Author Topic: Reports: Pelicans will never trade Davis to the Lakers  (Read 10244 times)

Re: Reports: Pelicans will never trade Davis to the Lakers
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2019, 04:11:12 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
https://www.celticsblog.com/2019/2/25/18239490/boston-celtics-jayson-tatum-impressed-anthony-davis-and-other-links-quotes

Interesting article above imo. Playing with Tatum might be a condition of AD signing long term in Boston

The packages proposed here for a one year guarantee are way above what George and Butler went for

Smart, 4x picks and yabu for filler imo, Orr snt Morris, add baynes and Smart plus the picks. That’s 3 likely starters plus 4 cost controlled contract, more than enough

Emphasis on might. Even AD knows that Tatum would be the centerpiece of the trade. There is no way we're getting AD without either Grizz+Kings+ 1 pick/trade asset and Brown/Smart or a combo of trade-fillers, or Tatum+ whoever it takes.

Also George/Butler isn't nowhere in the same stratosphere as AD. While George may be having an MVP-like season, I would still take the dominant two way big man over George.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2019, 04:18:03 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
https://www.celticsblog.com/2019/2/25/18239490/boston-celtics-jayson-tatum-impressed-anthony-davis-and-other-links-quotes

Interesting article above imo. Playing with Tatum might be a condition of AD signing long term in Boston

The packages proposed here for a one year guarantee are way above what George and Butler went for

Smart, 4x picks and yabu for filler imo, Orr snt Morris, add baynes and Smart plus the picks. That’s 3 likely starters plus 4 cost controlled contract, more than enough
George was traded for Oladipo and Sabonis.  While Tatum might someday be as good or better than Oladipo, he isn't at this point and may never be.  Now Tatum is a better prospect than Saric and Covington, but that isn't exactly the same situation given Butler wasn't in Minnesota very long and was burning bridges like crazy.

In addition, neither George nor Butler is as good as Davis.  Not even close.

But it's not about what Oladipo has turned into. It's about what he was when he was traded for. For OKC, he averaged 15.9/2.6ast/4.3 reb on 44/36/75 splits. Not bad at all, but not exactly a world beater. Granted he has flourished into a star after the trade, and I'm sure it's hard for guards to play next to WB, but his current state is meaningless when looking at the circumstances of that PG trade.

I agree that Tatum has a good chance to never be Dipo's level (just to make that clear. )
#JKJB

« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2019, 05:35:01 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Or just trade Hayward and Tatum and a some of picks for davis and moore

Irving
Smart
Brown
Horford
Davis

Done and championship please

That's a good team, but we're better with Hayward.  Maybe he never fully recovers, but if he does a lot of folks will hopefully chuckle at themselves in retrospect.  Before he got hurt, he was mentioned in the same breath as Jimmy Butler and Paul George, and (from potentially faulty recollection) was ranked higher by SI and ESPN than Kyrie Irving.

I am not quite sure what to think of Hayward. He has great games like the Minnesota game back in early December, the Philly game in February and the Golden State game this month and you think "wow, he really is that good!" But then he has other games where you're watching and see nothing more than a role player. Many use the injury excuse to his defense, but if he's still getting over his injury, how come he's played so well in a handful of games.

By the way, you're right, he was ranked by ahead of Kyrie by SI and ESPN before the 2017-2018 season began. Trying to figure out how that happened.

So this sort-of becomes a Jaylen (or Smart) vs Hayward thing moving forward since Tatum would be involved in both deals. I think Hayward still has a lot of potential to return to form, but if I were to rank the 3 in who I would want on the team moving forward with AD, Kyrie, and Horford, I would probably go:

1) Brown
2) Hayward
3) Smart

They are all VERY close in my opinion, but 'good' Jaylen is so dynamic on both sides of the ball and now seems able to buy in to any role Brad has him playing.

I still assume the deal will be Tatum/Smart, though so hopefully we can move forward with both. And, I realize it is not noted in this post, but losing Smart will be a HUGE bummer if it happens.

Smart would be a terrible loss.

Luckily there are dudes and gals that get paid tonnes of money to figure stuff out.

I think Jaylen is safe no matter what.

I think Tatum is most likely gone, it is just very unfortunate that there really doesnt seem to be any logical way to complete a trade without involving smart.

Ball was dropped earlier this season with not making a trade for a contract. Same with not using the MLE.

But

Why couldnt Rozier be signed and trade to a team under the cap that wants him (Orlando for example) and that allows Orlando the shed a contract they dont want.

IE: Boston signs rozier to a 3 year starting at 16 mill per season contract. Orlando then trades Boston Markelle Fultz or DJ Augustine and Fraser Jr. for the freshly signed Rozier and a second rounder 2019 and 2020. Orlando gets the guy they wanted, Boston gets assets to use in a Davis trade, orlando gets 2 second rounders for their help.

Boston now as a 7-8 million dollar contract to use in a davis trade.

Lets say DJ Augustine is the player who is traded to the Celtics.

Tatum - 7.83
DJ Augustine - 7.25
Robert Williams - 1.93752
Yabuselle - 3.11724
Walt Fraser Jr - 1.416852
Sacramento Pick 14th - 2.4118
LAC Pick 18th - 1.9643
Boston pick 2020 - no value

Total Outgoing Salary - 25,927,712 *1.25 + 100,000
 = 32,509,640
Davis Salary - 27,093,018 *1.15 trade kicker
 = 31,156,970

Legal Trade.
If you trade for a player, you can trade him by himself immediately but you can't trade him with other players for some time (3 months?).  It would need to be worked as a 3 team trade but I'm not sure if that is feasible with Rozier as a sign and trade.  In any case doing a sign and trade with Rozier is extremely unlikely.

The hypothetical would have to be a 3 team deal.
It is a legal deal. as far as I know there is no reason it wouldnt work.

Rozier S&T to Orlando 16 mill first year salary

Augustine
Fraser
Tatum
Yabusele
Williams
Sac Pick Signed
LAC Pick Signed
Boston 2020 pick
To NOP

Davis to Boston

One issue I have with this might be actually finding a team that wants to dump salary.  I struggle thinking a team like Orlando would want to dump Fultz or Augstine.  Fultz because they just traded for him as a project, and Augstine because he's not a bad contract.   Augstine's a productive player and could be a good veteran backup for Rozier and he'll only make $7.25m for 1 more year.  That's not a bad price for a backup PG, considering Smart got $13m (and was supposed to be a backup), Schroder is getting $15m, Patty Mills $12.5m, Dinwiddle $11m,Dellavedo $9.5m, VanFleet $9m, Rondo $9m, Shaun Livingston $8m, Galloway $7m, Tony Parker $5m, Beverley $5m.  So Augstine's $7.25m seems on the lower end of what an aspiring playoff team might spend on a competent backup.  It's either that or rolling the dice on a possibly washed up veteran or journeyman scrub no other teams want for the minimum or hope a rookie contract can handle the role.

Not familiar with every team, but don't think teams are looking to dump $7m-$10m contracts, those are value contracts now.  The contracts teams want to dump are your $15m-20m+, your Chandlar Parsons, Nic Batums, Ryan Andersons, etc.  And NOP doesn't want to take those on.

There's going to be a ton of cap room next year, so finding a team that wants to sign Rozier and dump small salary may be tough.   Or the C's might just have to offer more compensation, like offering Orlando a 1st instead of two 2nds if the team wants to keep Smart.

There are team out there. Especially if it allows them the opportunity for a max player on top of it.

If a team had say 40 mill in capspace...they could add rozier, dump half his contract, and still have money for another big player.

I think Orlando will look to fultz as primary backup next season and if nothing else a replacement can be had for far less than 7 mill per season

« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2019, 07:01:37 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

Irving
Smart
Brown
Horford
Davis

That's a good team, but we're better with Hayward.  Maybe he never fully recovers, but if he does a lot of folks will hopefully chuckle at themselves in retrospect.  Before he got hurt, he was mentioned in the same breath as Jimmy Butler and Paul George, and (from potentially faulty recollection) was ranked higher by SI and ESPN than Kyrie Irving.

I am not quite sure what to think of Hayward. He has great games like the Minnesota game back in early December, the Philly game in February and the Golden State game this month and you think "wow, he really is that good!" But then he has other games where you're watching and see nothing more than a role player. Many use the injury excuse to his defense, but if he's still getting over his injury, how come he's played so well in a handful of games.

By the way, you're right, he was ranked by ahead of Kyrie by SI and ESPN before the 2017-2018 season began. Trying to figure out how that happened.

