Celtics another mid 2nd round pick. I the late first Tillman is a great pick and a player who can contribute from day 1. [/b][/color]

27    NYK, Mannion after not taking a PG early Mannion makes a lot of sense as a player who can play right away and projects as a good future backup guard. His ability to play on and off ball makes him easy to fit into their future roster construction

28   Lakers, Bane they need win now players and Bane should be able to plug in and provide high end shooting and decent defense as a rookie. Despite being physically limited by his short wingspan he has a strong NBA ready frame.

29   Raptors, Reed he may be trapped in between positions. Not strong enough to be a true big or quick enough to be a full time perimeter defender but at this point he is worth the gamble and lands in a great spot for his development

30   Cs, Stewart as stated before I suspect this pick or #26 is moved with Porier. Funny but Memphis makes sense as a trade partner as they obviously do not have a 1st round pick. They could add Stewart as a young backup who could compliment JJJ in the future. (Trade would be #30+Porier for #40) 

In the second round that would leave the Cs with #40 and #47
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Post lottery (finally) Mock Draft
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 09:38:38 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Definitely have very different opinions on Toppin and Maxey. Maxey looks like a James Young 2.0 while Toppin could very well end up as the best player in this draft.

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 10:02:46 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Definitely have very different opinions on Toppin and Maxey. Maxey looks like a James Young 2.0 while Toppin could very well end up as the best player in this draft.

Maxey and Young out of UK are very different players. Youngs calling card as an NBA prospect was his potential as a shooter/scorer and his defense was a work in progress. Maxey on the other hand is already a good (and aggressive) on ball defender who will need to be developed into an offensive role. They both had their stats suppressed by UKs depth but other then that they are very different players.

Toppin is a tough one for me. He could very well get drafted by the Knicks be plugged right into Julius Randles role and average near 20pts and 8rb a game and be the rookie of the year. The New York media will then anoint him their next big star and start the rumors that Donavan Mitchel wants to come to NY and play with Toppin. The problem is while the statistical production is great he will be a huge liability on D. If Toppin is starting at PF teams are going to put him in P&R constantly and force him to switch onto perimeter players. The alternative to the switch is to have him go into drop coverage but at 6'9 with a sub 7' wingspan he lacks the size to be effective. That relegates him to being a zone defender....
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 10:08:14 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The problem is while the statistical production is great he will be a huge liability on D.

I've seen some people make this claim about Toppin but it doesn't seem to be based on anything in his tape. It's seems everyone is caught up on his high hips and think it will be a problem.

I think that assessment is wrong and be will be a decent enough defender at the NBA level. All the tape shows him being plenty quick enough at moving his feet on the perimeter.

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 10:31:19 AM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
If toppin drops that low we BETTER grab him. But then again I was an advocate for Jabari Parker and that center that went to Indiana last year, so scouting young talent isn’t my strong suit lol.

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 10:39:44 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
The problem is while the statistical production is great he will be a huge liability on D.

I've seen some people make this claim about Toppin but it doesn't seem to be based on anything in his tape. It's seems everyone is caught up on his high hips and think it will be a problem.

I think that assessment is wrong and be will be a decent enough defender at the NBA level. All the tape shows him being plenty quick enough at moving his feet on the perimeter.

I will concede that I have gone head first into the "Toppin is a terrible defender" narrative.

Part of my issue is with where he is likely to be drafted. As a top half of the lottery pick most teams and fan bases do not factor in the strength of the draft class. They look at a guy and say "he is the 6th pick in the draft and should be a foundational piece of our team". This year that's not the case the majority of these lottery picks will top out as good role players. If Obi was being drafted in the 12-20 range its more palatable to think with good player development and defensive scheming he can be a productive player who likely has to sit for the critical last 5-10 minutes of close games.

