Author Topic: Time For the Stars To Shine!  (Read 12261 times)

Time For the Stars To Shine!
« on: April 30, 2008, 02:18:08 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I had an epiphany tonight, (a very rare occurrance), and the catalyst had a most unexpected source: I'm watching the TNT wrap-up ... I really am not crazy about Charles Barkley, and most of what he says about the C's is generally negative. But I actually agreed with his statements tonight, stating that none of the "Big Three" have really stepped up and put their imprint on a game yet, and they need to. He's absolutely right ... this is the playoffs, and these guys are superstars. "Stepping up" and taking over a game is what we pay them for, it's what a superstar is expected to do, required to do, especially when up against a wall, or in the all-important post-season. They haven't done it yet, and it's time.

Maybe they've bought into the "team concept" so deeply, that they've forgotten that they're individual players, with special talents, and more importantly, special and unique motivational abilities. Don't get me worng, I LOVE the team spirit and coordination that this group has ... it's really quite special, and is a rare thing to see these days. But being a "star" means that you're a very special part of this unit, a part unto itself, that has the incredible elements required to dominate a game, and provide the leadership and spark needed to give the rest of the team direction and confidence.

No matter how closely "We Not Me" is followed and made the focus of your team's energies, someone still needs to LEAD ... someone has to step up and set the standard, provide direction, and instill CONFIDENCE into the rest. I think they may have forgotten this just a bit, in their, (quite admirable), efforts to produce a true, functioning, cohesive UNIT. Of all the elements that went into these past two losses, that seems to me to have been the common threads: lack of leadership, direction and confidence ... the things that we look to a superstar to provide.

Despite my many reservations about most of what Chuck says, he really nailed this one. We've got three-plus guys who have these qualities, and it seems like each one is waiting for one of the others to make the move. The waiting's over ... at least one of them has got to be "the man" ... whatever that means or however it's defined. One of our stars needs to be just that: a STAR. One of these amazingly talented athletes, who have spent the regular season proving that they can be part of a successful team, now needs to prove that they can be the star we hired them to be ... the leader that this unit is begging and poised to rally behind. They need to set the standard, instill the confidence, and light the way to the championship they've worked so hard to attain.

I absolutely love "We Not Me" ... I am probably one of the biggest proponents of the team ethic, and the power of a cohesive functioning "posse". But the time has come, for the sake of themselves and their team-mates, for one or more of our heroes to take on that mantle ... to be the superstar that we believe in, that their team believes in, and show us all the path to success. The team is there, behind them, and there's no longer a need to focus on that unit exclusively ... they'll be ready, to back them up and provide the meat to this victory sandwhich. It's time for one or more of our champions to prove that they're worthy of the moniker. It's time to be the leader, the star, the hero, and the ultimate warrior.

It's TIME ... time to put the "I" in "UNIT"!

Go Celtics!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

Re: Time For the Stars To Shine!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 07:01:00 AM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Well IMO that would be PP. He's used to doing it and has all the tools and the cajones.
KG, for all his talent and ferocity, isn't at his best when he tries to force it inside. I'm not so sure he should be trying to "take it to the hoop" any more than usual just because it's the playoffs.
I honestly don't know what to think of Ray Allen, as far as being "the man" in big games. He does have great moves to the basket and is obviously a tremendous shooter, but I'd rather he be the second option, not controlling the game.
Maybe Rondo should be more assertive on offense- though it's scary to see him drive knowing the opponent will just slam him to the floor every time and sometimes not even be called for a foul!

Anyway, if PP is not actually hurt, he's the guy.

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 07:16:33 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I think both PP and KG needs to step up (although I think PP might still be hurt).  KG does need to get his butt in the post.  There is no one on the Hawks who could stop him without fouling him and he needs to get to the line more anyway.  He needs to stop shying away from contact and get his butt in the post.  This is the playoffs for goodness sakes!

I do think that PP's back is probably still bothering him, but he did say he was fine (though I think the C's might be trying to keep the injury quiet).  He still needs to get to go to the hoop and get to the line, especially when the offense isn't running smoothly.  And hit the darn free throws!

Perk too.  He just needs to keep rebounding and defending the paint.  And stop bringing the ball down when you have an easy score!
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 08:28:31 AM »

Offline Petro

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 6
Paul is the guy as Celtics Fans we have seen him do it time and time again the problem is I really don't think he's healthy enough to sustain an overwhelming game.I think he can do it in spurts and spots but with the physicall play in the playoffs I don't know.They have to find a way to get easy baskets in a way nobody has really talked about is Josh Smith's shot blocking ability has got into thier heads and that's why they have been missing easy shots especially in game 4. They need to go to the basket get to the FT line and continously attack even if Smith gets 10 blks keep going to the basket they(hawks) don't have the Big bodies under the basket.

