Author Topic: Celtics need to trade Rondo this summer  (Read 83557 times)

Re: Celtics need to trade Rondo this summer
« Reply #225 on: May 22, 2012, 03:11:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Name one player in the NBA who isn't on their rookie contract and can match Rondo's production (3x all-star, league leader in APG, perennial all-defense selection) at his salary.

The Celtics could not possibly match his talent in a trade without taking on significantly more money, it just makes no sense at all.

I don't think anyone out there can do precisely what Rondo does at any contract number. He's a unique player.

But as far as comparable talent at comparable money, Igouadala, Aldridge, Monta Ellis, Horford, Bogut, Tony Parker, Marc Gasol, Josh Smith come to mind.

Some of those guys are more established, some are less, but I think their talent levels across the board (when healthy) are about comparable to Rondo's.

I'm sorry but there's not a player you listed who's locked in for as long as Rondo is at his salary and capable of matching his production. Some are making significantly more, others are nearing the end of their deals and I would take Rondo over every one of those players.
Tony Parker finished 5th in MVP voting this year (Rondo was 8th) and makes only a tiny bit more money than Rondo over the next 3 seasons (37.5 to 36).  

EDIT:  BTW, Mike Conley makes about 12 million less than Rondo over the next 3 seasons (and is signed for an extra year after that) and while he obviously isn't as talented as Rondo, he provides a lot of the things you would want in a PG, good shooter, good ball handler, good passer, good defender.  He doesn't have quite the all around talent of Rondo, but certainly has just as good of value for his price.

Tony Parker is also 30, and the Spurs are a much deeper and overall better team.

Mike Conleys  are a dime a dozen, he isn't even in the same conversation as Rondo. Downgrading Rondo for Conley would make us a much worse team both now and in the future. Value for price at his talent level is not difficult to find, and Lowry isn't a whole lot better. An all-star point guard who leads the league in assists and can dominate both ends of the floor while making less money than every other all-star who isn't on their rookie contract is not easy to find.

Bargnani, are you kidding me? Westbrook is also in line for a max deal. Of course there are other good contracts out there, but find me one which is BETTER than Rondo's.
that is Westbrook's new contract.  Starts at just under 13 million next year, goes up about a million per year, while Rondo is at just over 11 million next year and goes up about a million per year.  And Westbrook is locked up longer than Rondo is.  Westbrook and Kevin Love (who has the exact same contract) have a better contract than Rondo for what they bring to the table.

Sure Conley is worse than Rondo, but no one suggested the Celtics should trade Rondo for Conley straight up.  The Celtics would be getting other pieces in the trade, draft picks and/or young players (or maybe Mayo if he would sign a reasonable long term deal).  I mean Conley and Mayo would provide more production on a similar salary as Rondo (unless Mayo is grossly overpaid). 

The team that gets the best player generally wins the trade. Sending Rondo away for a couple of halfway decent players is going in the wrong direction for the team.

Not to mention how you get stuck in NBA purgatory.  Low lottery/7-8 seed territory.
Isn't that where the Celtics are going to be anyway, except maybe worse i.e. late lottery/sneaking into the playoffs?  I mean I don't see how that is a better place to be.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #226 on: May 22, 2012, 03:44:21 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Name one player in the NBA who isn't on their rookie contract and can match Rondo's production (3x all-star, league leader in APG, perennial all-defense selection) at his salary.

The Celtics could not possibly match his talent in a trade without taking on significantly more money, it just makes no sense at all.

I don't think anyone out there can do precisely what Rondo does at any contract number. He's a unique player.

But as far as comparable talent at comparable money, Igouadala, Aldridge, Monta Ellis, Horford, Bogut, Tony Parker, Marc Gasol, Josh Smith come to mind.

Some of those guys are more established, some are less, but I think their talent levels across the board (when healthy) are about comparable to Rondo's.

