Author Topic: The next USA team  (Read 7719 times)

The next USA team
« on: August 02, 2008, 10:03:47 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Managing Director Jerry Colangelo wants at least a 3 year commitment so it's hard to see many of this year's squad re-upping for another run through the World Championships and the next Olympics.   For arguments sake let's say the 12 current players on this year's Olympic team does not return for the next Olympics.  Here is my roster for the next 12 to take over.

Rajon Rondo PG
A defensive ace and his jumper should be good enough for the international line
Derek Rose PG
Another defensive ace at the point guard position but more physical than Rondo.
Joe Johnson SG
Could run the offensive if needed and a vet on this team.
Kevin Martin SG
Terrific scorer and 3 point shooter
Brandon Roy SG
Another shooting guard that can run the offensive if they go big.  All around good player.
Rudy Gay SG/SF
Put up very good numbers last year at age 21.  Could be a prime time scorer on this team.
Gerald Wallace SF
A defensive ace at this position and great energy player for this team.
Kevin Durant SG now but could end being a SF or even a PF
Could be the go to player on this team.
Andre Iguodala SF/PF
Could fill the role of James or Anthony and play PF if the team plays small.
Al Jefferson PF
Terrific finisher and rebounder.  Not on this team for his defense.
Al Horford PF/C
Better team player than his teammate Josh Smith.  Insurance for Oden and it's nice to have 2 big Al's on the same team 8)  Some thought he should have won rookie of the year last year.  
Greg Oden C
If he plays close to his potential he is the defensive anchor of this team.

tough omissions
Danny Granger SF
Good athlete and very good 3 point shooter.  Would be a good role player on this team
David West PF
Underrated player but doesn't rebound as well as the 2 PF's ahead of him on this team.  If Horford doesn't improve the way I think he will he could be the replacement.
Rashard Lewis SF
Seems perfectly suited for the international game but may be on the downslope of his career at the next Olympics
Mike Miller SG/SF
See Lewis
Tyson Chandler C
If Oden is a total bust he would be a nice pickup
Josh Smith PF
Has a very unique skill set but was reported to not get along with his coach last year.  If he doesn't mature I wouldn't consider him.
Gilbert Arenas PG
He might be a little too selfish for this team but has the talent.  Not a true point guard so might not be a good fit.
Michael Beasley PF
I have a feeling he will turn out like Derrick Coleman which is not a good sign.  We'll see.
Monta Ellis PG/SG
Not a true point guard and undersized at the 2 spot.  Maybe not the best fit like Arenas.
Caron Butler
If he is playing like the way he is now 4 years from you have to make a spot for him but he will be 32.
OJ Mayo, Kevin Love, and other rookies I need to see more of but need to see more of them to see if they will be good enough to overtake anyone on my list.

Feel free to tear this apart and come up with your own version of the next USA team.

Re: The next USA team
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 04:24:57 PM »

Offline hoopaddict08

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
I think Rodney Stuckey will be on the Olympic team before Rondo will. His is game is just better overall, in my opinion.

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 04:55:28 PM »

Offline dustroia

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
  • Dennis Rodman for HOF
Is Al Horford American enough to compete for Team USA??

IIRC, he was born in the Dominican Republic.

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 06:10:40 PM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 102
Rondo won't make the team, the US team doesn't care about D all about offense. Gerald Wallace and Joe Johnson are too old. Why don't you have Lebron, Melo or Howard, all are still really young even in 4 years.
Boston is the Greatest City in the World !!!

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 06:31:07 PM »

Offline KeepDWest

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 24
Team USA really could have used rondo today - the pg mills for Australia was blowing by chris paul and deron williams . . . rondo led the under 21 team to the title a few years ago in FIBA play .. . i would not be surprised to see him on the team - I could also see them throwing perk on there to bang a few heads
"and when I let them carry me to the cemetary i wanna be buried with a pocketful of clarity" - slug

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 06:35:54 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Didn't they ask Rondo and Perk to come scrimmage against the Olympic team, I don't think they'd do that unless they were considering him for 2012.

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 08:13:46 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
Didn't they ask Rondo and Perk to come scrimmage against the Olympic team, I don't think they'd do that unless they were considering him for 2012.

Yes they were asked to be a part of this year's select team but declined due to the lengthy season they had. 

