Poll

Given what each would cost, and their respective ages/contracts, who would you want?

Andre Drummond
8 (8.3%)
Myles Turner
20 (20.8%)
Clint Capela
4 (4.2%)
Marc Gasol
4 (4.2%)
Hassan Whiteside
1 (1%)
Jusuf Nurkic
6 (6.3%)
Cody Zeller
4 (4.2%)
Derrick Favors
6 (6.3%)
Steven Adams
11 (11.5%)
A Young Guy
0 (0%)
Dwayne Dedmon
5 (5.2%)
Ehhh, none  are worth what it would cost
27 (28.1%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: Big Man Options  (Read 70932 times)

Re: Big Man Options
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2019, 07:10:45 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Been a Faried fan for years..he is better than Theis, Vincent and RW3
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2019, 07:23:23 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Would have loved for us to somehow get Favors.

Anyone else shocked Faried is still a free agent? In Houston he averaged 13/8 in under 25MPG

Not very shocked.  His reputation over the last few years has been steadily declining, both on court and in the locker room.

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2019, 07:25:16 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Anyone else shocked Faried is still a free agent? In Houston he averaged 13/8 in under 25MPG

Not very shocked.  His reputation over the last few years has been steadily declining, both on court and in the locker room.
Interesting. Had no idea he's been problematic in the locker room. Makes sense as to why we never even looked at him
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2019, 07:33:09 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Interesting. Had no idea he's been problematic in the locker room. Makes sense as to why we never even looked at him

Yeah, whispers about it came out pretty much the season he signed his rookie extension — he was on the block before the extension actually kicked in.  But he was pretty unmovable.  It disappointed me, because I too liked him.

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2019, 07:45:40 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
I’d listen to a budget deal for Nurkic depending on his injury and Portland’s status. They are no playoff lock and could be closer to a rebuild than another deep playoff run.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2019, 07:50:08 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I'm not.

Guys who can't shoot or punish switches but also can't defend the 5 / protect the rim are basically obsolete in the modern NBA.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2019, 08:14:20 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I’d listen to a budget deal for Nurkic depending on his injury and Portland’s status. They are no playoff lock and could be closer to a rebuild than another deep playoff run.

Unless there's an injury to Lillard or McCollum, they're a playoff lock. They've only missed the playoffs once since they've had Lillard and that was his rookie year.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2019, 08:15:32 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Yeah, whispers about it came out pretty much the season he signed his rookie extension — he was on the block before the extension actually kicked in.  But he was pretty unmovable.  It disappointed me, because I too liked him.
Ahhh, gotcha. Denver really got no mainstream coverage down here, so can't say I heard anything. I always liked him when he was The Manimal.

I'm not.

Guys who can't shoot or punish switches but also can't defend the 5 / protect the rim are basically obsolete in the modern NBA.
He was a 35% shooter from deep in Houston ;)

All jokes aside, I get why he's not in the league as a significant piece. Just thought some team would take a flier on an efficient strong rebounder. But I didn't know his locker room presence wasn't great.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2019, 08:57:11 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
only one on the list whose contract cost wouldn't be worth a king's ransom and would provide some of what we need is Favors.  problem is matching salaries in a deal.

for anyone looking for another big man, I think nothing happens except perhaps Danny claiming someone off waivers later this year.  of course that would require cutting someone else loose. 

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2019, 09:00:20 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Dedmon would be my choice. He's a 3 and D center who's a volume shooter at a decent clip, and is a pretty good defender.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2019, 09:47:15 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I’m personally looking forward to the Celtics big-man-by-committee approach this year.  They have a lot of bigs with different strengths and weaknesses, and I think Stevens will be able to use those different matchups to his advantage.  It’s a wings and guards league, so unless you have a truly elite center, salary resources are best not spent on bigs, and instead spent elsewhere, while treating centers as complimentary pieces.

