Author Topic: NBA Elite 11 vs NBA 2K 11  (Read 45365 times)

Re: NBA Elite 11 vs NBA 2K 11
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 02:36:58 AM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
I tend to go with which ever game gets a higher rating on Gamespot.com, or ign.com (Forza Motorsport 3 > Gran Turismo 4, etc.) - I own Live 10, however 2K11 is intriguing because of the whole Jordan subplot.

I think the level of control has regressed in the Live series in favor of overtly long, often-times awkward character animations  which compromise the level of strategy one can use on the court and instead make the game feel arcade-y. NBA 2K10 suffers from the same plight; both games quickly just turn into a pass, pass shoot/iso-fest where defensive schemes are secondary to the offensive pacing.

Maybe I'm just an old-school gamer; but I find I have more fun playing earlier copies of NBA Live and then just using create-a-player + basketballreference.com, or signing every player from the legends' pool to the team that they played on during the 'peak' of their career in order to try and micro-manage the league, taking into account how competitive each franchise could be, theoretically if they could somehow employ all of their best players from any era at the same time.

^I'm sure most of that can be done with later versions of NBA Live, however I'm more skilled at the older versions seeing as they've been out longer.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=36561.msg720367#msg720367
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 02:42:30 AM by Witch-King »
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 03:27:48 AM »

Offline jarufu

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 123
I have a PS3.  It get's one fresh NBA Live game a year in October. I just don't have the time for anything else.  99% of the time I'm wasting my time trying to trade players in Dynasty mode ..  :(

I was going to buy a 2nd hand copy of 2K this year and "make the switch" but just never got around to it (busy trying to trade players in Dynasty mode  ;))

The whole new control system in Elite looks intriguing - no more pushing square button and watching the animations happen to see if a basket happens!
Stay classy, San Diego. Hello, Baxter? Baxter, is that you? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee. Is this Wilt Chamberlain? Have the decency to say something.

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 04:47:29 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
i will wait a few days to hear the feedback from other people who went out and bought the games. I'm leaning towards 2k because it seems to be the better simulation. I used to be a big Live fan, especially on the PS2, but Live 07 was really horrendous. i finally made the switch with 2k8.

- LilRip
- LilRip

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 08:40:08 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I tend to go with which ever game gets a higher rating on Gamespot.com, or ign.com (Forza Motorsport 3 > Gran Turismo 4, etc.) - I own Live 10, however 2K11 is intriguing because of the whole Jordan subplot.

I think the level of control has regressed in the Live series in favor of overtly long, often-times awkward character animations  which compromise the level of strategy one can use on the court and instead make the game feel arcade-y. NBA 2K10 suffers from the same plight; both games quickly just turn into a pass, pass shoot/iso-fest where defensive schemes are secondary to the offensive pacing.

I like NBA 2k10 a lot (besides the crippling bugs) but that game was just as hindered by long, uninteruptable animations as the last few LIVE games.

Regarding 2k11 and Elite 11, I think you'll like both games if that is one of your big beefs.  

2k11 supposedly has redone their animations again and now they are interuptable to the player and blend together.  There are also better collisions between players bodies.

Elite 11 is taking that idea to the next level.  The lead designer that redid the NHL series is the lead designer on the Elite games now, and that is a good sign.  As with NHL 07, Elite 11 is trying to leave behind canned animations and use the sticks for controls, allowing you to change out of any animation and have complete control over everything your player does.  There is a great video on Youtube that shows all the posibiliities, I can't access Youtube from work though, so I'll have to link to it later for you guys.

While I really like the direction Elite 11 is heading in (a direction 2k11 is more half heartedly going in) I think it may be a promising though rough game this year (like NHL 07 was), but in the future I wouldn't be surprised if it is the far better franchise.  

Elite 11's graphics, from what they've shown, are of a far lesser quality than what 2k 11 looks like. 2k looks yet again much improved in the screens I've seen and in aciton supposedly looks beautiful.  The Jordan bit is a cool addition, though I really wish they could accurately make the whole league from back then.  It's not right being Jordan and the 96' Bulls and playing against modern teams.  Where's Bird or Magic or Barkley?

Anyways, it is a great year for basketball games.  Also keep in mind the new NBA Jam is coming to Wii in October and looks fantastic, and if you buy a new copy of NBA Elite 11 you get a digital copy of NBA Jam for PS3 or 360 (it is a stripped down version of the Wii game, but is in HD and has all the classic NBA Jam modes).  That alone makes Elite 11 a good buy if it's at least a pretty good game.