Team USA really could have used rondo today - the pg mills for Australia was blowing by chris paul and deron williams . . . rondo led the under 21 team to the title a few years ago in FIBA play .. . i would not be surprised to see him on the team - I could also see them throwing perk on there to bang a few heads

I'm surprised Paul has been beaten off the dribble so much.  I've been watching these games and it's been happening too often.  Especially that the international refs allow handchecking more on the perimeter than in NBA you think it wouldn't happen as much.  Most of these games USA has started off really slow in the first quarter which concerns me against veteran teams like Greece, Argentina, and Spain if they allow them to hang around.

I think Rodney Stuckey will be on the Olympic team before Rondo will. His is game is just better overall, in my opinion.

I'm not so sure of that.  He has yet to prove himself a true point guard and doesn't have the outside shooting for a 2 guard in international ball.  (.188% last year from 3 point land).  I think he is a very good combo guard in the NBA but his game might suffer in the international games.

Rondo won't make the team, the US team doesn't care about D all about offense. Gerald Wallace and Joe Johnson are too old. Why don't you have Lebron, Melo or Howard, all are still really young even in 4 years.

I think the USA staff cares very much about defense.   Chris Bosh has received more playing time than Boozer and even Howard at times because he is more mobile to defend international big man who like to play outside.  Kobe has been dubbed the Doberman and has made a big effort on defense during these games.  I doubt Prince is on this team because of his offense.  They have been attempting to really pressure the other team which is why you have seen several breakaway dunks most of which seem to be by Lebron and Wade.  Wallace and Johnson will not be too old.  By the time the next Olympics roll around they both will be 30 and still in the prime of their careers and maybe eager for a gold medal.  I don't have Lebron, Melo, or Howard as in the beginning of my initial post I stated how USA basketball is looking for a 3 year commitment now in the summers leading up to the Olympics and it may be hard to ask these guys to do that again especially if they win the gold this time around.  For argument's sake I just left those guys out and came up with a completely new roster. 
Is Al Horford American enough to compete for Team USA??

IIRC, he was born in the Dominican Republic.

Your right.  He may not be able to qualify.  I'll take David West in his place then. 

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 11:09:24 PM »

Offline hoopaddict08

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
Entering his second season, Rodney Stuckey should improve immensely. He is indeed a combo guard, but Detroit is committed to improving him as a point guard behind Chauncey or if they trade Chauncey, as a starting point. I don't believe his stats tell the whole truth. Especially with him missing the beginning of his rookie season, he was more comfortable with his mid-range shot towards the end as well as behind the arc. Not to mention, the NBA three point line is almost four feet further from the basket than in international basketball. Basically, I just think he would be more appealing than Rondo, no offense to Rondo and all. During two USA games I've heard, the announcers were talking about how impressed they were with Stuckey during the scrimmages with Team USA, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing for Team USA one day.

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 12:51:45 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I know he might be a little old by then and somewhat of head case... actually, a real head case, but Ron Artest would be perfect on a USA team (for playing purposes only, not negative media).  He's a defensive lock down player that can shoot decently and rebound.  Also, he'd have that aggressive fire that team USA needs (rather than the whole "All Star" game thing).
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 07:18:11 AM »

Offline Rondoholic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
No way Gerald Wallace ever suits up for Team USA.  Iguodala is a much better player and does all of the same things.  Wallace can NOT shoot and that is something that you cannot have from your SF in international play. Plus, Team USA likes to have clean cut guys for their defensive role player guys (see: Tayshaun Prince and Shane Battier). 

PS, as was already mentioned, is Al Horford even technically American?

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 07:43:19 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I believe Horford would be considered Dominican.  He was born there, but I'm sure if he wanted to he could play for the American team, although I'm not sure he would.
do it

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 07:57:30 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156

I think you're from Detriot
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 08:50:45 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
No way Gerald Wallace ever suits up for Team USA.  Iguodala is a much better player and does all of the same things.  Wallace can NOT shoot and that is something that you cannot have from your SF in international play. Plus, Team USA likes to have clean cut guys for their defensive role player guys (see: Tayshaun Prince and Shane Battier). 

PS, as was already mentioned, is Al Horford even technically American?

I already have Iggy on the team.   I give you that Wallace is not a good 3 pt shooter although he has improved in that area the last couple years and is right on par with Iguodala's 3 pt percentage.  Yes I would take Iguodala over him as well if I had to choose between the 2.   Is Wallace really that much of a head case?   I've heard KG loves him as a player.  Maybe someone like Danny Granger would be a better fit.  If Horford is a no go then maybe someone like David West.

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 10:08:33 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I find it hard to believe that you dismiss the likes of OJ Mayo, Michael Beasley, Kevin Love and other draftees this year but are so set in your ways on Derrick Rose. I think physically and talent wise he is a much bigger question than Beasley or Mayo and I think Chicago is due for a big surprise when they see Mayo and Beasley adapt to the NBA game so easily and in the meantime watch Rose struggle.