Ya I mostly agree on this, I just think certain qualities at certain positions act as sort of "force multipliers." Examples include elite passing PG's, shooters who can hit from well beyond the arc, defense stopper wings and bigs who can either protect the rim or shoot at elite levels. The Celtics have a bunch of bigs who are either huge question marks (Poirer) might not be ready (Williams) or who are very, very bad defensively (kanter). Theis is fine defensively until you have to stop guys like Embiid and Giannis. It COULD work out just fine, especially in the regular season and as you say it will fascinating to watch Stevens manage that rotation. IMO theres just a cap on what you can be defensively with the bigs the C's have.

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2019, 09:46:16 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
If the Thunder are still selling at the trade deadline, then Steven Adams and Gallinari would be a very nice addition to boost our front court.

Would probably take Hayward, Theis and Robert Williams to even out salaries.

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2019, 03:14:55 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I think we've all gone up and down the teams in the NBA, wondering about the right fit for this team.

As currently constructed, I don't think a single name mentioned makes sense for this team. We don't have similar contracts invested in similar talent level to make the trades fair. We are either giving up way too much, or the players we want have too high of salary.

If a player was bought out, it might make sense to pick them up (Gasol, Whiteside, etc.), but I don't see another fit for a trade whatsoever, except ...

One player that is not on the list and I don't believe has been mentioned in this thread.

The only player that makes sense to me is Karl Anthony-Towns. I think a package of Smart-Tatum-Theis-Memphis 1st gets the value in the ballpark of what Minny would be looking for (although they may want more). At this point, there is no evidence whatsoever that Towns is trying to get out, and there's no reason the Wolves would trade him unless things blow up.

Given that he is the most likely possibility I see, it seems pretty clear that the Cs will focus on internal development. Williams, Williams, Tatum, and Brown will need to be able to hold their own, or they won't. I don't see Danny making a trade he loses just to sure up an area of weakness right now, especially if the player is only marginally better than our young bigs that are sill developing (ie Dedmon, etc.).

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2019, 03:20:31 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think we've all gone up and down the teams in the NBA, wondering about the right fit for this team.

As currently constructed, I don't think a single name mentioned makes sense for this team. We don't have similar contracts invested in similar talent level to make the trades fair. We are either giving up way too much, or the players we want have too high of salary.

If a player was bought out, it might make sense to pick them up (Gasol, Whiteside, etc.), but I don't see another fit for a trade whatsoever, except ...

One player that is not on the list and I don't believe has been mentioned in this thread.

The only player that makes sense to me is Karl Anthony-Towns. I think a package of Smart-Tatum-Theis-Memphis 1st gets the value in the ballpark of what Minny would be looking for (although they may want more). At this point, there is no evidence whatsoever that Towns is trying to get out, and there's no reason the Wolves would trade him unless things blow up.

Given that he is the most likely possibility I see, it seems pretty clear that the Cs will focus on internal development. Williams, Williams, Tatum, and Brown will need to be able to hold their own, or they won't. I don't see Danny making a trade he loses just to sure up an area of weakness right now, especially if the player is only marginally better than our young bigs that are sill developing (ie Dedmon, etc.).

I think Towns is likely a target for Ainge -- a few years down the road.  I don't think it's likely that the Wolves will look to trade him anytime soon.

I agree though that Towns is the most obvious next big name that the Celts might try to get in on.  I suspect that once it  became clear the Celts weren't getting AD, Danny started thinking about the next superstar talent that could eventually be available, and Towns is the most obvious answer (unless you think Giannis will leave Milwaukee in 2021).

Question is whether they will have the assets to go after Towns if and when he does become available, or if they'll have to try to chase him in free agency.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2019, 06:42:56 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

I think Towns is likely a target for Ainge -- a few years down the road.  I don't think it's likely that the Wolves will look to trade him anytime soon.

I agree though that Towns is the most obvious next big name that the Celts might try to get in on.  I suspect that once it  became clear the Celts weren't getting AD, Danny started thinking about the next superstar talent that could eventually be available, and Towns is the most obvious answer (unless you think Giannis will leave Milwaukee in 2021).

Question is whether they will have the assets to go after Towns if and when he does become available, or if they'll have to try to chase him in free agency.

I agree but after what happened with the failed AD pursuit, I'm not getting my hopes up or expecting anything ;)