I'm sorry but there's not a player you listed who's locked in for as long as Rondo is at his salary and capable of matching his production. Some are making significantly more, others are nearing the end of their deals and I would take Rondo over every one of those players.
Tony Parker finished 5th in MVP voting this year (Rondo was 8th) and makes only a tiny bit more money than Rondo over the next 3 seasons (37.5 to 36).  

EDIT:  BTW, Mike Conley makes about 12 million less than Rondo over the next 3 seasons (and is signed for an extra year after that) and while he obviously isn't as talented as Rondo, he provides a lot of the things you would want in a PG, good shooter, good ball handler, good passer, good defender.  He doesn't have quite the all around talent of Rondo, but certainly has just as good of value for his price.

Tony Parker is also 30, and the Spurs are a much deeper and overall better team.

Mike Conleys  are a dime a dozen, he isn't even in the same conversation as Rondo. Downgrading Rondo for Conley would make us a much worse team both now and in the future. Value for price at his talent level is not difficult to find, and Lowry isn't a whole lot better. An all-star point guard who leads the league in assists and can dominate both ends of the floor while making less money than every other all-star who isn't on their rookie contract is not easy to find.

Bargnani, are you kidding me? Westbrook is also in line for a max deal. Of course there are other good contracts out there, but find me one which is BETTER than Rondo's.
that is Westbrook's new contract.  Starts at just under 13 million next year, goes up about a million per year, while Rondo is at just over 11 million next year and goes up about a million per year.  And Westbrook is locked up longer than Rondo is.  Westbrook and Kevin Love (who has the exact same contract) have a better contract than Rondo for what they bring to the table.

Sure Conley is worse than Rondo, but no one suggested the Celtics should trade Rondo for Conley straight up.  The Celtics would be getting other pieces in the trade, draft picks and/or young players (or maybe Mayo if he would sign a reasonable long term deal).  I mean Conley and Mayo would provide more production on a similar salary as Rondo (unless Mayo is grossly overpaid). 

The team that gets the best player generally wins the trade. Sending Rondo away for a couple of halfway decent players is going in the wrong direction for the team.

Not to mention how you get stuck in NBA purgatory.  Low lottery/7-8 seed territory.
Isn't that where the Celtics are going to be anyway, except maybe worse i.e. late lottery/sneaking into the playoffs?  I mean I don't see how that is a better place to be.

I think a lot of people assume that since they don't know what moves Danny might make, he won't make any moves of note. Beyond that, we could easily be as good or better next year than we were over the  last 2.5 months or so, I don't see a need to get away from that in order to trade Rondo for Conley and Mayo.

« Reply #227 on: May 22, 2012, 03:51:06 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Where is that written in stone if they keep Rondo and their current salary cap situation heading into this offseason & 2013?

And where is the guarantee that it wouldn't be that case with a trade like the one mentioned?

I just don't see the need to trade Rondo where its pretty clear that they won't get equal value in return.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #228 on: May 22, 2012, 04:41:09 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Name one player in the NBA who isn't on their rookie contract and can match Rondo's production
It's a fair point.   If you look at pure "production" (Points + assists + rebounds + blocks + steals ... subtract missed shots and turnovers), Rondo was the 29th most productive player in the league this year.

Of the 28 players who were "more productive" than Rondo... the following are still on their rookie contracts:  Blake Griffin, Westbrook, Cousins, Greg Monroe.  Rookie contract guys who were slightly "less productive" than Rondo were Ty Lawson, John Wall, Kyrie Irving, Brandon Jennings and Steph Curry.

Of the 28 players who were "more productive" than Rondo only the following players are paid less.  Paul Milisap (8 mil a year), Marcin Gortat (6-7 mil per year), Kris Humphries (8 mil per year).  Of course, that has a lot to with big men being the most productive players in the league... clearly you would NEVER swap out Rondo for Kris Humphries despite that fact that Humphries (14 points, 11 rebounds, 1.5 assists, 1.2 blocks and a steal with 48% shooting and 75% from the line) compared to Rondo (12 points, 11 assists, 5 rebounds, 2 steals, 45% shooting, 60% from the line) ever so slightly favors Humphries.  Of course if you put more value on an assist than a rebound, that changes significantly, but I that's besides the point.  

