Author Topic: Bronny James has cardiac arrest - is recovering  (Read 41187 times)

Re: Bronny James has cardiac arrest - is recovering
« Reply #120 on: April 08, 2024, 11:31:39 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
What rule is being broken?

Is there are a rule that is being broken? Or do people think there should be a rule created to stop this from happening?

I am not sure what rule is being broken here.

A player under contract with one team can not negotiate with another team about future contracts. This is like the most basic rule of tampering. In this instance, Lebron can’t tell Philly he will sign with them for cheap if they draft his son. It would be a very clear cut example of tampering. What in the world is going on with this thread lol.

LeBron has not negotiated with any team. He has had no contact with Philadelphia. He has had no direct contact with any individual team. There is no tampering.

That's the thing.  Lebron has just made public statements that he'd like to play with his son someday or even just play against him if necessary.  But, ideally, pull a Griffey and play with him.  Can't fault the guy one bit for wanting to play with his son.

He's got a player option for next season.  He has until the end of June to pick it up.  If he opts out, he's a free agent.

Circling back to what I said pages ago,  what if you're Philly and you have a mid to late 1st rounder.  You feel like you're one piece away from being a title contender or thinking that you're winning a title.  Based on Lebron's comments from the past, wouldn't you seriously consider taking Bronny if you think that'll be enough to bring in Lebron and make you a legit title contender?  First rounders have certainly been spent on worse over the years. 

Would the league really step in on that or launch some tampering investigation based on Lebron's statements about wanting to play with his kid?  Doubtful.
I personally think the league would launch an investigation if Philly drafted Bronny 20th or whatever. He is not an NBA prospect right now and it would be like drafting maverick carter. This isn’t going to happen though so we will never have this proven. If he is taken in the second round, especially late the league would let it go because teams take deep projects all the time over there and it doesn’t come with years of guaranteed money. I don’t know what to say other than that there is a reason Bronny hasn’t been in a first round mock in many months.

Investigated for over-drafting a guy?

Obviously, the underlying idea here would be based on Lebron joining his son but I don't see why the league would launch any sort of investigation here unless Lebron explicitly said something stupid while still under contract with the Lakers.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #121 on: April 08, 2024, 12:51:25 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
What rule is being broken?

Is there are a rule that is being broken? Or do people think there should be a rule created to stop this from happening?

I am not sure what rule is being broken here.

A player under contract with one team can not negotiate with another team about future contracts. This is like the most basic rule of tampering. In this instance, Lebron can’t tell Philly he will sign with them for cheap if they draft his son. It would be a very clear cut example of tampering. What in the world is going on with this thread lol.

LeBron has not negotiated with any team. He has had no contact with Philadelphia. He has had no direct contact with any individual team. There is no tampering.

That's the thing.  Lebron has just made public statements that he'd like to play with his son someday or even just play against him if necessary.  But, ideally, pull a Griffey and play with him.  Can't fault the guy one bit for wanting to play with his son.

He's got a player option for next season.  He has until the end of June to pick it up.  If he opts out, he's a free agent.

Circling back to what I said pages ago,  what if you're Philly and you have a mid to late 1st rounder.  You feel like you're one piece away from being a title contender or thinking that you're winning a title.  Based on Lebron's comments from the past, wouldn't you seriously consider taking Bronny if you think that'll be enough to bring in Lebron and make you a legit title contender?  First rounders have certainly been spent on worse over the years. 

Would the league really step in on that or launch some tampering investigation based on Lebron's statements about wanting to play with his kid?  Doubtful.
I personally think the league would launch an investigation if Philly drafted Bronny 20th or whatever. He is not an NBA prospect right now and it would be like drafting maverick carter. This isn’t going to happen though so we will never have this proven. If he is taken in the second round, especially late the league would let it go because teams take deep projects all the time over there and it doesn’t come with years of guaranteed money. I don’t know what to say other than that there is a reason Bronny hasn’t been in a first round mock in many months.

Investigated for over-drafting a guy?

Obviously, the underlying idea here would be based on Lebron joining his son but I don't see why the league would launch any sort of investigation here unless Lebron explicitly said something stupid while still under contract with the Lakers.

