Author Topic: Rondo's Anti-Gay Tirade Towards Bill Kennedy  (Read 24040 times)

Re: Rondo's Anti-Gay Tirade Towards Bill Kennedy
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2015, 03:58:04 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Would this have the same outrage if he just told Kennedy that he hated playing with Rudy cause he took so many bad shots?

Huh?

Well it would still be anti-gay but not related to sexual orientation.

Right.  Anti Gay.  Good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJl5eTtQ5aQ

« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2015, 03:59:36 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
There are two things I'm not sure I love about it and that is that I'm not sure one has a right to go through life never being called anything bad, especially when doing a terrible job.

The other thing is that I am under the impression AC Green used to routinely get made fun of in game for being a devout Christian and I'm sure Tebow is too, and nobody really cares about that, reinforcing the notion that the league is essentially a pick and choose arbitrary league when it comes to enforcing morality.

However Rondo certainly has no right to go through life like this consequence free either, and it being their league the NBA can do what it sees fit, and protect the image of their league as they see fit.  Personally I don't think this holds a candle to what Sully was accused of, but that's just me.

Have you ever looked around at U.S. professional sports and noticed how many players praise God after winning ball games and making big plays?  I highly doubt that professional athletes get ostracized and treated with bigotry and hatred for being Christian.
Pounding your chest and pointing at the sky doesn't exactly make you Christian any more than having a high pitched voice or wearing pink makes you gay. I will agree to disagree with your assertion.

Honestly, I have no idea what makes one Christian, but I am convinced that Christians aren't a discriminated against group in U.S. professional sports or in general U.S. society for that matter.
Perhaps if you knew what makes one Christian you would think differently. I mean I'm not very aware of black culture and I can say all day I'm sure they aren't a discriminated against group...but I wouldn't do that realistically.

Here, I'll phrase it differently for him:  I have no idea what you think makes a Christian.  There is a strong tendency among some groups of Christians to declare other self-identified Christians impure and not "true Christians."  The same is definitely true of Islam, and I assume every other major religion.  And heck, since you brought it up, it's also true of African-Americans (see: Jalen Rose calling Grant Hill an "Uncle Tom").  And it was in the past true of whites -- Italians were not universally considered white in America in the early 20th century, for instance.

But that's all beside the point.  There is no discrimination amongst Christians in professional sports I the US.  None.  You can cite Tebow, but frankly, he couldn't play quarterback at the NFL level successfully (the same of many other Heisman quarterbacks who succeeded in large part due to running ability).  He probably could play in the NFL (or could have had a chance) had he tried another position, but he didn't want to.  In that his Christianity might have caused a problem, it was because he was more focused on that than football at times.  Which is his choice, but he was being paid to play football and not be a missionary, and again, his skills weren't good enough to not have his undivided attention.

« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2015, 04:01:16 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
There are two things I'm not sure I love about it and that is that I'm not sure one has a right to go through life never being called anything bad, especially when doing a terrible job.

The other thing is that I am under the impression AC Green used to routinely get made fun of in game for being a devout Christian and I'm sure Tebow is too, and nobody really cares about that, reinforcing the notion that the league is essentially a pick and choose arbitrary league when it comes to enforcing morality.

However Rondo certainly has no right to go through life like this consequence free either, and it being their league the NBA can do what it sees fit, and protect the image of their league as they see fit.  Personally I don't think this holds a candle to what Sully was accused of, but that's just me.

Have you ever looked around at U.S. professional sports and noticed how many players praise God after winning ball games and making big plays?  I highly doubt that professional athletes get ostracized and treated with bigotry and hatred for being Christian.
Pounding your chest and pointing at the sky doesn't exactly make you Christian any more than having a high pitched voice or wearing pink makes you gay. I will agree to disagree with your assertion.

Honestly, I have no idea what makes one Christian, but I am convinced that Christians aren't a discriminated against group in U.S. professional sports or in general U.S. society for that matter.
Perhaps if you knew what makes one Christian you would think differently. I mean I'm not very aware of black culture and I can say all day I'm sure they aren't a discriminated against group...but I wouldn't do that realistically.

Here, I'll phrase it differently for him:  I have no idea what you think makes a Christian.  There is a strong tendency among some groups of Christians to declare other self-identified Christians impure and not "true Christians."  The same is definitely true of Islam, and I assume every other major religion.  And heck, since you brought it up, it's also true of African-Americans (see: Jalen Rose calling Grant Hill an "Uncle Tom").

But that's all beside the point.  There is no discrimination amongst Christians in professional sports I the US.  None.  You can cite Tebow, but frankly, he couldn't play quarterback at the NFL level successfully (the same of many other Heisman quarterbacks who succeeded in large part due to running ability).  He probably could play in the NFL (or could have had a chance) had he tried another position, but he didn't want to.  In that his Christianity might have caused a problem, it was because he was more focused on that than football at times.  Which is his choice, but he was being paid to play football and not be a missionary, and again, his skills weren't good enough to not have his undivided attention.
Tebow is a great example. Did anyone else have an SNL skit of them making fun of their religion? If there was I wasn't aware of it.

« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2015, 04:03:20 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Tebow is a great example. Did anyone else have an SNL skit of them making fun of their religion? If there was I wasn't aware of it.
Making fun of people is still not against the law, especially public figures. Although it is possible that it would be considered a microagression soon.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2015, 04:05:00 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
By the way, just so we're clear, I don't care what industry you work in, if you go off on a co-worker like Rondo did at Kennedy, you're fired.  Period.  And good luck finding another job afterward.

Point being that Rondo got off easy; punishing guys for saying stuff like this isn't just about PR.

The former owner of the clippers says hello.  Really poor message the NBA is sending. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2015, 04:07:18 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

Really, Tebow, the guy who only got as many shots in the NFL as he did because he was such a religious hero, is your example?

Every group faces discrimination, even majority groups. But to suggest that discrimination against gay people in the athletic world only seems more severe than discrimination against Christians in the athletic world because of the league's secular subjectivity is not just wildly ignorant, it's also borderline offensive. When's the last time someone "came out" as a Christian in the NBA?

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2015, 04:15:58 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I'd say you're just not paying close enough attention, but then again, nobody cares if Christian's are discriminated against.

The term "Bible thumper" is a real thing, and is every bit as offensive as any other derogatory term. Yet you never hear anybody being outraged by it.

But none of this has much bearing on what Rondo apparently said. I certainly don't condone his words. Besides the fact it's hateful, being in the public eye means you have to be more careful with your words.

I don't know why religion is being brought up in this thread - no matter how you spin it, religion is a choice, while being gay is not. That is not to justify any type of discrimination or bullying based on religion; that is also totally unacceptable. It just doesn't have anything to do with this particular conversation and the ridiculous words Rondo said.

Hopefully what he said was just out of anger and not a reflection of his personal feelings. Regardless, the punishment doesn't totally fit the crime. I am disappointed in Rondo for going 'there'.

« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2015, 04:16:47 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
a lot of people say very mean things in the heat of the moment . It isn't right , but when you are p---ed off some people tend to say the most hurtful thing they can to get back at that person .

Again it is not right, and shows Rondo's temper, but I am sure a lot of people on this message board have done something similar in the heat of the moment .

Kobe got fined for the same thing a few years ago .

« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2015, 04:16:52 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Making fun of people is still not against the law, especially public figures. Although it is possible that it would be considered a microagression soon.
I don't believe in microagressions. It's like "Nice hair"....omg...it's a microagression

« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2015, 04:24:24 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

There's a difference between being called something bad and being called something racist/homophobic. 

It's one thing to be called something bad like "Those are the worst calls I've ever seen, you suck and are the sh****est ref ever".  While that is still abusive and unacceptable behavior for a grown adult, I find hate speech like what Rondo used to be a different animal and worse, mostly because it comes with a connotation of some type of real and legitimate superiority (usually historically derived) over a marginalized group of people.  A false and unjust connotation that most of society desperately, and justly, wants to reverse.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2015, 04:31:22 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
It does not excuse his behavior at all, but I understand him being mad at him. Bill Kennedy has always been a... not so likable character, and Rondo didn't deserve to be thrown out of that game.

That being said, he should know better than to say that kind of stuff in his position where it will inevitably get out, but, then again, we're talkin about Rajon Rondo!  ;D
Agreed. Bill Kennedy is annoying and an instigator.

But yeah Rondo was ok with hating the man, just not hating him for being gay.

« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2015, 04:31:27 PM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
Disgusting. 1 year ban. He's a glorified role player that isn't worth the headache for any team. We don't need people like this in society and in life.

« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2015, 04:33:34 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
C'mon, cut the guy some slack.  He was visibly angry and frustrated.  Anyone of us is capable of saying anything at those moments.

No slack - not when it comes to straight bigotry like that.  Being angry doesn't justify those types of comments.  What if Bill Kennedy was a white man, and in an enraged response to Rondo's insults replied "F- you (racial slur)".  Would you cut Bill slack?

Big difference.  One had different meanings not long ago and used for any type of person for certain behaviors.  The other stayed thesame, has thesame meaning throughout history, and used towards thesame group of people throughout history.  No ambiguity with one where, aurguably, there is with the other.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 04:41:42 PM by Clench123 »

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2015, 04:43:24 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
a lot of people say very mean things in the heat of the moment . It isn't right , but when you are p---ed off some people tend to say the most hurtful thing they can to get back at that person .

Again it is not right, and shows Rondo's temper, but I am sure a lot of people on this message board have done something similar in the heat of the moment .

Kobe got fined for the same thing a few years ago .
I think you were the closest to getting it right.

Would like to see Rondo apologize and hear him out at this point. He has some explaining to do for sure.

« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2015, 04:45:35 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
AC Green was picked on because he was a virgin, not because he was a Christian.  Maybe a little bit for his gheri curl too!