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 08:52:48 AM »

Offline MVPPierceNoJoke

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
We need Paul to step up, but he can't unless everyone is doing there job. He needs the spacing and the right mindset. Screw the shooting 6 three's a  Pierce and how about a fourteen free throw game from him. That is what he needs to do.
The whole team just needs to stop turning the ball over in the fourth and they need to start forcing the turnovers when it counts. Ray needs to allow Pierce/Kg to create him shots. Rondo needs to have %100 confidence and not rush. KG just needs to be KG and be consistent the whole game.

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 09:31:29 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
This is KG's series to dominate.  The Hawks are not equipped to handle KG in the low post.  The offense should be planned around that idea.

This is Pierce's series to shine on defense.  Put him on Joe Johnson from the begining.  Let him take Johnson out of the Atlanta offensive plan. 

Marvin Williams will be able to take advantage of Ray one on one, but I don't think he is good enough to change the course of the game that way. 

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 10:30:27 AM »

Offline tanner

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 33
celts could also do a better job finding and feeding the hot hand.  last game ray was the hot hand yet KG and even rondo took (and missed) more shots than ray.  it's frustrating seeing KG take one jumpshot after another and not getting to the line as needed.  PP too, who's become infatuated taking three's. 

c'mon guys, you can do much, much better than this.  i'd like to see that KG who dominated the detroit bigs (including rasheed) in the paint.  where's that complete paul pierce we've seen all season long? that paul who carried the team over a win in utah going to the free throw line?     

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 10:35:26 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
  it's frustrating seeing KG take one jumpshot after another and not getting to the line as needed.  PP too, who's become infatuated taking three's. 

c'mon guys, you can do much, much better than this.  i'd like to see that KG who dominated the detroit bigs (including rasheed) in the paint.  where's that complete paul pierce we've seen all season long? that paul who carried the team over a win in utah going to the free throw line?     

That's been one of my concerns about this team all season long.  Jump shooting teams never win much in the playoffs -- and we have too many jump shooters.  They have to win with their defense -- that should be their first, second and third focus tonight and for the rest of the playoffs.

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 10:42:18 AM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
This is KG's series to dominate.  The Hawks are not equipped to handle KG in the low post.  The offense should be planned around that idea.

This is Pierce's series to shine on defense.  Put him on Joe Johnson from the begining.  Let him take Johnson out of the Atlanta offensive plan. 

Marvin Williams will be able to take advantage of Ray one on one, but I don't think he is good enough to change the course of the game that way. 
I agree with you totally.I was thinking almost the same ideas.Right from the start,it was obvious,the Hawkes didnt have an answer to contain KG.We exploited it for awhile,then went away from it.Also,after the last game,i thought about Paul being longer,and stronger than Ray,and can play good D,when he puts his mind to it.TP for you.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:15:34 AM by jay_jay54 »

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 10:57:33 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
celts could also do a better job finding and feeding the hot hand.  last game ray was the hot hand yet KG and even rondo took (and missed) more shots than ray.  it's frustrating seeing KG take one jumpshot after another and not getting to the line as needed.  PP too, who's become infatuated taking three's. 

I actually thought KG did a good job in the 4th of not settling for jump shots and taking it to the basket.  The only problem was the ball just wasn't going in.  But I agree that Ray should've been found more.  There should've been more screens set for him coming off the ball, rather than after he already had it.

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 11:02:13 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald

I actually thought KG did a good job in the 4th of not settling for jump shots and taking it to the basket.  The only problem was the ball just wasn't going in.  But I agree that Ray should've been found more.  There should've been more screens set for him coming off the ball, rather than after he already had it.

A couple of his misses might have been converted into baskets if Perk had actually tried crashing the boards instead of watching.  That's why he's in there and he was nowhere to be found at crunch time in that game.

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 11:05:27 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

A couple of his misses might have been converted into baskets if Perk had actually tried crashing the boards instead of watching.  That's why he's in there and he was nowhere to be found at crunch time in that game.

Perkins grabbed 9 rebounds in 25 minutes this game.  Maybe if he was used more in the 2nd half, the Celtics rebounding would have been better.

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 11:06:59 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

I agree about the KG part.  Lets see him attack the basket for 4 quarters instead of just crunch time.  As wdleehi stated earlier, this is KG's series to dominate.  They can't stop him down low and if they do, he'll go to the line.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 11:09:44 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald

Perkins grabbed 9 rebounds in 25 minutes this game.  Maybe if he was used more in the 2nd half, the Celtics rebounding would have been better.

He was out there the last 3 minutes and on at least two offensive misses he was nowhere near the basket and at least twice allowed the Hawks to get key offensive rebounds down the other end during the same period.

He was one of the big reasons they blew the game.

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 11:12:12 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

He was out there the last 3 minutes and on at least two offensive misses he was nowhere near the basket and at least twice allowed the Hawks to get key offensive rebounds down the other end during the same period.

He was one of the big reasons they blew the game.

Because he is the only one that can grab a defensive rebound? 

Because he is constantly pulled away (like KG) from the basket as a help defender? 

The Celtics were already down when he was put back in.  They had already blown a 10 point lead in the 4th.  Kind of hard to blame it on him.