Author Topic: Rumor: Monroe has meetings scheduled with five teams...are we one of them?  (Read 4618 times)

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If Monroe (or Deandre Jordan) went to the Bucks, would that kill any argument that a major free agent won't go to Boston?  How could someone have Milwaukee higher if location and weather are all that matters?

I think it would underscore that while location and $$ matter, the biggest thing for attracting free agents is having other exciting players already on your roster that are regarded as stars or potential stars by their peers in the league.

If a guy like Monroe or DJ goes to Milwaukee, it will be because they have a well-regarded ex-player as their coach and two highly-touted young players who are considered to be stars-in-the-waiting in Parker and Giannis.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
If Monroe (or Deandre Jordan) went to the Bucks, would that kill any argument that a major free agent won't go to Boston?  How could someone have Milwaukee higher if location and weather are all that matters?

I think it would underscore that while location and $$ matter, the biggest thing for attracting free agents is having other exciting players already on your roster that are regarded as stars or potential stars by their peers in the league.

If a guy like Monroe or DJ goes to Milwaukee, it will be because they have a well-regarded ex-player as their coach and two highly-touted young players who are considered to be stars-in-the-waiting in Parker and Giannis.

Ah so like the Celtics but with a coach who's not a former NBA player but is just as regarded.  ;)

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
Greg Monroe: "I’m looking to be with a team that’s ready to win,” said Monroe during a timeout at his youth basketball clinic Saturday morning at the Delgado Community College gymnasium. “Hopefully it will be a team where I’m the missing piece."

http://www.celticslife.com/2015/06/greg-monroe-to-meet-with-celtics.html

The Celtics are the team that's ready to win (among the five that he's interested in: Celtics, NYK, Lakers, Blazers, Bucks), and it will be a team that you are its missing piece. Can play some D, can rebound, and is a big man.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Ah so like the Celtics but with a coach who's not a former NBA player but is just as regarded.  ;)

We've got the coach.  I would disagree that we've got the stars-in-the-waiting.  Even if you think one or two player on the Celts deserve that designation, I don't think that's how they're viewed outside New England (or, largely, inside it).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Greg Monroe: "I’m looking to be with a team that’s ready to win,” said Monroe during a timeout at his youth basketball clinic Saturday morning at the Delgado Community College gymnasium. “Hopefully it will be a team where I’m the missing piece."

The Celtics are the team that's ready to win (among the five that he's interested in: Celtics, NYK, Lakers, Blazers, Bucks), and it will be a team that you are its missing piece. Can play some D, can rebound, and is a big man.

Ready-to-win is more in the Bucks' favor.  But he's going to be no better than #3 there behind Parker and the Greek Freak.  He can come to Boston and be the centerpiece.

Mike

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
My guess is the Bucks young stars have not done quite enough yet to get Monroe there.

* Jabari Parker played only 25 games last year. Only averaged 12 & 5.
* Giannis averaged 12 and 6
* Middleton was at 13ppg

The team struggled mightily in the playoffs. Their top scorers - Giannis, Middleton, Mayo, MCW -- all had TS% between 42% and 48%. Their offense stunk.

I don't think those guys have accomplished enough yet to get a big name player to go to a small market / cold weather city like Milwaukee.

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52

Monroe is what I like to refer to as a treadmill piece. I don't particularly hate his game but he isn't a star. Stars win in this league not role players. He's in the line between the two. A guy who averages 15/10 is hardly trash but he's also hardly a star.

If the Lakers want him then he's going there which should be fine with anyone here. Prime candidate to take the money and run.

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Five teams have shown serious interest — the Boston Celtics, New York Knicks, Milwaukee Bucks, Los Angeles Lakers and Portland Trail Blazers. Monroe said he’ll meet with those teams this week.

http://theadvocate.com/news/neworleans/12769441-148/big-man-greg-monroe-formerly

New Orleans paper where he's from. Wants to get them interested too.