NBA JAM!  I am maybe most excited for that.  It's been so long since I played one and it looks like a great reboot.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 08:45:42 AM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 08:45:51 AM »

Offline gileyal

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
I'll go with the one that has a better "myplayer" mode. 2k10's was good but lacked a lot of important options - especially:

1. ability to play shorter seasons
2. ability to be traded

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 08:56:52 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I'm shocked to see the debate: I thought after the second update most of the 2k bugs were out and it went back to being a phenomenal game.

I probably play 2 hours of videogames a week, and still 2k10 probably holds about 95% of that.

2k11, a thousand times over. Probably take the day off (or the following Friday) when it's released.

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 08:57:41 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I'll go with the one that has a better "myplayer" mode. 2k10's was good but lacked a lot of important options - especially:

1. ability to play shorter seasons
2. ability to be traded

Also ability not to have your game file ruined by bugs... happend to me games before the playoffs, suddenly would not play despite starting or playing the most minutes a game and being my teams MVP.  Had friends never make it out of the D-League after a whole season there averaging 30 pts a game.

The My Player in that game was released so full of bugs and unfinished.  My player was also on two teams the whole time somehow, or at least would show up that way.

The online franchises in that game also were broken.  They need to release a finished game this year, that's ridiculous.  And yes, the ability to be traded and play shorter seasons would be great.  They should give you the same sort of customization options you get with the Association mode.

I'm shocked to see the debate: I thought after the second update most of the 2k bugs were out and it went back to being a phenomenal game.

I probably play 2 hours of videogames a week, and still 2k10 probably holds about 95% of that.

2k11, a thousand times over. Probably take the day off (or the following Friday) when it's released.

2k still has a ton of bugs.  The My Player and Online Franchise modes are crippled by bugs.  And even in quick games I still get bugs, like the one that leaves the moving spotlights on during the action after a stop in play, which kills the game's framrate.

I still think it's really a fun game and way better than Live 10, but it does have that problem of not giving enough control and taking you out of control.  Both games seem to be addressing that issue this year. 

It is a debate between 2k 11 and Elite 11 because Elite really is headed in the right direction.  Even if this year's game is not as good as 2k's, it will influence it (I believe it already has) and will be where basketball games head in the future.  Elite 11 also includes a free copy of NBA Jam, and that is a good value that will be very, very fun.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 09:03:07 AM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 10:52:55 AM »

Offline scootman

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
if you buy elite it comes with a nba jam code as well

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010, 11:19:24 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
To me, EA sports in recent years have continously said the right things, but have yet to deliver on any. Even if they're dedicated to change, is one year ample time to rival 2k? I doubt it.

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 11:25:43 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
2K!  There shouldn't even be a debate on this.  Live sucks!  Until I play NBA Elite first hand I have to say 2k.  After I rent Elite and if it is better than 2K, which I highly doubt it will be, then I'll buy it, but right now it is easily 2K.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 11:36:29 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I don't know this year.. EA is doing some good sounding things for Elite. I mean their track record over the last 7 or so years isn't very good and they're sticking with EA Canada who's put out some terrible NBA games but they're doing this thing this year where you control the player's hands and feet with the two analog sticks. So for example, you can jump one way and shoot the other way I guess is an easy explanation. Real-time physics should be nice, too. Still got the same plasticy look, however.

It does come with NBA Jam, though.. I'm all about that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ6OXxyPc9o

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2010, 04:52:43 PM »

Offline jarufu

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 123
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEYayJx1mXw

the level of control looks amazing!  Can't wait!
Stay classy, San Diego. Hello, Baxter? Baxter, is that you? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee. Is this Wilt Chamberlain? Have the decency to say something.

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2010, 05:01:03 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEYayJx1mXw

the level of control looks amazing!  Can't wait!

The only thing about the Live/Elite series I covet (and don't expect 2ksports to not only match but improve upon) is the handles system.

I still don't know how to spin dribble in 2k10

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2010, 05:01:39 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I think 2k has some improvments to make but I am def. going with 2k. I have since 2k8. Just thought NBA live was awful. Player movements and stuff just looked dumb. IDK I really love 2k11. I hope in my player mode will be a little better. Like someone said before with being able to demand trades and stuff like that. I think it would be cool to be able to do things like that with headlines about your player on weather he is is loyal or a baby.

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2010, 05:31:02 AM »

Offline DKClassic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 177
here's a video of a cool feature, one of the games you have to play in the jordan challenges.  you have to beat all of the challenges to unlock mj as a playable character in my player mode.  the cool thing is that they feature the real rosters from every challenge.

http://kotaku.com/5624140/first-videos-showcase-gameplay-of-the-jordan-challenge