Author Topic: Dwight Howard's post game - where is it now and where will it be?  (Read 8209 times)

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Just trying to get some different opinions on Dwight Howard and his post game.  He has remnants of one (power moves are still post moves) with some decent hook shots around the basket, but his finesse game is still in the infant stages and he doesn't have any trusty post or midrange jumpers. 

What do you think about his post game now, and do you think it will ever match the interior polish of Big Al and midrange polish of KG, Duncan, and now Amare?

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

Re: Dwight Howard's post game - where is it now and where will it be?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 10:33:21 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
haha trying to get some help on if you should draft him or not?
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 10:35:39 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Still debating the Howard vs. CP3 thing, huh?

My thoughts?  Howard is a bull, but a very effective bull.  I don't think he'll ever have a hugely successful mid-range game, but he's not going to need one.  I mean, what was Shaq's?  I think Howard does have the mobility and athleticism, though, to score on just about anybody in the post, and he's going to refine his technique over time.  I mean, right now, Howard gets you 20+ ppg on 60% shooting, while also being the best rebounder in the NBA.  He's only going to get better, and at it's core, I don't care how he scores his points, so long as he scores them.

I don't think he'll ever been able to score in the post with the versatility of Big Al, or have the jump shot of KG or Duncan.  He doesn't need to.  "Versatility" is over-rated; what teams need are results.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 10:36:08 AM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
SShhhhhh!!!  (but yeah... choosing a big is my first inclination, but Paul is so much more polished already that I am having trouble).  Thanks for the opinion Roy.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 10:43:35 AM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.

My thoughts?  Howard is a bull, but a very effective bull.  I don't think he'll ever have a hugely successful mid-range game, but he's not going to need one.  I mean, what was Shaq's?  I think Howard does have the mobility and athleticism, though, to score on just about anybody in the post, and he's going to refine his technique over time.  I mean, right now, Howard gets you 20+ ppg on 60% shooting, while also being the best rebounder in the NBA.  He's only going to get better, and at it's core, I don't care how he scores his points, so long as he scores them.

I don't think he'll ever been able to score in the post with the versatility of Big Al, or have the jump shot of KG or Duncan.  He doesn't need to.  "Versatility" is over-rated; what teams need are results.

Oh, and I absolutely agree with this.  But Howard averaging 20-22 a game based on brute force and athleticism vs. Chris Paul is a debate.... Dwight Howard putting up 27 PPG with brute force and athleticism AND a refined post game is no argument no matter who you put him up against.

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 10:46:57 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
I think Howard eventually gets 25 ppg while leading the league in FG% and rebounding.  To me, if I were starting a team tomorrow, he's the guy I'd take #2, without a doubt.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 10:51:29 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

He's not Shaq, he will eventually develop a midrange game. Lots of players a lot older than him have developed a midrange jumper (Karl Malone being a great example). As far as moves like Al Jefferson that's never going to happen but he doesn't need those moves when he can jump on people.
Now am I just saying this stuff so that you will pick him and I get CP3? Who knows? ;-)

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 10:53:38 AM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
I think Howard eventually gets 25 ppg while leading the league in FG% and rebounding.  To me, if I were starting a team tomorrow, he's the guy I'd take #2, without a doubt.

Yeah, the past 10 minutes has actually made me start leaning in that direction.  Paul is maybe my favorite non-Celtic/Wolf, so my gut reaction at #2 was him.... but I think Howard has more room to improve and being a big is a premium.  Ugh..

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 10:55:41 AM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.

He's not Shaq, he will eventually develop a midrange game. Lots of players a lot older than him have developed a midrange jumper (Karl Malone being a great example). As far as moves like Al Jefferson that's never going to happen but he doesn't need those moves when he can jump on people.
Now am I just saying this stuff so that you will pick him and I get CP3? Who knows? ;-)

So... you wanna swap 2 and 3 then also swap our 2nd round picks?  (Assuming you still have your original 58th overall?)  This decision is that hard, that I'd rather just not make it.

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 11:01:22 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
I'll be happy to take who ever you don't. You have a difficult decision.

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 11:05:03 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Yeah, the past 10 minutes has actually made me start leaning in that direction.  Paul is maybe my favorite non-Celtic/Wolf, so my gut reaction at #2 was him.... but I think Howard has more room to improve and being a big is a premium.  Ugh..

Yep.  I pull that trigger without hesitation.  Look at the track record of NBA teams that have won with a great big man.  That list is extensive.

Now, look at the record of teams that have won when led by a PG who didn't have a HOF big man on his team.  You've got the Bad Boy Pistons (and CP3 actually reminds me of Isiah) but who else?

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 11:13:52 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Stan Van Gundy doesn't feature Dwight heavily enough in his offense. Dwight could do a lot more damage with a few more touches. That's the biggest factor on whether or not his scoring levels increase.

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 11:50:11 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Cp3 is going to look [dang] good running the Nellie Ball system. Except I'm going to force Nellie to teach at least a little bit of defense (by use of an electric collar that goes off everytime he skips the defensive part of practice).

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 12:02:59 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Howard is never going to be much better than he is now. He's not half the player Tim Dunca is now, and he'll never be in the next 5 years at least.

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 12:07:13 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
Howard is never going to be much better than he is now. In the next 10 years, the NBA will be a single-superstar league and that superstar is LeBron James.

He's been improving his points by about 3 per year since he started and is already the top rebounder.  I think he is also going to show a new dedication to the defensive end next season.  Silly to think he can't improve any further.