Author Topic: Grizzlies Believe Return To Playoffs/Possible trade #4 & Parsons(merged threads)  (Read 8687 times)

Re: Grizzlies Believe They Can Return To Playoffs In 18-19
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2018, 08:32:31 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Not seeing it. Gasol took a step back defensively last year. Conley isn't a superstar and whoever they get at 4 probably isn't going to be an immediate contributor (maybe Doncic). As a small market they need to bottom out for stars under years of team control.

I hope they do compete this year so their pick rolls over to 2020 for us. Less protection and hopefully a better draft class when both Gasol and Conley are aging out.
Well, at least there was one piece of useful information in this thread.
not really.  if they compete, well enough not to finish in the bottom 8, the pick conveys next draft.

I think there's enough talent in Memphis to finish outside the bottom 8 so I think that pick will be coming over next year.  The Clips pick, lottery protected the next 2 years, may never convey as a first since the Clips aren't looking playoff worthy without CP3 or Griffin on that roster.

C's are probably looking at a Sac pick 2-5, Memphis pick 10-16 and their own pick 26-30 next year.  A decent spread throughout the draft. 

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2018, 08:44:20 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
Denial isn't just a river in....ah heck, forget it...too easy.

a river in Memphis?

Mike

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2018, 08:50:50 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Not seeing it. Gasol took a step back defensively last year. Conley isn't a superstar and whoever they get at 4 probably isn't going to be an immediate contributor (maybe Doncic). As a small market they need to bottom out for stars under years of team control.

I hope they do complete this year so their pick rolls over to 2020 for us. Less protection and hopefully a better draft class when both Gasol and Conley are aging out.

I think we want them to not compete. The pick is protected top 8 next summer so all they'd have to do is not be one of the 8 worst teams in the league (so win, like, 30 games) and the pick will convey to the Celtics. We'd be better if they decided to tank and then the pick would roll over with lesser protections.

My bet is still that they try to move #4 for a veteran wing to help them compete right now, give Gasol and Conley one more run at it and then start rebuilding after they've completed their obligation to Boston.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2018, 09:06:30 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I hope they do compete this year so their pick rolls over to 2020 for us. Less protection and hopefully a better draft class when both Gasol and Conley are aging out.
not really.  if they compete, well enough not to finish in the bottom 8, the pick conveys next draft.

I think there's enough talent in Memphis to finish outside the bottom 8 so I think that pick will be coming over next year.  The Clips pick, lottery protected the next 2 years, may never convey as a first since the Clips aren't looking playoff worthy without CP3 or Griffin on that roster.

C's are probably looking at a Sac pick 2-5, Memphis pick 10-16 and their own pick 26-30 next year.  A decent spread throughout the draft.

I think you’re underrating the Clippers.  They had a ton of injuries, and had to start late 2nd-rounders at PG for half the season because of them, and stil finished with a winning record.  If they can stay reasonably healthy this year (which is a definite if given some of their core players’ history) the playoffs is a solid possibility, assuming Jordan doesn’t leave.  They have a lot of money invested in the team, Ballmer wants to win, as does Doc, and they’re good enough to not be a bottom-feeder.  I’d say it’s at least 50-50 we get that pick in the next two seasons.

Meanwhile, it’s very difficult for me to see Memphis being better than 12th in the West next year.  Conley and Gasol are great, but they’re also on the downside, and the rest of the roster is rather thin.  If they get Doncic, perhaps that will give them an immediate boost, but otherwise I think that’s a team that will have a difficult time getting over the hump this year.

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2018, 10:20:11 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I think you’re underrating the Clippers.  They had a ton of injuries, and had to start late 2nd-rounders at PG for half the season because of them, and stil finished with a winning record.  If they can stay reasonably healthy this year (which is a definite if given some of their core players’ history) the playoffs is a solid possibility, assuming Jordan doesn’t leave.  They have a lot of money invested in the team, Ballmer wants to win, as does Doc, and they’re good enough to not be a bottom-feeder.  I’d say it’s at least 50-50 we get that pick in the next two seasons.