Of the 28 players "more productive" than Rondo, here are the guys who have comparable contracts (FYI, these days you can take back 150% of a salary you send out.  So although these are considered "higher", you could still probably trade Rondo straight up for them):  Kevin Love (14-17 mil), Big Al (14-15 mil), Aldridge (14-16 mil), David Lee (11-15 mil), Josh Smith (12-13 mil), Marc Gasol (13-16 mil), Tyson Chandler (13-14 mil).....   And here are the guys slightly less productive than Rondo:  Varejao (8-10 mil), Steve Nash (11 mil), Tony Parker (12 mil), Noah (11-13 mil), Iggy (13-15 mil), Lowry (6 mil), Al HOrford (12 mil), Ellis - (11 mil) ...

Use this data as you see fit.

« Reply #229 on: May 22, 2012, 04:49:33 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Name one player in the NBA who isn't on their rookie contract and can match Rondo's production
It's a fair point.   If you look at pure "production" (Points + assists + rebounds + blocks + steals ... subtract missed shots and turnovers), Rondo was the 29th most productive player in the league this year.

Of the 28 players who were "more productive" than Rondo... the following are still on their rookie contracts:  Blake Griffin, Westbrook, Cousins, Greg Monroe.  Rookie contract guys who were slightly "less productive" than Rondo were Ty Lawson, John Wall, Kyrie Irving, Brandon Jennings and Steph Curry.

Of the 28 players who were "more productive" than Rondo only the following players are paid less.  Paul Milisap (8 mil a year), Marcin Gortat (6-7 mil per year), Kris Humphries (8 mil per year).  Of course, that has a lot to with big men being the most productive players in the league... clearly you would NEVER swap out Rondo for Kris Humphries despite that fact that Humphries (14 points, 11 rebounds, 1.5 assists, 1.2 blocks and a steal with 48% shooting and 75% from the line) compared to Rondo (12 points, 11 assists, 5 rebounds, 2 steals, 45% shooting, 60% from the line) ever so slightly favors Humphries.  Of course if you put more value on an assist than a rebound, that changes significantly, but I that's besides the point.  

Of the 28 players "more productive" than Rondo, here are the guys who have comparable contracts (FYI, these days you can take back 150% of a salary you send out.  So although these are considered "higher", you could still probably trade Rondo straight up for them):  Kevin Love (14-17 mil), Big Al (14-15 mil), Aldridge (14-16 mil), David Lee (11-15 mil), Josh Smith (12-13 mil), Marc Gasol (13-16 mil), Tyson Chandler (13-14 mil).....   And here are the guys slightly less productive than Rondo:  Varejao (8-10 mil), Steve Nash (11 mil), Tony Parker (12 mil), Noah (11-13 mil), Iggy (13-15 mil), Lowry (6 mil), Al HOrford (12 mil), Ellis - (11 mil) ...

Use this data as you see fit.

Tells me even more that the Celts have a great deal from a money standpoint with Rondo and you're not going to find equal value for him out there.  Plus, he's a PG.  That's huge from a "can you find talent?" standpoint.

Otherwords, you don't move Rondo. Realistically, you're not going to get a great return for him.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #230 on: May 22, 2012, 04:50:46 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Bargnani, are you kidding me?

Heh, the one 7-footer who might actually be a worse rebounder than Ryan Hollins.
Nope, at least not by rebound rate.  Of course Bargnani is a SF and a pretty solid scorer.

Bargnani has a lower career rebounding rate, his worst season is lower and his best season is not as high as Hollins, so a case can be made that Bargnani is a worse rebounder.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #231 on: May 22, 2012, 04:51:31 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
on the topic of trading Rondo, though...

Dwight HOward supposedly still wants a trade:  http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/221167/Source_Dwight_Still_Wants_Trade ... And supposedly any team willing to take back Hedo is a frontrunner.

Just throwing this out there... Boston will have roughly 25 mil in cap space if they let KG, Ray, Bass, Jeff Green, Pietrus, etc all walk:

Rondo (11 mil next year) + both 1st round picks for Dwight 19.5 mil + Hedo (11.8 mil) actually works.  We're taking on an additional 20 mil, but we'd have the cap space to absorb it.  Of course, this would leave no cap room to sign Deron Williams as a free agent... so that kinda nixes it for me.  That said... if the rumors about KG and Pierce retiring are true... DO IT.  Pierce falling off the books (even via amnesty) would leave enough money to take on Dwight, HEdo AND have enough money to offer Deron a fat contract.

Rondo (11 mil) + draft picks for Dwight (19.5 mil) WITHOUT Hedo would leave enough money for us to offer Deron a lucrative deal.  I'm just sayin... there are not many Rondo trades I'd consider... but bringing in a superstar like Dwight is one I'd have to do.

« Reply #232 on: May 22, 2012, 05:26:27 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Dwight HOward supposedly still wants a trade:  http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/221167/Source_Dwight_Still_Wants_Trade ... And supposedly any team willing to take back Hedo is a frontrunner.

Just throwing this out there... Boston will have roughly 25 mil in cap space if they let KG, Ray, Bass, Jeff Green, Pietrus, etc all walk:

Rondo (11 mil next year) + both 1st round picks for Dwight 19.5 mil + Hedo (11.8 mil) actually works.  We're taking on an additional 20 mil, but we'd have the cap space to absorb it.  Of course, this would leave no cap room to sign Deron Williams as a free agent... so that kinda nixes it for me.  That said... if the rumors about KG and Pierce retiring are true... DO IT.  Pierce falling off the books (even via amnesty) would leave enough money to take on Dwight, HEdo AND have enough money to offer Deron a fat contract.

Rondo (11 mil) + draft picks for Dwight (19.5 mil) WITHOUT Hedo would leave enough money for us to offer Deron a lucrative deal.  I'm just sayin... there are not many Rondo trades I'd consider... but bringing in a superstar like Dwight is one I'd have to do.
we don't have cap space until long after the draft so you can't trade the two picks this year unless you trade the actual players. 

And you wouldn't have to amnesty Pierce necessarily as you might be able to just trade him to Orlando (where he might retire and come off their books anyway)

« Reply #233 on: May 22, 2012, 06:24:09 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

we don't have cap space until long after the draft so you can't trade the two picks this year unless you trade the actual players. 

And you wouldn't have to amnesty Pierce necessarily as you might be able to just trade him to Orlando (where he might retire and come off their books anyway)

I think we could be looking at bringing the gang back together for another year plus green some rookies and maybe absorbing a one year deal like Milsap who is around 8.5 mill.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #234 on: May 22, 2012, 06:49:05 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I want no part of Dwight Howard.  Even if the Magic where giving him away for nothing, I'm good. 

I don't like his game, his demeanor, or the drama that he seems to create.  Nah, there's other ways to stay competitive, and all of them include keeping Rajon Rondo as our point guard as far as I'm concerned.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #235 on: May 22, 2012, 07:30:37 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I want no part of Dwight Howard.  Even if the Magic where giving him away for nothing, I'm good. 

I don't like his game, his demeanor, or the drama that he seems to create.  Nah, there's other ways to stay competitive, and all of them include keeping Rajon Rondo as our point guard as far as I'm concerned.
LOL... Classic Celtics18.  Bron, Dwight and Chris Paul could all desperately want to play for the celtics and you'd want no part in them because we have Rondo.   ::)

« Reply #236 on: May 22, 2012, 07:34:05 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Yea ...I'd still trade Bass , Hollins, Williams , Streamer and Ray for Howard..... ;D

throw in Dooling .... as a bonus for FREE ;)

« Reply #237 on: May 22, 2012, 09:16:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

LOL... Classic Celtics18.  Bron, Dwight and Chris Paul could all desperately want to play for the celtics and you'd want no part in them because we have Rondo.   ::)
I truly believe there is a good chance that Josh Smith and Dwight Howard both come to Boston in 2013 (if the Celtics can move Pierce and thus have the cap space to sign both).  I think that scenario is probably more likely with Rondo as they both seem to like Rondo, which imo is the biggest reason to keep Rondo around.

« Reply #238 on: May 22, 2012, 09:43:18 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Rondo (11 mil next year) + both 1st round picks for Dwight 19.5 mil + Hedo (11.8 mil) actually works.  We're taking on an additional 20 mil, but we'd have the cap space to absorb it.  Of course, this would leave no cap room to sign Deron Williams as a free agent... so that kinda nixes it for me.  That said... if the rumors about KG and Pierce retiring are true... DO IT.  Pierce falling off the books (even via amnesty) would leave enough money to take on Dwight, HEdo AND have enough money to offer Deron a fat contract.

I want no part of Dwight Howard.  Even if the Magic where giving him away for nothing, I'm good.  

I don't like his game, his demeanor, or the drama that he seems to create.  Nah, there's other ways to stay competitive, and all of them include keeping Rajon Rondo as our point guard as far as I'm concerned.
LOL... Classic Celtics18.  Bron, Dwight and Chris Paul could all desperately want to play for the celtics and you'd want no part in them because we have Rondo.   ::)

I know it's hard to comprehend, but sorry, I would have a very difficult time rooting for the above team even if they were wearing Celtic green.  Maybe it's just me.  Sometimes it seems that way, but there have to be others out there that have a little more old fashioned sense of what being a sports fan is all about.  Or, maybe we all just live in too much of a video/fantasy/talk radio/tabloid sports society to care about any of the ideals of what it is to support a team and its players, and to have players who play for the other teams to root against?

Anyway, laugh away, my friend, laugh away.  

And, by the way, come on now!  "Bron"?  I feel like I might throw up a little.  I hope my new lap top is insured for that.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 09:49:44 PM by Celtics18 »
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #239 on: May 22, 2012, 10:27:30 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Rondo (11 mil next year) + both 1st round picks for Dwight 19.5 mil + Hedo (11.8 mil) actually works.  We're taking on an additional 20 mil, but we'd have the cap space to absorb it.  Of course, this would leave no cap room to sign Deron Williams as a free agent... so that kinda nixes it for me.  That said... if the rumors about KG and Pierce retiring are true... DO IT.  Pierce falling off the books (even via amnesty) would leave enough money to take on Dwight, HEdo AND have enough money to offer Deron a fat contract.

I want no part of Dwight Howard.  Even if the Magic where giving him away for nothing, I'm good.  

I don't like his game, his demeanor, or the drama that he seems to create.  Nah, there's other ways to stay competitive, and all of them include keeping Rajon Rondo as our point guard as far as I'm concerned.
LOL... Classic Celtics18.  Bron, Dwight and Chris Paul could all desperately want to play for the celtics and you'd want no part in them because we have Rondo.   ::)

I know it's hard to comprehend, but sorry, I would have a very difficult time rooting for the above team even if they were wearing Celtic green.  Maybe it's just me.  Sometimes it seems that way, but there have to be others out there that have a little more old fashioned sense of what being a sports fan is all about.  Or, maybe we all just live in too much of a video/fantasy/talk radio/tabloid sports society to care about any of the ideals of what it is to support a team and its players, and to have players who play for the other teams to root against?

Anyway, laugh away, my friend, laugh away.  

And, by the way, come on now!  "Bron"?  I feel like I might throw up a little.  I hope my new lap top is insured for that.

Need to agree here.  I couldn't root for JO, even as a Celtic, because I just can't stand him or the thug/intimidation game he devolved to when his skills and body failed him.

There are plenty of talented players that just aren't good enough to be Celtics...lump them in with the Wilt Chamberlains if you will.

I want no part of Howard or Lebron, even if they're the best players in the league.