Author Topic: Ron Artest continues to be an embarassment  (Read 13745 times)

Ron Artest continues to be an embarassment
« on: July 31, 2008, 12:14:39 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
The potential Ron Artest to the Houston Rockets trade may have gotten off on the wrong foot over comments made by Artest's potential teammate, Yao Ming, about Artest's stormy past.
"Hopefully, he's not fighting anymore and going after a guy in the stands," Yao said, according to the Chronicle.

When asked about those comments, Artest said Yao had bought into "all the propaganda" about him, according to The Sacramento Bee.

"I understand what Yao said, but I'm still ghetto," Artest said, according to the report. "That's not going to change. I'm never going to change my culture. Yao has played with a lot of black players, but I don't think he's ever played with a black player that really represents his culture as much as I represent my culture. Once Yao Ming gets to know me, he'll understand what I'm about.

"If you go back to the brawl, that's a culture issue right there," Artest added, according to the report. "Somebody was disrespecting me, so he's got to understand where I'm coming from. People that know me know that Ron Artest never changed."

Link.

What an embarrassment.  There are millions of African-Americans who would be offended to hear Ron Artest try to speak for them and what their "culture" is.  To label fighting / brawling as a cultural norm of black people is, to me, offensive.  Ron Artest is a thug, as demonstrated by the brawl, the allegations of animal abuse / malnourishment, and the domestic violence directed towards his girlfriend.  Those are Ron Artest issues, not "black" issues.

I'm sure the Rockets are glad to hear that Artest has no regrets.

And yes, this probably touches on some political issues, but since it's sports related, I have no problem discussing this.  Just please tread lightly, and avoid rhetoric at all costs.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Ron Artest continues to be an embarassment
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 12:22:05 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Artest should do standup. This is hilarious.

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 12:22:20 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Wow, he's a bigger idiot than I thought.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 12:31:02 PM »

Offline huzy

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • We not Me
When this trade first went down, there were immediate comparisons to the Celtics.

Ron Ron even made reference to it syaing something along the lines of "Boston really took the league by storm with their Big 3. Now we have ours..."

There's one HUGE difference. He will never defer to anyone the way Ray and Kevin did, which was such a key to our success.

For Artest, it's still the "Ron-Ron show", meaning that he'll never be a part of a cohesive unit. he constantly feels the need to assert himself and can't resist the urge to make the next incendiary remark. 

I am confident that his experience in Houston will be just another wasted opportunity in the career a wasted potential.
"      “I can make a trade every day if I want to, but that's not going to help us. A trade that would get us better rarely comes along. They're very difficult to find. Good trades are very difficult in our league and don't happen very often.”
-Danny Ainge

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 12:34:00 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
When this trade first went down, there were immediate comparisons to the Celtics.

Ron Ron even made reference to it syaing something along the lines of "Boston really took the league by storm with their Big 3. Now we have ours..."

There's one HUGE difference. He will never defer to anyone the way Ray and Kevin did, which was such a key to our success.

For Artest, it's still the "Ron-Ron show", meaning that he'll never be a part of a cohesive unit. he constantly feels the need to assert himself and can't resist the urge to make the next incendiary remark. 

I am confident that his experience in Houston will be just another wasted opportunity in the career a wasted potential.

Yeah, when the trade was announced, I thought Houston had to make the gamble, and convinced myself that Artest could behave for at least a year.

Already, Artest is talking about how he isn't going to change, and how he wants the Rockets to make a "commitment" to him.  This certainly isn't a great start to the Ron Artest era (which will probably last all of one season).

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 12:35:18 PM »

Offline Celtic_E

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
Ron Artest is the biggest embarassment in the NBA. What kind of sane person would ever make a statement like that? Since when does beating up people be classified as a cultural thing? Where is this guy living, the Medieval Age? This guy has some serious issues in his head and I don't think the league has a place for players like these. This guy is just plain nuts and statements like these are just making his already bad reputation a lot more worse.  

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 12:36:01 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Honestly I like Artest as a basketball player. I really think he's going to help out Houston and would have been a great addition to the Celts for a year.

Thou every time he opens his mouth he shows you how retarded he is.

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 12:38:43 PM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
Why is anybody surprised by anything this brain-dead idiot says?

The self-proclaimed tanker O'Grady along with boneheads Alston, Francis, and now the lovely and gracious Artest....The Denver Thuggets of Houston.

Artest should join Anthony and Kidd on the olympic team....They're playing ghetto ball so Artest would fit right in.

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 12:41:13 PM »

Offline jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
I am sure this makes Yao more relaxed.  ::)

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 12:45:02 PM »

Offline Shiz1111

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 22
TP Roy...this guy is ridiculous

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 12:48:31 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Somewhat unrelated, but any journalist who said that about Artest would be fired that same day.

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 12:51:00 PM »

Offline Celtic_E

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10

Yeah, when the trade was announced, I thought Houston had to make the gamble, and convinced myself that Artest could behave for at least a year.

Already, Artest is talking about how he isn't going to change, and how he wants the Rockets to make a "commitment" to him.  This certainly isn't a great start to the Ron Artest era (which will probably last all of one season).

The only commitment the Rockets should ever give to him is a one-way ticket to the Psych ward. Man, am I glad he didn't end up anywhere near the Celtics. This idiot hasn't even played a single second with the Rockets and yet he has the gall to "demand" a commitment from his new team? The only things Artest proved in his career so far is that he only cares for himself and that he will never ever grasp the meaning of team basketball. Statements like these make me wish he ended up with the Lakers instead so that he could give them another taste of Rodman, only 10x crazier. By the way, how did Rodman's tour of duty with the Lakers end exactly?  ;D

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 12:54:22 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Besides the Artest statements, take a good look at what Yao said about him.  Wow. It's obvious that the big man is not too thrilled about this move.  The comments from Crazy Ron only make it worse.

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 12:55:17 PM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
Ron Artest is the biggest embarassment in the NBA.

I don't even know if he makes the top 5

-The thugster has a much longer criminal record than Artest and is an equally accomplished racist brain-dead rap "artist"

-Anthony promotes the non reporting of violent crimes and is a much more accomplished driver than Artest.

-Kidd seems to have a real affectionate streak with women and a tendency to not give his best effort.

-Tank Carter bragged about tanking to force a trade.  At least Artest gives maximum effort no matter what uniform he's wearing.

-Tracy O'Grady bragged about tanking to force a trade.  At least Artest gives maximum effort no matter who's uniform he's wearing.

-Jermaine O'Neal plays when he feels like it and embarasses himself and the NBA every time he spouts his racist opinions on the NBA.

-Artest is about half as much an embarassment as the NBA's fraudulent officiating has become.

-Zach Randolph is the Pacman Jones of the NBA.

-Isiah Thomas, anyone?

I guess Artest makes the top 10

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 12:56:43 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I think my favroite part is how he says yao brougth into the propaganda.

what propaganda Ron? you got hit with a freaking plastic cup and went into the stands to hunt down a fan, and decked him on national television. Thats not called propoganda, thats called, ya know FACTS.

Not that i should have expected him to know the defination of the word, i mean, that would conflict with the "getto style" he brings. I'm sure this calms all the rockets fears.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion