Author Topic: Rondo's Anti-Gay Tirade Towards Bill Kennedy  (Read 24038 times)

Re: Rondo's Anti-Gay Tirade Towards Bill Kennedy
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2015, 04:46:21 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Disgusting. 1 year ban. He's a glorified role player that isn't worth the headache for any team. We don't need people like this in society and in life.
You sound about the same as what you're describing.

« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2015, 05:08:19 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
My wife and I saw a replay and it looked like he was dropping a lot of f-bombs - the gay-related kind.  Interesting to see that confirmed.  Remember Doc and Kennedy reportedly had beef over Doc making some comments about his sexual orientation too.

« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2015, 05:17:09 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2004
C'mon, cut the guy some slack.  He was visibly angry and frustrated.  Anyone of us is capable of saying anything at those moments.

No slack - not when it comes to straight bigotry like that.  Being angry doesn't justify those types of comments.  What if Bill Kennedy was a white man, and in an enraged response to Rondo's insults replied "F- you (racial slur)".  Would you cut Bill slack?

Big difference.  One had different meanings not long ago and used for any type of person for certain behaviors.  The other stayed thesame, has thesame meaning throughout history, and used towards thesame group of people throughout history.  No ambiguity with one where, aurguably, there is with the other.

The context of a word through history has little relevance when it is used in the manner that Rondo did.  There is no ambiguity when that anti-gay slur is said directly towards a gay man.   It imparts the same negativity as racial slur.  It's meant towards a person belonging to a particular social group, and its only purpose is to degrade.

That's besides your original point, anyhow.  Anger doesn't justify homophobic behavior like that.  It's only socially acceptable among bigots who share the same ignorant sentiments.

« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2015, 05:32:58 PM »

Offline saynomore

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 15
Kings GM Vlade Divac said Rajon Rondo told him today, "He feels bad and didn't mean to offend anyone. It was in the heat of frustration."

WOW  :laugh: Did someone has said one year ban? Are you freaking serious? Is this is the first time when a player has used this kind of language and what's why you so shocked? In fact, do you mean everything seriously whatever you saying meanwhile in the heat of the moment? Okay, whatever! He apologized

« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2015, 05:39:40 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
There are two things I'm not sure I love about it and that is that I'm not sure one has a right to go through life never being called anything bad, especially when doing a terrible job.

The other thing is that I am under the impression AC Green used to routinely get made fun of in game for being a devout Christian and I'm sure Tebow is too, and nobody really cares about that, reinforcing the notion that the league is essentially a pick and choose arbitrary league when it comes to enforcing morality.

However Rondo certainly has no right to go through life like this consequence free either, and it being their league the NBA can do what it sees fit, and protect the image of their league as they see fit.  Personally I don't think this holds a candle to what Sully was accused of, but that's just me.

Have you ever looked around at U.S. professional sports and noticed how many players praise God after winning ball games and making big plays?  I highly doubt that professional athletes get ostracized and treated with bigotry and hatred for being Christian.
Pounding your chest and pointing at the sky doesn't exactly make you Christian any more than having a high pitched voice or wearing pink makes you gay. I will agree to disagree with your assertion.

Honestly, I have no idea what makes one Christian, but I am convinced that Christians aren't a discriminated against group in U.S. professional sports or in general U.S. society for that matter.
Perhaps if you knew what makes one Christian you would think differently. I mean I'm not very aware of black culture and I can say all day I'm sure they aren't a discriminated against group...but I wouldn't do that realistically.

Black people are, and have historically been, a discriminated group in the U.S.  I didn't actually think that was arguable.

Christians have been the dominant religion in our society for a couple of centuries.  Lately, we are becoming a much more secular society than we ever were in the past.

It seems to me that there are people who mistake that secularization as discrimination against Christians.  To me, that's a ludicrous notion, and one that completely misses the point on what discrimination actually entails. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2015, 05:40:50 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Rondo don't pull no punches .........

Maybe the ref incited Rondo talking trash

To sides to every story.

If this was ALL Rondos fault , maybe he would have gotten worse .

Least Rondo di ent knock him out

« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2015, 07:12:53 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1480
Disgusting. 1 year ban. He's a glorified role player that isn't worth the headache for any team. We don't need people like this in society and in life.

really...a 1 year ban? (rolls eyes)

He deserves the 1 or 2 game suspension 100%.  Beyond that there is probably some missing subtext to the outburst as well.  A 1 year ban doesn't seem reasonable for this, especially since there is a precedent already from Kobe's remarks. 

« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2015, 07:20:10 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
C'mon, cut the guy some slack.  He was visibly angry and frustrated.  Anyone of us is capable of saying anything at those moments.

No slack - not when it comes to straight bigotry like that.  Being angry doesn't justify those types of comments.  What if Bill Kennedy was a white man, and in an enraged response to Rondo's insults replied "F- you (racial slur)".  Would you cut Bill slack?

Big difference.  One had different meanings not long ago and used for any type of person for certain behaviors.  The other stayed thesame, has thesame meaning throughout history, and used towards thesame group of people throughout history.  No ambiguity with one where, aurguably, there is with the other.

That's irrelevant.  If the word n----r used to mean something else 50 years ago, would that make it acceptable for a white player to call a black player by it today?  Of course not.  Same goes for any gay slur.  It's not like this is a case of mistaken word definition.  Rondo knew exactly what he was saying.

« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2015, 07:39:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Kings GM Vlade Divac said Rajon Rondo told him today, "He feels bad and didn't mean to offend anyone. It was in the heat of frustration."

"I didn't mean to offend anyone."

That's complete BS. 

What Rondo said went beyond frustration.  It was the verbal equivalent of spitting in Kennedy's face.  Of course he meant to offend.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2015, 07:43:42 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

That's irrelevant.  If the word n----r used to mean something else 50 years ago, would that make it acceptable for a white player to call a black player by it today?  Of course not.  Same goes for any gay slur.  It's not like this is a case of mistaken word definition.  Rondo knew exactly what he was saying.

You are being totally dishonest.  The N word has no other meaning when it's used by a white person.  Get outta here.  It means thesame today as it did 50 yrs ago.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2015, 07:47:11 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

The context of a word through history has little relevance when it is used in the manner that Rondo did.  There is no ambiguity when that anti-gay slur is said directly towards a gay man.   It imparts the same negativity as racial slur.  It's meant towards a person belonging to a particular social group, and its only purpose is to degrade.

That's besides your original point, anyhow.  Anger doesn't justify homophobic behavior like that.  It's only socially acceptable among bigots who share the same ignorant sentiments.

Fair enough. 

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2015, 07:51:39 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

"I didn't mean to offend anyone."

That's complete BS. 

What Rondo said went beyond frustration.  It was the verbal equivalent of spitting in Kennedy's face.  Of course he meant to offend.

Again -- what's the debate? Rondo is an *******. His petulance, ego, and check-myself-in-the-mirror-bravado are his MO. What's new?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2015, 07:57:53 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Devil's advocate here, but did Rondo even know Kennedy was gay?  A lot of his peers didn't seem to know, so I'm not sure that we can assume that Rondo did.  Sure, he called him a gay slur, but he also suggested that Kennedy fornicates with his mother.  He was angry; accuracy probably wasn't his #1 goal.

Kobe got $100k for an abusive gay slur.  Rondo's punishment should be in that range.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2015, 07:58:11 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
Two points:

1) This is a case where politicial correctness IS correct and has the power (thankfully) to elicit an evolved social response.  People shouldn't slur others (my opinion, your right to disagree) and Rondo should be getting the  social consequences he is getting.  People, gay and straight, liberal and conservative, are saying "hey, we aren't going to let gay slurs just happen without a response -- not anymore".  Rondo should get every disapproving look he has coming to him.

2) Beyond general disapproval I don't see the need for suspension. If players typically get a game suspension for verbal assault on a ref, then fine.  Otherwise, no need for a suspension.   Political correctness itself is not the problem.   The problem within political correctness is going to unnecessary extremes to prove how offended we are.   As an American I am definitely bothered by Rondo's insensitivity and his public modeling of 10-year old maturity.   But I am perfectly satisfied for people to simply tell him that we don't do that to people in this culture anymore.

A quick and firm social consequence has been applied -- in my opinion, nothing more is needed. 

To the person who said "any of us are capable of saying anything" -- probably true, but we are responsible for the things that come out of our mouths -- even in anger.   That said, this doesn't make Rondo a terrorist or Hitler.  Hopefully he moves on and doesn't do it again.  How he handles it with the ref, the gay community, and society in general is up to him.

« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2015, 07:59:28 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.nit, Rondo. I was really rooting for him.