It would be an overdraft and then Lebron signing there for low money. This would be quite similar to what happened with harden taking a pay cut and then the 76ers signing house and Tucker.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34314466/sources-nba-investigating-philadelphia-76ers-possible-tampering-centered-james-harden-pj-tucker-danuel-house-deals

Like I said though this is not going to happen. I would be very surprised if he even stayed in the draft. And absoutely floored if he got drafted in the first. I am wondering if some of the pushback on this is people not realizing how bad his freshman year was, not realizing how often college players declare themselves eligible for the draft and return to college with the news rules (it used to be much more strict), unfamiliarity with the CBA and first round contracts or what. Not a single draft expert has him going in the first round. Its a weird group think conspiracy theory going here to think this is something that has any reasonable likelyhood of happening.   
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 01:05:48 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #122 on: April 10, 2024, 01:06:36 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #123 on: April 10, 2024, 06:48:24 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
Sorry for the nitpick, but wondering if this thread can have a change of title?

« Reply #124 on: April 10, 2024, 07:46:20 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Good read here.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2024/4/10/24126177/bronny-james-nba-draft-scouting-report

Funny this article confirmed what I said earlier that he is not really 6’4 and closer to 6’2. I get a lot of stuff wrong but I’ve been nailing the bronny takes this whole thread.

« Reply #125 on: April 10, 2024, 07:59:29 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552
If Bronny's goal is to make the NBA, he ought to stay in the draft, go to the g league and get a great shooting coach.  If he goes back to college, he won't have as much time to focus on basketball and wherever he goes the college coach will be a lot more focused on winning than Bronny's personal development. 

« Reply #126 on: April 10, 2024, 08:12:18 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552
Rob Parker saying that NBA Draft this year may be Bronny's only option of making it to the NBA because he cannot afford to return to college and risk having another bad season. Another season like this one would end his NBA dreams. But if he goes now, someone may take a shot on him.

Interesting viewpoint.

He would probably make more money in NIL than as a second round pick in the 50’s (which even then would not be on merit). I don’t know if the people saying this stuff realize he was a historically bad shooter his freshman year. You can’t do that as an undersized guard.
Do you really think money is a concern?  He's listed at 6'4" 210lbs.  That isn't undersized for a guard.  If Lebron is serious about taking a significant discount in order to play on the same team with his son, some teams (e.g. Sixers and Clips) should consider using a late 1st on Bronny.

I think he is closer to 6’3 I actually saw him at a game In person and he is not a big dude. He also is not a point guard he plays more like a shooting guard/small forward he is objectively small for how he plays. Dont really think this part is debatable. You also glossed over the most key part that he is a horrible shooter which is a problem for a guard of any size (27% from college three is like Andre Drummond shooting threes who shot 29% the one year he shot 1.5 per game.) And yea like I said it would probably warrant an investigation from the league if the lakers or Philly wasted a first round pick on him to get Lebron for cheap. That is the definition of rule break and would warrant a penalty on par with what the wolves got for Joe smith. I’m surprised anyone that is an nba fan would want a team to draft a guy that is not a top 100 prospect right now for the draft and giving him multiple guaranteed years of salary to get another star player at a discount. That’s just terrible for the league and also humiliating to Bronny to be used as a prop for that.

For all the reasons I have mentioned he probably won’t enter the draft but it is very baffling to me the amount of people that think teams just draft there friends homies and punt a first round pick. With the cba the first round picks are as valuable as ever. The league also wants to be run in a respectable manner.
If Lebron doesn't pick up his option and becomes a free agent and continues to say he'd take less money to play with Bronny, what rule is being broken if a team goes by his public statements and drafts Bronny?  Even if there is a bit of communication through the agent, how is the NBA going to prove it?  Late 1st round picks aren't that valuable.  Would it make you feel better if Bronny is taken in the 2nd like Giannis' brothers? 

I don't want it to happen but I'm not going to be surprised if it does happen.  Desperate team owners will do what it takes to win a championship.

Do you really not understand how a player saying I will opt out and take an under value contract with your team if you draft my son while he is under contract with the lakers breaks like 15 rules? Come on tazz this is objectively getting pretty dumb here.

And yes I have said it would still stink, but it is least tolerable if someone takes a flier on him late in the second because teams do waste those picks or take fliers on foreign players that may never come over. They are not even guaranteed money. The first round though is absolutely ridiculous and like I said would warrant an investigation.

It’s not the teams fault that Lebron is running his mouth.  If someone would be punished the league can only look at Lebron unless they can prove a private conversation took place with one of these teams.  Doubtful any kind of tampering investigation would take place, Lebrons mission to play with his son has been common knowledge for years now. 

Players conspiring to play together is so much worse than this IMO, and the league has barely acknowledged it.

That being said, If the kid gets drafted this year it’ll be embarrassing for Bronny and the league though IMO

Kind of baffled by the amount of people that aren’t getting what’s illegal here/basic cba stuff. Bronny is not a top 100 prospect and seems very unlikely to be an nba player. If you draft him in the first round (and some of these teams being mentioned like Philly or lakers) will likely have a pick at 18-22. Those picks come with guaranteed money of 6-9 million over 2-3years. For a team like Philly counting every single dollar to get max cap space or dealing with luxury tax they aren’t going to commit up to 9 million dollars without some assurance that Lebron will sign there for cheap, which is illegal because Lebron is under contract with lakers.  This is why the league would absolutely investigate it. This really isn’t hard.
Please point to the rule preventing Lebron from saying, which I think he already has said or at least implied, that he'll take less to play on the same team with Bronny.  Please point to the rule that prevents Lebron from taking less than he is worth to play wherever he wants.  The league can investigate whatever they want but it only matters what they can prove.  The league investigated Harden taking less to sign with the Sixers but couldn't prove there was any illegal deal in place. 

I said late 1st not mid 1st.  I'd envision the Sixers trading down.  Or like the Lakers and Clippers who don't have 1st rounders, they could trade into the late 1st.  However, the Sixers have the 41st pick so they could just use it on Bronny.

If you are going to move the goalposts and say whether they will be able to prove it. That is a different conversation. But I pointed out why it is clearly illegal and you said it wouldn’t even get an investigation so you are back pedaling faster than Mac jones behind our o line last year. (Which I get cause your original comments were clearly ridiculous). I would be very happy to make a massive Tommy point bet he won’t get drafted in the first. I don’t think he will even be in this draft. Just would like people to have a fundamental understanding of basic cba stuff and how contracts work.
I didn't move the goalposts and I don't think I ever said there wouldn't be an investigation.  I assume by my original comments you are referring to reply #97.  If so, I clearly say how is the NBA going to prove it even if there is a bit of tampering? 

« Reply #127 on: April 10, 2024, 08:35:52 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
If Bronny's goal is to make the NBA, he ought to stay in the draft, go to the g league and get a great shooting coach.  If he goes back to college, he won't have as much time to focus on basketball and wherever he goes the college coach will be a lot more focused on winning than Bronny's personal development.

I was thinking that if he’s drafted (probably 2nd round) he’ll spend most of his 1st and possibly 2nd years in the G-league learning to shoot. Otherwise he’s just a shorter Springer or Thybulle type player.

Even if LeBron joins up to play with him, it would only be for a few games because he should spend most of his time developing or his career will be limited.

« Reply #128 on: April 11, 2024, 01:36:55 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Rob Parker saying that NBA Draft this year may be Bronny's only option of making it to the NBA because he cannot afford to return to college and risk having another bad season. Another season like this one would end his NBA dreams. But if he goes now, someone may take a shot on him.

Interesting viewpoint.

He would probably make more money in NIL than as a second round pick in the 50’s (which even then would not be on merit). I don’t know if the people saying this stuff realize he was a historically bad shooter his freshman year. You can’t do that as an undersized guard.
Do you really think money is a concern?  He's listed at 6'4" 210lbs.  That isn't undersized for a guard.  If Lebron is serious about taking a significant discount in order to play on the same team with his son, some teams (e.g. Sixers and Clips) should consider using a late 1st on Bronny.

