Author Topic: We've hit rock bottom  (Read 10105 times)

Re: We've hit rock bottom
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2019, 08:23:37 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
If we are healthy, we can beat anybody.

Not if the Celts are not fundamentally sound.

Celts are weak in rebounding and they rely too much on the 3-point shot.

Baynes will help greatly with the rebounding. I feel he's really underrated around here.

Yes, Baynes will definitely help with the rebounding.
But Baynes is not a low post threat.

Celts are also at their best when they play small.
We rarely see Horford and Baynes playing together for long stretches in a game.

So it is what it is.

I still think the Celts can get to the east finals.
But I don't think Celts can get the #2 seed.
Maybe the #3 seed is possible.

The most realistic scenario is the #4 seed.

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2019, 10:57:40 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
In some respects I'm almost resigned to letting Kyrie and Morris walk. Keep all the players and picks and keep growing. You notice how the FAs are the one speaking out...Morris and Kyrie.

If this young guys feel more cohesion and play harder with each other, go with it. They proved and may have learned something going to the ECF last year. That is no easy task and to limit their growth now isn't wise.

No offense, but I wish people would stop bringing up last year's playoffs. It's not like the team did anything remarkably special. Okay, they won't farther than most expected w/o Kyrie and lost to a decimated Cavs team in 7 games.

Is that the new bar now? Just to make it to the Eastern Conference finals

Let's move on from last year's playoffs, please. Last year's playoff roster is not going to win a championship and that's the goal (or should be the goal.)

Not too mention that things haven't remained static.

Obviously, CLE got worse but MIL, TOR, & PHI are all better.

This team needs Kyrie.

Kyrie is not durable....cut bait.

Got news for you. I am fairly certain all teams this summer with cap space would love to have him. I'd rather keep him in Boston, thanks.

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2019, 12:12:43 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Everyone is healthy.  We've been winning games.  We blew a couple huge leads, but we're heading into all-star break soon and these guys will come out with a new sense of urgency and fire.

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2019, 02:10:17 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Everyone is healthy.  We've been winning games.  We blew a couple huge leads, but we're heading into all-star break soon and these guys will come out with a new sense of urgency and fire.

It could also backfire.

The team could come out with no sense of urgency and fire.

Time will tell.

One thing's for sure, this current Celtics team is not fundamentally sound.
That's why there's a lot of ups and downs this season.

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2019, 04:35:27 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
This. We are still in it like we always were. We also played well against stronger teams.
I evaluate the season by playoff performance, not by mid-season record.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2019, 04:55:00 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

It could also backfire.

Time will tell.

We can't ignore also that
1)the team needs to play GH a guy who is far from his old self due a freak injury. We cannot bench him.He needs to play even if he sucks
2)we have 2 (or 3) inexperienced players who don't know how to handle pressure and expectations

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2019, 06:46:23 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

It could also backfire.

Time will tell.

We can't ignore also that
1)the team needs to play GH a guy who is far from his old self due a freak injury. We cannot bench him.He needs to play even if he sucks
2)we have 2 (or 3) inexperienced players who don't know how to handle pressure and expectations

I agree with playing GH even if he's not his old self yet.

The inexperienced players will play less in the playoffs.
This is where GH comes in.
GH can redeem himself in the playoffs because Brad will trust GH in crunch time.

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2019, 07:04:52 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Ainge will be looking for this and will rebuild the team if this does not happen next summer.

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2019, 07:09:09 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Ainge will be looking for this and will rebuild the team if this does not happen next summer.
Yes, that's what he is trying to do all the time :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 07:15:37 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2019, 08:04:12 AM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
Rock Bottom will be alienating all our young guys and Coach Stevens then seeing Kyrie walk for nothing and we can't sign/trade for any other significant player out on the market.

That would be actually be worse than rock bottom but yeah this season is far from over.

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2019, 08:26:24 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
This has got to be the most comfortable rock in the world.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2019, 08:51:18 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Win on Tuesday and i am a believer.

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2019, 09:38:06 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Stevens needs to realize Hayward may not help us this year. I think it's time to start dropping his minutes significantly and take the pressure off of him. Give those minutes to Brown, Rozier and Theis.

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2019, 09:45:04 AM »

Offline Pvictor11

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 62
Win on Tuesday and i am a believer.

Oddly or not, I think they might win. I don't expect them to open a big lead on philly, so they'll need to be active the full 48 minutes. Could be just the opposite of the last 2 games: they fall behind by 15 points and them comeback. Maybe we have a bipolar team
Brazilian Celtic Fan!

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2019, 09:58:39 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Stevens needs to realize Hayward may not help us this year. I think it's time to start dropping his minutes significantly and take the pressure off of him. Give those minutes to Brown, Rozier and Theis.

Hayward has been shooting much better since the start of 2019 as well as Brown. Conversely Morris has come back to earth since the start of January a little bit since his hot start to the season.  Brown and Hayward have higher upsides than Morris and both had showed signs of strong play recently especially Brown.

Morris is playing about 28 minutes a night.  I would bring him down to around 20 and insert Brown into the starting lineup.  Get Brown up to around 30 minutes a night.  Maybe not now but I would think about inserting Hayward into the starting lineup soon. Time to sink or swim with our most talented players.

Brown and Hayward are playing better than the start of the season when we went 10 and 10.  They provide the highest upside from Morris, and Smart although I don’t think Smart’s minutes should go down much at all.