Meanwhile, it’s very difficult for me to see Memphis being better than 12th in the West next year.  Conley and Gasol are great, but they’re also on the downside, and the rest of the roster is rather thin.  If they get Doncic, perhaps that will give them an immediate boost, but otherwise I think that’s a team that will have a difficult time getting over the hump this year.
we'll see.  obviously I'd like to be wrong about the Clips since I'd like that pick to convey as a first rounder.  As for Memphis, I think a healthy Gasol and Conley will make a significant difference where they'll be able to compete for that last playoff spot out west.  better for us if they just miss or even better if they're still pretty bad and the pick carries over another year (or 2).

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2018, 11:07:21 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Return to the playoffs? Big deal. Maybe be the 8 seed and get swept by the Warriors or Rockets? Is that worth keeping the gang together? I don't think so.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2018, 11:14:18 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Return to the playoffs? Big deal. Maybe be the 8 seed and get swept by the Warriors or Rockets? Is that worth keeping the gang together? I don't think so.

It's worth selling tickets and giving the Cs a so-so pick. If they continue down this path, it will absolutely just be about money. No way in heck are they winning anything next year and they won't have their 1st anyway. How much are any of their players actually worth in a trade? The #4 pick will still receive plenty of developmental time - it's not like the Grizzlies are super-deep.

Even though they will just be wading water, it is honestly probably the best idea for their franchise. They can tear it down after 2019.

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2018, 11:45:05 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

It's worth selling tickets and giving the Cs a so-so pick. If they continue down this path, it will absolutely just be about money. No way in heck are they winning anything next year and they won't have their 1st anyway. How much are any of their players actually worth in a trade? The #4 pick will still receive plenty of developmental time - it's not like the Grizzlies are super-deep.

Even though they will just be wading water, it is honestly probably the best idea for their franchise. They can tear it down after 2019.

I thought of the tickets angle, but they're likely to play only 2 home playoff games—is that really worth it? From the owner's perspective, I guess so. And it's a good experience for the players. I just think it's an exercise in futility. And they could probably get something good in return for Gasol and Conley that will help in their rebuild.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2018, 12:06:15 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I absolutely think the Grizzlies could make the playoffs if all goes well, but what exactly is their other option.  At this point neither Gasol or Conley has all that much trade value and with them owing Boston a pick at some point, it loosens the desire to tank.  Why not give it another go and at worst you potentially rebuild some trade value for Gasol or Conley so you can move on from them next summer (or at the deadline if it looks bleak then)?  Delaying the tank decision a year, seems like the most optimal move. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2018, 12:19:28 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think with health they are a 40-45 win team at best. That might be good enough to make the playoffs in a down year for the west.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2018, 03:25:44 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Meanwhile, there’s a report from The Athletic that the Grizzlies would give up #4 to dump Chandler Parsons (owed $49 million over two years).  This would give them ~$20 million in cap space if they found a taker, but at a heavy cost.

I find it interesting from the Memphis angle, but also the Lakers angle and how difficult it will be to move Luol Deng ($37 million over two years).

Also, Chandler Parsons agent is amazing.

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2018, 03:31:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Meanwhile, there’s a report from The Athletic that the Grizzlies would give up #4 to dump Chandler Parsons (owed $49 million over two years).  This would give them ~$20 million in cap space if they found a taker, but at a heavy cost.

I find it interesting from the Memphis angle, but also the Lakers angle and how difficult it will be to move Luol Deng ($37 million over two years).

I can't believe a team like the Hawks wouldn't take that trade.  They aren't going to do anything in free agency the next couple of seasons anyway and they have to pay someone and that would really kick start their rebuild as they could end up with Doncic/Bagley and then whichever big guy they like Jackson/Bamba or they could take a riskier pick like Porter.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2018, 03:47:32 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

What? They would give up the 4th pick to get rid of Parsons? That's a terrible move.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2018, 03:56:57 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text

What? They would give up the 4th pick to get rid of Parsons? That's a terrible move.

Maybe they use his contract to balance a deal for a superstar on a team that is going into rebuild mode?
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2018, 03:59:03 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Maybe they use his contract to balance a deal for a superstar on a team that is going into rebuild mode?

No, I don’t think that’s the play here.  I’ve seen that Deng’s deal, which is $6 million less per year, should cost the Lakers 2 1sts to move.  This pricing seems to be in the same vein.  Maybe they could get a late 1st back, but definitely not a star player.