Unlike our new friend from Detroit, I don't think Stuckey would be a better fit for the team than Rondo, but if Paul and Williams don't return Stuckey would definitely make it over Rose, IMO.

And why are you dismissing very young players of this year's team. LeBron, Bosh, Williams, Paul and Howard would be near guarantees to return, IMO. They are all still very young and the commitment in non Olympic years isn't nearly as taxing. I think you are jumping to a bad conclusion ruling them out.

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 08:22:55 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
I find it hard to believe that you dismiss the likes of OJ Mayo, Michael Beasley, Kevin Love and other draftees this year but are so set in your ways on Derrick Rose. I think physically and talent wise he is a much bigger question than Beasley or Mayo and I think Chicago is due for a big surprise when they see Mayo and Beasley adapt to the NBA game so easily and in the meantime watch Rose struggle.

Unlike our new friend from Detroit, I don't think Stuckey would be a better fit for the team than Rondo, but if Paul and Williams don't return Stuckey would definitely make it over Rose, IMO.

And why are you dismissing very young players of this year's team. LeBron, Bosh, Williams, Paul and Howard would be near guarantees to return, IMO. They are all still very young and the commitment in non Olympic years isn't nearly as taxing. I think you are jumping to a bad conclusion ruling them out.

I think the major difference though is that each summer leading up to this Olympics they had gone through a training camp to go along with the tournaments they played in last 2 summers.   It's much different than say in 92 and 96 where basically Pippen and others who played in back to back Olympics just had to show up for a couple practices almost before the games began.  Another major point is before the team would be announced roughly a year before the Olympics started whereas now if you haven't been a part of the 3 year commitment the chances of you joining the team for the Olympics go down slightly.   These guys like you mentioned like Wade, Lebron, and Anthony have spent a good portion of their offseason the last 3 years committing to this team ( I think the World Championships could very easily be just as taxing as the Olympics and I think last year's qualifying tournament in the tournament of the Americas was close).   To ask them to do it again is not a given they would say yes (especially if you take into account things we don't think of much for example if they have a young family and want to stay home in the offseason) and maybe more likely for 1st timers to say yes.   That's why my premise is to just rule them out for now for 1) It makes it more interesting on this thread trying to figure out the next team 2) Like I said it's not an automatic they return.  GM's paying these guys millions of dollars may be leary of letting these guys go through another 3 years of this for example Cuban isn't a big fan of letting Dirk play.

For the 3 rookies you mentioned Beasley he is a great talent but until he proves to me he is more than another Derrick Coleman with subpar defense I'm leaving him off.  Putting up great college numbers such as what Glenn Robinson did doesn't always mean your going to be a great pro player so he has to prove it to me.  OJ Mayo could be a very good if not great player in the NBA but his type of play not really a point guard and not really a long distance shooting guard can struggle in international play.   I need to see more of Love but from what I saw of him in the summer league he struggled a bit with defense and he may be more of a high post player than low post player as of now.  Not sure the USA team is looking for someone like that.  Maybe he is more of a candidate for 2016 when he will still be in his late 20s.  If he can put close to 20 and 10 like his teammate Jefferson I would have to consider him though.  It's just one man's opinion but I feel real iffy putting these guys ahead of who I selected and I stress as of now not that they aren't capable of surpassing them.  I feel comfortable with the guys I selected before these 3 at their respective positions until these guys prove me otherwise.  Looking back I might change Granger instead of Wallace (much better 3 point shooter) and West in place of Horford knowing he is Dominican.  Derrick Rose though in my opinion I already feel comfortable saying his style is better suited for international play.  For one looking down the list there aren't many young talented traditional point guards after Paul and Williams so he already has a leg up on his fellow 3 rookies and among other rookies of making the team.  It's a very important position for international play and if you don't have the right PG no matter the surrounding talent the chances are your going to struggle.  (see 2002 team).  2 I feel very comfortable with his defense which I'm not so sure of as of yet with the other 3.   3 yes you may be right that Beasley and Mayo will have better rookie seasons but most point guards struggle somewhat in their first year or 2 (see Paul).   In the end though it's just difficult to add several rookies as of now to the team without seeing them play a single regular season game.  A year from now it could be a different story with maybe someone I haven't thought of like Anthony Randolph you would have to consider and the decision to come up with a team would be a little bit easier after seeing these rookies play a year.   Maybe we could revisit this topic a year from now and see what changes.