So this sort-of becomes a Jaylen (or Smart) vs Hayward thing moving forward since Tatum would be involved in both deals. I think Hayward still has a lot of potential to return to form, but if I were to rank the 3 in who I would want on the team moving forward with AD, Kyrie, and Horford, I would probably go:

1) Brown
2) Hayward
3) Smart

They are all VERY close in my opinion, but 'good' Jaylen is so dynamic on both sides of the ball and now seems able to buy in to any role Brad has him playing.

I still assume the deal will be Tatum/Smart, though so hopefully we can move forward with both. And, I realize it is not noted in this post, but losing Smart will be a HUGE bummer if it happens.

Luckily there are dudes and gals that get paid tonnes of money to figure stuff out.

I think Tatum is most likely gone, it is just very unfortunate that there really doesnt seem to be any logical way to complete a trade without involving smart.

Ball was dropped earlier this season with not making a trade for a contract. Same with not using the MLE.

But

Why couldnt Rozier be signed and trade to a team under the cap that wants him (Orlando for example) and that allows Orlando the shed a contract they dont want.

IE: Boston signs rozier to a 3 year starting at 16 mill per season contract. Orlando then trades Boston Markelle Fultz or DJ Augustine and Fraser Jr. for the freshly signed Rozier and a second rounder 2019 and 2020. Orlando gets the guy they wanted, Boston gets assets to use in a Davis trade, orlando gets 2 second rounders for their help.

Tatum - 7.83
DJ Augustine - 7.25
Yabuselle - 3.11724
LAC Pick 18th - 1.9643

= 32,509,640
 = 31,156,970

Legal Trade.
If you trade for a player, you can trade him by himself immediately but you can't trade him with other players for some time (3 months?).  It would need to be worked as a 3 team trade but I'm not sure if that is feasible with Rozier as a sign and trade.  In any case doing a sign and trade with Rozier is extremely unlikely.

Augustine
Fraser
Tatum
Yabusele
Williams
Sac Pick Signed
LAC Pick Signed
Boston 2020 pick
To NOP

Davis to Boston

One issue I have with this might be actually finding a team that wants to dump salary.  I struggle thinking a team like Orlando would want to dump Fultz or Augstine.  Fultz because they just traded for him as a project, and Augstine because he's not a bad contract.   Augstine's a productive player and could be a good veteran backup for Rozier and he'll only make $7.25m for 1 more year.  That's not a bad price for a backup PG, considering Smart got $13m (and was supposed to be a backup), Schroder is getting $15m, Patty Mills $12.5m, Dinwiddle $11m,Dellavedo $9.5m, VanFleet $9m, Rondo $9m, Shaun Livingston $8m, Galloway $7m, Tony Parker $5m, Beverley $5m.  So Augstine's $7.25m seems on the lower end of what an aspiring playoff team might spend on a competent backup.  It's either that or rolling the dice on a possibly washed up veteran or journeyman scrub no other teams want for the minimum or hope a rookie contract can handle the role.

Not familiar with every team, but don't think teams are looking to dump $7m-$10m contracts, those are value contracts now.  The contracts teams want to dump are your $15m-20m+, your Chandlar Parsons, Nic Batums, Ryan Andersons, etc.  And NOP doesn't want to take those on.

There's going to be a ton of cap room next year, so finding a team that wants to sign Rozier and dump small salary may be tough.   Or the C's might just have to offer more compensation, like offering Orlando a 1st instead of two 2nds if the team wants to keep Smart.

There are team out there. Especially if it allows them the opportunity for a max player on top of it.

If a team had say 40 mill in capspace...they could add rozier, dump half his contract, and still have money for another big player.

I think Orlando will look to fultz as primary backup next season and if nothing else a replacement can be had for far less than 7 mill per season

I'm saying Orlando ain't it, and gave my reasons.  They have no reason to want to dump Augustine.  Rozier+Augustine > Rozier + 2nds, especially when they're trying to be a playoff team.

Don't just say teams are out there without giving an example.  Sure theoretically a team could want to sign a max player + Rozier, but I'm struggling to think of a team that actually exists, as I don't think the teams that want Rozier are expecting to land a max free agent as well.