Tazz I’m not trying to give ya hard time here but you were clearly wrong with this and I told you he was undersized. Article says he isn’t really 6’4 and is 6’2 and he is a shooting guard. Own it and we move on

I’m seen this guy play 3 times living in pac 12 country and going to the pac 12 tourney. You go back to beginning of season when Giovanni had him as a lottery pick and I explained at the time why it was ridiculous (and was obviously right). Sometimes people know a bit more if they have more of a chance to watch a guy.. I’ve been right in all of this and I really don’t think I’m gonna be wrong for the first time along with every draft expert in the country by him being a first round pick this year.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 02:02:11 AM by celticsclay »

« Reply #129 on: April 11, 2024, 08:14:58 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I was thinking that if he’s drafted (probably 2nd round) he’ll spend most of his 1st and possibly 2nd years in the G-league learning to shoot. Otherwise he’s just a shorter Springer or Thybulle type player.

Even if LeBron joins up to play with him, it would only be for a few games because he should spend most of his time developing or his career will be limited.
Is he that good of a defender? I hadn't heard that. Both of those guys were drafted in the 1st round (28th and 20th).

« Reply #130 on: April 11, 2024, 11:09:47 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1552
Bronny is an excellent defender, he is just small so really can only guard PG.  Springer and Thybulle are big enough to guard multiple positions. 

Bronny's game is very similar in style and skillet to his father, he just is no where near as big and athletic, which is why he struggles.  For as good as Lebron Sr. was, even as a rookie, it took him years to develop a consistent shooting touch and to hone and focus his talent. He was just so lifted athletically he could get by until the skills caught up to the physical gifts. Bronny just doesn't have the same physical gifts his dad has.  He has skill and instincts, he needs time to hone them to fit his frame.  That is why for years I've said Bryce is the better prospect. He is much closer to their dad physically.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #131 on: April 11, 2024, 11:10:02 AM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
Good read here.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2024/4/10/24126177/bronny-james-nba-draft-scouting-report

Funny this article confirmed what I said earlier that he is not really 6’4 and closer to 6’2. I get a lot of stuff wrong but I’ve been nailing the bronny takes this whole thread.

I just read that article and it in fact, does not confirm that Bronny is 6’2” instead of 6’4”.

An unnamed GM speculates that he’s closer to 6’2”.
USC lists Bronny James at 6-foot-4, but it’s believed he’s closer to 6-foot-2.

Later that same unnamed source says this:
Size is really the only issue for him on defense,” said the GM. “If he was actually 6-foot-4 or even a bit bigger, he’d have really excellent potential.

He has no idea how tall Bronny actually is. He may be closer to 6’2” but at this time that is not confirmed.

« Reply #132 on: April 11, 2024, 11:16:12 AM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown

Is he that good of a defender? I hadn't heard that. Both of those guys were drafted in the 1st round (28th and 20th).

He’s the same type of defender, in that he’s got quick hands and excellent reads and reactions. He gets a lot of steals and chase down blocks. However, he’s shorter, which I mentioned, and I don’t believe he has their length either. Thybulle is very long.

This article quoted earlier mentions how good of a defender he is in comparison to how bad he is at shooting from anywhere on the court: https://www.theringer.com/nba/2024/4/10/24126177/bronny-james-nba-draft-scouting-report

« Reply #133 on: April 11, 2024, 11:26:55 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412

He’s the same type of defender, in that he’s got quick hands and excellent reads and reactions. He gets a lot of steals and chase down blocks. However, he’s shorter, which I mentioned, and I don’t believe he has their length either. Thybulle is very long.

This article quoted earlier mentions how good of a defender he is in comparison to how bad he is at shooting from anywhere on the court: https://www.theringer.com/nba/2024/4/10/24126177/bronny-james-nba-draft-scouting-report

De'Anthony Melton as a comp?

Similar size. 6-2 combo guard. Cannot really play PG. Dodgy offensive player.

« Reply #134 on: April 11, 2024, 11:57:19 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Good read here.

I just read that article and it in fact, does not confirm that Bronny is 6’2” instead of 6’4”.

An unnamed GM speculates that he’s closer to 6’2”.
USC lists Bronny James at 6-foot-4, but it’s believed he’s closer to 6-foot-2.

Later that same unnamed source says this:
Size is really the only issue for him on defense,” said the GM. “If he was actually 6-foot-4 or even a bit bigger, he’d have really excellent potential.

He has no idea how tall Bronny actually is. He may be closer to 6’2” but at this time that is not confirmed.

I would say this confirms he is not 6’4. He may be 6’3 or 6’2 that is up for debate. Like I said I also saw him 3 times in person and he definitely didn’t look 6’4 either.