Haliburton is another player who I think will suffer from inflated draft stock. I really like Haliburton as an NBA player and unlike Obi think he fits perfectly in the modern NBA both offensively and defensively. Where he could fail is if a team in need of a starting PG (knicks, Detriot depending on Rose) drafts him hands him the ball and makes him run a team. Haliburton is not the off the dribble creator that is required to be a lead initiator in the NBA. In the role who would likely fail, be deemed a "bust", then ultimately end up signing a discounted 2nd contract with a good team and thriving in am off the ball type role.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 11:14:46 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
If we keep all 3 picks, I say 2 made be a draft and stash player overseas..too many players on this roster if all 3 players are pick
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 11:24:10 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Maxey would be terrible. C's need size and shooting not an undersized combo guard who can't shoot. Nesmith and S.Bey on the board and they take Maxey. That's KO over Giannis all over again.

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 11:32:29 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Maxey would be terrible. C's need size and shooting not an undersized combo guard who can't shoot. Nesmith and S.Bey on the board and they take Maxey. That's KO over Giannis all over again.

I would argue that its Rozier over Justin Anderson all over again.

2015 the celtics needed Wing depth and had just draft Marcus Smart the year before. They admitted after the draft that they debated Anderson over Rozier but had Rozier the tier higher.

I wouldn't hate if they drafted S Bey but neither Bey of Nesmith have the high-school prospect pedigree that DA usually targets.

Since 2013 every top 20 pick the Celtics have made has a ESPN Top 100 ranking at or above a 90. Yabu is the only exception. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2020, 11:33:05 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I don't get your love affair with Maxey.  He struggled freshman year, inefficient, not especially athletic. He's an undersized 2 guard, not a point guard. This is not Donovan Mitchell we're talking about here.  There will be several far better options available at 14 than Maxey.

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2020, 11:42:31 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
If we keep all 3 picks, I say 2 made be a draft and stash player overseas..too many players on this roster if all 3 players are pick

I tend toward the trade a pick to move Porier plan, but I could also see DA selecting one of Poku, Bolmaro, or Maledon. Could also see Cs packaging #26+#30 to move up to grab Bolmaro or Maledon then stash them for the season. I like the Bomaro/Maledon option if the Cs go with Achiuwa at #14
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2020, 11:42:55 AM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
Saddiq Bey
Robert Woodard ll
Tyrell Terry
Kira Lewis
Tyler Bey

Are guys I really like so far

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2020, 11:50:31 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

I like Maxey sandpaper game but also could mean he could be injured frequently.  Question marks about his 3 pt shooting/willingness to take it.   This is where not having a combine/inability for teams to workout players hurt

I agree I would take Nesmith over Maxey

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2020, 12:11:17 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I wouldn't be surprised if Wolves and GSW trade their 1sts.

possibility

1. Hawks - Edwards
2. Knicks - Ball
3. Hornets - Wiseman
4. Bulls - Okoro
5. Cavs - Avdija
6. Wolves - Okongwu
7. Pistons - Haliburton
8. GSW - Vassell
9. Wizards - Toppin
10.  Suns - Achiuwa
11. Spurs - Patrick Williams
12. Kings - Hayes
13. Pelicans - Nesmith

-Wolves trade 1st to Hawks for 6th pick,  Cam Reddish and option to swap 2021 or 2022 1st round picks
-GSW trade 2nd, 48th pick, Chriss to Knicks for 8th pick plus Kevin Knox and Mitchell Robinson
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 12:21:19 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2020, 12:22:50 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I wouldn't be surprised if Wolves and GSW trade their 1sts.

possibility

1. Hawks - Edwards
2. Knicks - Ball
3. Hornets - Wiseman
4. Bulls - Okoro
5. Cavs - Avdija
6. Wolves - Okongwu
7. Pistons - Haliburton
8. GSW - Vassell
9. Wizards - Toppin
10.  Suns - Achiuwa
11. Spurs - Patrick Williams
12. Kings - Hayes
13. Pelicans - Nesmith

-Wolves trade 1st to Hawks for 6th pick,  Cam Reddish and option to swap 2021 or 2022 1st round picks
-GSW trade 2nd, 48th pick, Chriss to Knicks for 8th pick plus Kevin Knox and Mitchell Robinson

I could see this ATL/Wolves trade.  I have family and friends in GA and they are craving for the Hawks to be relevant again and they want Edwards!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."