I will say it again, I don't see a lot of players in that $7m-$10m salary range that teams are looking to dump, those are value contracts in the current NBA.  C's may have to give up something to get a contract like that to use in a Davis trade.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2019, 07:39:00 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

Irving
Smart
Brown
Horford
Davis

1) Brown
2) Hayward
3) Smart

But

Tatum - 7.83
DJ Augustine - 7.25
Yabuselle - 3.11724
LAC Pick 18th - 1.9643

= 32,509,640
 = 31,156,970

Legal Trade.

Augustine
Fraser
Tatum
Yabusele
Williams
Sac Pick Signed
LAC Pick Signed
Boston 2020 pick
To NOP

Davis to Boston

I'm saying Orlando ain't it, and gave my reasons.  They have no reason to want to dump Augustine.  Rozier+Augustine > Rozier + 2nds, especially when they're trying to be a playoff team.

Don't just say teams are out there without giving an example.  Sure theoretically a team could want to sign a max player + Rozier, but I'm struggling to think of a team that actually exists, as I don't think the teams that want Rozier are expecting to land a max free agent as well.

I will say it again, I don't see a lot of players in that $7m-$10m salary range that teams are looking to dump, those are value contracts in the current NBA.  C's may have to give up something to get a contract like that to use in a Davis trade.

Orlando is absolutely a team.

Without a doubt.

Rozier, plus fultz, plus a vet min <2 mill per year PG is equal to but less expensive than Rozier, Fultz AND Augustine. Orlando has tough decisions to make financially, and adding a starting PG is a top priority as well. This essentially gives them rozier as a starter on an only 8 mill salary cost for the first year.

I can see the clippers being interested, the Lakers being interested, Memphis being interested (once they trade Conley), NYK will be interested, Potentially Brooklyn if Russell leaves, Phoenix if they miss out on Morant....Just to name a few teams off the top of my head.

« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2019, 07:39:05 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Man this summer I imagine the blog will have connection problems daily because of the Anthony Davis sweepstakes and rumors all May-early July  :P

I read somewhere that Boston has the 3rd best odds to acquire him behind New York and Portland. Lakers are at 4th not too far behind. They mention Philadelphia, Toronto and Washington as "dark horses" but not likely. The rental status part though will also be a big factor in all this and NYK + LAL have big advantages there.

Portland's an interesting name but the logic was, if Portland has another frustrating playoff exit but want to continue trying to contend, they could move on from McCollum, a few other assets and try for AD to pair him with Lillard and others. If Pelicans want to semi-contend (not just go into a long term rebuild), this could work for them too potentially.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 07:50:13 PM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2019, 08:23:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If a team with cap space wants Rozier and Rozier wants to play for that team, why do a sign and trade? To stop Boston from just matching the offer and keeping Rozier at silly money? Yeah, that isn't happening

« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2019, 08:51:05 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
If a team with cap space wants Rozier and Rozier wants to play for that team, why do a sign and trade? To stop Boston from just matching the offer and keeping Rozier at silly money? Yeah, that isn't happening
still might want to move a contract to free up more space or just get rid of a player. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2019, 09:53:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
still might want to move a contract to free up more space or just get rid of a player.
They can do that by just signing Rozier and then salary dumping that player and get a second round pick. Clearly Rozier and a pick is better than just Rozier.

Again, no reason to do a sign and trade. Not for Orlando. Why? To simply help the Celtics? They're in business to help Orlando not Boston.

Also, my guess is Orlando could land Rozier for less money for more years than the amount Boston would want/need a S&Ted Rozier to be.

« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2019, 09:59:54 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
They can do that by just signing Rozier and then salary dumping that player and get a second round pick. Clearly Rozier and a pick is better than just Rozier.

Again, no reason to do a sign and trade. Not for Orlando. Why? To simply help the Celtics? They're in business to help Orlando not Boston.

Also, my guess is Orlando could land Rozier for less money for more years than the amount Boston would want/need a S&Ted Rozier to be.
if you salary dump a player you usually have to give up an asset unless the player himself is an asset.  I was talking about a bad contract.  A JR Smith type contract that while is expiring (or only partially guaranteed) is a player you don't want to pay but you can't get anything for.  Like say Timofey Mozgov who is just sitting there on Orlando's books next summer.  So say Vucevic makes it known he isn't coming back (so the Magic end up with cap space), the C's could sign and trade Rozier to the Magic and send Mozgov's big salary to the Pelicans, which opens a lot more options for the Pelicans and C's in putting together a nice package.

« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2019, 10:24:15 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

George was traded for Oladipo and Sabonis.  While Tatum might someday be as good or better than Oladipo, he isn't at this point and may never be.  Now Tatum is a better prospect than Saric and Covington, but that isn't exactly the same situation given Butler wasn't in Minnesota very long and was burning bridges like crazy.

In addition, neither George nor Butler is as good as Davis.  Not even close.

But it's not about what Oladipo has turned into. It's about what he was when he was traded for. For OKC, he averaged 15.9/2.6ast/4.3 reb on 44/36/75 splits. Not bad at all, but not exactly a world beater. Granted he has flourished into a star after the trade, and I'm sure it's hard for guards to play next to WB, but his current state is meaningless when looking at the circumstances of that PG trade.

I agree that Tatum has a good chance to never be Dipo's level (just to make that clear. )
His totals were lower across the board (though he upticked his shooting) his 1 season in OKC.  Players don't just get worse.  It was pretty clear that playing with a ball dominant guard like Westbrook affected his totals.  He obviously took a leap as the #1 guy in Indiana, but he was showing steady growth all along so it really shouldn't have been that much of a surprise.  I mean this year he was averaging less than 19 a game before he got hurt as Indiana had a deeper team and he scaled back his shooting for more passing (big jump in apg). 

And they also got Sabonis in the trade who showed enough as a rookie in OKC that what he has become already in just his 3rd year shouldn't have come as a surprise. 

So the Pacers got a very good younger player in Dipo and a very good prospect in Sabonis, for George, who was coming off a season when he didn't make an All NBA Team in a season when he was healthy (so he wasn't a top 15 player at least statistically - I'd argue he was, but he  didn't make an All NBA team).

Davis is a better player than George (and a much better one when you consider the time of the trade).  This summer, Davis will be almost a full year younger than George was at the time of the trade as well. 

So what I'm saying, is Tatum has to be included in the deal and Boston shouldn't hesitate at all to include him.  That should be the expected value based on prior trades for top tier players.  And that is why the Lakers couldn't get it done, they just don't have the necessary value in assets to have gotten it done.

« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2019, 10:45:14 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I think a lot depends on who gets the #1 pick (Zion) and what direction that team goes in. For example, if Phoenix lands it, do they deal that + a few more things for AD and team him up with Booker and company? Knicks can obviously pull off a trade then. Unfortunately so could the Lakers if the lottery goes there way (ugh). Maybe Sixers package Simmons + picks if they have an early playoff exit and want to re-tool their roster a bit? Wizards with Beal + picks? Blazers with McCollum (or Lilliard) + picks?

Certainly a lot of possibilities. Something tells me he lands with either Washington, Portland or New York. Portland IF they have another frustrating, early playoff exit.

I would think Washington would want to pair AD with Beal. I can possibly see Portland. Maybe Nurkic, Harkless and several picks so they can pair up AD with Lillard and McCollum. No way NO trades him to Philly for Ben Simmons (I am not a Simmons fan.) Maybe Davis for Embiid straight up and Philly pairs up Davis with Simmons and a re-signed Butler and Harris. Would be bad news for us.

« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2019, 10:54:45 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I think a lot depends on who gets the #1 pick (Zion) and what direction that team goes in. For example, if Phoenix lands it, do they deal that + a few more things for AD and team him up with Booker and company? Knicks can obviously pull off a trade then. Unfortunately so could the Lakers if the lottery goes there way (ugh). Maybe Sixers package Simmons + picks if they have an early playoff exit and want to re-tool their roster a bit? Wizards with Beal + picks? Blazers with McCollum (or Lilliard) + picks?

Certainly a lot of possibilities. Something tells me he lands with either Washington, Portland or New York. Portland IF they have another frustrating, early playoff exit.

I think Phoenix keeps the pick if it's #1. I think most teams keep the pick, actually. The only team I think makes that trade is the Knicks - they know AD is interested in resigning.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2019, 11:17:37 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

I think Phoenix keeps the pick if it's #1. I think most teams keep the pick, actually. The only team I think makes that trade is the Knicks - they know AD is interested in resigning.

I'd think it depends on if the Knicks think they can get at least one max free agent. Otherwise I'd think they'd want to keep their pick. I am sure they'll have a better idea by the time the draft rolls around, even though free agency doesn't being 'til July 1st. I am sure teams will "have their ear to the ground" before then.