Author Topic: Little Love for Big Baby  (Read 3570 times)

Little Love for Big Baby
« on: May 14, 2008, 11:18:36 PM »

Offline Tommy Gun

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
Big Baby played a great 10 minutes or so and had a great impact 6 points some hustle a nice pass..Good D some nice picks. Just what the Doctor prescribed

He contribution should not be over looked
See, this is why I'm not allowed to announce NBA games -- I'd be talking in the Cookie Monster voice right now:

Ahhhhhhhhhh ... my knee hurts ... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh ... me don't like when my knee hurts ...

Re: Little Love for Big Baby
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 11:21:50 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Hell yeh!  And even the staunchest Doc supporters had to be saying "What are doing bringing him in - AGAIN"?

Some major enthusiasm from Big Baby

Pretty much the whole team had that "hop" back in their step.
Yup

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 11:24:02 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
Big Baby played a great 10 minutes or so and had a great impact 6 points some hustle a nice pass..Good D some nice picks. Just what the Doctor prescribed

He contribution should not be over looked

TP.

he did what he did all season. great rebounding. clears the paint. passes well. and has good hands.

now all we have to add is House and i think we can win this thing in CLE...

spark plugs off the bench can put teams over the top in the playoffs.....

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 11:38:07 PM »

Offline MaineBleedsGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
i was definately saying "what the ..." when baby got in. nice job though tonight.

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 08:17:20 AM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Absolutely.
I wasn't going to post here, but it's nice to be positive sometimes, so why not?
Big Baby was great. I've loved him all year, but in his case I might share Doc's reluctance to use him too much. Lately he's seemed to lose his confidence, or maybe hit a wall, or perhaps I just overrated him, but he brings so much and is a joy to watch.

The great thing about Davis (I know I'm being a typical Boston fan here and probably overrating a young player) he doesn't really need to improve much to be a very good player. If all he does next year is cut down on the mistakes, he can be a force. Love his hands, passing, inside moves(too bad he's not 3" taller though), hustle, good shooting touch, and again- he's just plain fun to watch- and this is not life or death, it's entertainment.

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 08:23:07 AM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I love Big Baby and Leon Powe game.  Last night Big Baby came in and did his job.  This is once again proof that it's not about the coach. It's about the players going out and doing their job.  You go out and produce you make it easy for the coach to keep you in the game and make him look good.  Good job Big Baby you came in and did your job.

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 08:28:50 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Of  course its about the coach.  He decides when BBD plays and when he doesn't.  You can't perform from the bench.
The fact is that Rivers has screwed up his rotations royally in these playoffs and only last night, when faced with an ignominious home defeat, did he finally figure something out in the second half.  It shouldn't have taken that long.

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 08:30:06 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I love Big Baby and Leon Powe game.  Last night Big Baby came in and did his job.  This is once again proof that it's not about the coach. It's about the players going out and doing their job.  You go out and produce you make it easy for the coach to keep you in the game and make him look good.  Good job Big Baby you came in and did your job.

I disagree.  It is about the coach.  The players too, of course, but the coach has a big impact too.  One only needs to look at how Doc played Cassell even though he was struggling in this series... way too much, reducing Rondo's minutes.... that's on coaching.  Good thing he corrected it last night and gave Cassell very little minutes, and giving Rondo the bulk of the minutes.

On to Baby.  He was great last night.  He seems to always respond in a big game when called upon.  Good job by Baby last night... just what the Celtics needed.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 08:35:01 AM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
Of  course its about the coach.  He decides when BBD plays and when he doesn't.  You can't perform from the bench.
The fact is that Rivers has screwed up his rotations royally in these playoffs and only last night, when faced with an ignominious home defeat, did he finally figure something out in the second half.  It shouldn't have taken that long.

Was this the first time in the series that Davis got his number called?  NO! This was just the first time that Davis got his number called and he did something with it.  I think Davis made Doc's job easy by hitting an early basketball when he got into the game.  It's about taking advantage of the chance your given.  Your right the coach decides who plays and who doesn't.  But it's the players, play of the court that decides how long he plays.  So when it comes down to it, it really about the players going out and doing their job.  Rondo, KG, Big Baby, Paul and even Ray Allen all went out and made plays.

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 08:42:48 AM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown

I disagree.  It is about the coach.  The players too, of course, but the coach has a big impact too.  One only needs to look at how Doc played Cassell even though he was struggling in this series... way too much, reducing Rondo's minutes.... that's on coaching.  Good thing he corrected it last night and gave Cassell very little minutes, and giving Rondo the bulk of the minutes.

On to Baby.  He was great last night.  He seems to always respond in a big game when called upon.  Good job by Baby last night... just what the Celtics needed.

I'll say this with a veteran like Cassell any coach is going to give him a chance to find his way out of the struggles he may be going through.  With a first or second year player your not going to afforded that same chance.  Doc said last night if Rondo was to struggle he was going to put Eddie House in the game.  Rondo played his butt off and Doc would have been a fool to take Rondo out of the game.  The same with Big Baby he played well so he stayed in the game if he did't he would have been out in two minutes.  Then we all would have said why did Doc put Big Baby on the court for only two minutes? It's all about player production.

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 09:00:04 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
The reason BBD produced last night is that he was on the floor with Garnett and the regulars, not with Cassell and the rest of the bench.  With Cassell, no one else gets to touch the ball, so it's kind of hard to be an offensive threat.

BBD's defense has been excellent in this series in the limited minutes he's been allowed to play, so that's not an issue.

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 09:02:36 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
How about a lot of love for Big Baby!!

I can't say as I blame Doc for putting BBD in for the last two games in the second half. he had to give Davis Powe's second half minutes because Powe has been a non-factor in the first half of both games 4 and 5.

These Leon combined game 4 and 5 stats don't lie. 10 minutes, 2 points, 1 rebound, and a big zero in every other stat is just not what we are used to seeing from Leon. It he wasn't doing his usual stellar job on the defensive end of the court either.

Doc almost had to give Baby Leon's second half minutes over the last two games. If Baby does nothing like he did in game 4, so what, Leon looked as if he was going to do the same thing. But if Baby produced, like he did last night, then at least we're getting something off the bench. Because Leon just wasn't giving the team anything.

3 points off the bench last night besides Baby's 6 is just embarassing.