Author Topic: Rondo's Anti-Gay Tirade Towards Bill Kennedy  (Read 24039 times)

Re: Rondo's Anti-Gay Tirade Towards Bill Kennedy
« Reply #150 on: December 16, 2015, 12:14:15 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Listened to WOJ's new podcast today with Adam Silver on this topic and I thought Silver came off well.

The problem with what Rondo said is that he used a gay slur on someone who he knew was gay. There is a difference between offhandedly using a slur on a random person and using a slur in anger specific to the person you are using it on.

Silver said he considered a heavier punishment because Rondo was using a slur on someone who he knew was gay. However, he didn't want to out Kennedy by giving Rondo a large suspension, since if Rondo got 2 or 3 games people would have realized it was a special circumstance. Kennedy then came out two days after the suspension.
That is just silly.  Either the punishment is worth 2 or 3 games or it is worth more or less.  If he thought it was worth 5 games, he should have given him 5 games.  Period. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #151 on: December 16, 2015, 12:32:07 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
to be honest, I don't see why this is such a big deal

What Rondo said was flat out wrong and unacceptable but he's probably just upset about the officiating and he's already suspended over that action already. I mean come on, we all call our friends that word probably once or twice, we most likely don't mean it. To me, what he said was probably equivalent to him just swearing. Are we living in a world where we have to be so PC that every word we say we have to blow it up bigger than it is? 

He's already suspended, ok let's move on

I more or less agree that Rondo has been punished and we can move on. 

That said, Rondo didn't just "call his friend a word."  Think about it, if you got upset about something that happened in your workplace and you went off on a colleague -- especially a colleague who is kinda sorta higher ranked than you -- wouldn't you expect to get punished for it?  Especially if you used a slur, as Rondo did?

Or put it another way: if you were playing ball in a men's rec league and one of the players on your team got mad and went off on a ref or an opposing player like Rondo did, wouldn't you expect that guy to get kicked out of the league?  Would you want to keep playing with a guy who did that?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #152 on: December 16, 2015, 12:48:44 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
to be honest, I don't see why this is such a big deal

What Rondo said was flat out wrong and unacceptable but he's probably just upset about the officiating and he's already suspended over that action already. I mean come on, we all call our friends that word probably once or twice, we most likely don't mean it. To me, what he said was probably equivalent to him just swearing. Are we living in a world where we have to be so PC that every word we say we have to blow it up bigger than it is? 

He's already suspended, ok let's move on

I more or less agree that Rondo has been punished and we can move on. 

That said, Rondo didn't just "call his friend a word."  Think about it, if you got upset about something that happened in your workplace and you went off on a colleague -- especially a colleague who is kinda sorta higher ranked than you -- wouldn't you expect to get punished for it?  Especially if you used a slur, as Rondo did?

Or put it another way: if you were playing ball in a men's rec league and one of the players on your team got mad and went off on a ref or an opposing player like Rondo did, wouldn't you expect that guy to get kicked out of the league?  Would you want to keep playing with a guy who did that?

yes I agree, if you're going to use a slur in that kind of sense, I do expect you to get punished by it. In which he did. If I went after a co-worker in that kind of sense, I do expect either my manager to speak to me, or HR...get a warning or possibly get fired. Again, we're all human, sometimes we let our anger get in the way but that's inexcusable. Rondo's action were wrong, and again, he got punished for it...what I don't get is why people are continuing to make a big deal out of this, especially this happened 2 weeks ago.

And if this happen in a basketball rec league, yes, the player either needs to get tossed out, or get banned from the league, and that's just the rules, but as a player, yea why not...I'd continue playing with a guy who did that...if a player knows your teammate says things like that and you know him being punished hurts your team, isn't is also your responsibility to hold him back or talk to him? I'm sure the Kings and his teammates addressed Rondo regarding that issue, and I'm sure Rondo and everybody else will move on.

« Reply #153 on: December 16, 2015, 01:02:22 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Rondo's action were wrong, and again, he got punished for it...what I don't get is why people are continuing to make a big deal out of this, especially this happened 2 weeks ago.

We're still talking about it now because most of the real information has only just come out. I remember after it happened I watched either the Spurs or Pelicans game, and Scal at the time said, "Rondo was lucky to only get thrown out of the game."

And I was googling right after to find out what he'd said. We didn't find out definitively until like 2 or 3 days ago. And that's after Bill Kennedy came out publicly.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner