Author Topic: Scott Skiles makes Tobias Harris available?  (Read 17709 times)

Re: Scott Skiles makes Tobias Harris available?
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2015, 10:40:49 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Read an article a while ago that Philly is offering him the max. 

That'd be interesting.

PG - DeAngelo Russell
SG - Wroten
SF - Harris
PF - Noel
C - Embiid
... Plus I think they have four 1st round picks next season and Dario Saric.  Lots of assets to play with. 

But Orlando will match.

That lineup has a ton of potential...
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2015, 06:59:32 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2407
Skiles explained that Harris' playing time in Milwaukee was limited because he was 19 at the time and Mike Dunleavy and Luc Mbah A Moute were better options because of their advanced experience. Skiles said last week that he is looking forward to working again with Harris, a restricted free agent this summer. Magic GM Rob Hennigan reiterated last week that the team fully expects to retain the versatile forward this summer, meaning that Skiles and Harris will be reunited.

"(The relationship) is very good and I was instrumental in drafting Tobias. I still communicate with Tobias," Skiles said. "He's a very, very good player and a very, very good human being and he plays hard. He was in a tough spot (in Milwaukee) because our organization was geared from the top on down to try and win that season and Tobias was 19 years old. " We have a great relationship."

Skiles said he was instrumental in Milwaukee acquiring Harris on draft night in 2011, and the two have remained in contact through the years via text messages.

http://www.nba.com/magic/news/magic-players-excited-about-skiles-coaching-team

Some other quotes

Ridnour said that Skiles also brings instant credibility as a coach because he is someone who played the game himself at the highest of levels. In 1990, when Skiles was a member of the Magic, he set the NBA record for assists in a game with 30. That mark still stands today, and Ridnour said there's not a point guard in the league who doesn't know that Skiles holds that record. That will help him, the veteran point guard said, when trying to relate to the likes of Elfrid Payton and Oladipo.

"For whatever reason, Scott Skiles was the best coach that I've played for," Gordon said not long after Skiles was named the Magic's new head coach on Friday.

"He played at the highest level and coached at the highest level, so everything that he is telling you, you know it has to be true. You have to respect him because he has done it. A lot of coaches get nervous and insecure about their jobs because they aren't good enough. That's not the case with Scott because he's done it all."
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 07:05:29 PM by Who »

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2015, 12:14:52 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I Think he signs with the knicks

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2015, 12:19:05 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

That'd be interesting.

PG - DeAngelo Russell
SG - Wroten
SF - Harris
PF - Noel
C - Embiid
... Plus I think they have four 1st round picks next season and Dario Saric.  Lots of assets to play with. 

But Orlando will match.

What's your user name on the Sixers forum?

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2015, 12:40:59 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2407
Harris, who was one of Orlando's most productive players last season, will become a restricted free agent on July 1 and Hennigan reiterated on Friday that "I don't see a scenario where he's not back with us."

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2015, 01:49:18 PM »

Offline Rick Robeys Return

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
  • The bringer of DJ
For the cost of Harris, I would much. much rather go after Khris Middleton. A better all around player, for sure...check out the comparative stats....

Middleton/ Harris
6.9 NET RATING-6.6
14.8 AST RATIO9.6
8.2 REB %10.3
53.0 EFG %51.2
11.6 PIE11.3

http://stats.nba.com/fantasycompare/#!/advanced?lineupIDs=203114&vsLineupIDs=202699

Middleton/ Harris
4.4 REB6.3
2.3 AST1.8
1.5 STL1
0.1 BLK0.5
0.4 BLKA1
13.4 PTS17.1

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2015, 02:08:46 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I don't get the allure with Harris. His productivity hasn't really gotten much better over the last few years, except for his 3 point shooting which could be a blip or a trend...no way to know right now.

If he stays at his current level, he's not much better than Jeff Green.

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2015, 02:59:41 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
I don't get the allure with Harris. His productivity hasn't really gotten much better over the last few years, except for his 3 point shooting which could be a blip or a trend...no way to know right now.

If he stays at his current level, he's not much better than Jeff Green.

He is 22 and puts up 17 points a game and has some versatility to play the 3 or 4.  I disagree that he has not developed, this year was his best season yet.

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2015, 03:07:35 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
http://www.basketballanalyticsbook.com/2015/05/06/the-nbas-most-underrated-player/

If you really don't 'get' the allure of Tobias Harris, this should help.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2015, 03:58:13 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
This chat makes it seem that Orlando may not match a max offer for Tobias.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/chat/nba-chat-with-alex-kennedy-6315/

Yeah, I think it’s possible that Orlando will let Tobias Harris walk if he gets a big enough offer sheet. His camp is pushing for a max deal, which he might get since the salary cap is set to rise next summer so every deal signed this offseason will look like a bargain. Still, I’ve heard the Magic may not match if Harris gets an offer sheet that large. His status is definitely up in the air. I know Rob Hennigan said they would match any offer that Harris receives, but that was to scare teams away from making a large offer (and saying things like that usually infuriates agents). His situation is definitely one to watch, as there’s no guarantee he’ll be back with Orlando.

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2015, 05:00:38 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
http://www.basketballanalyticsbook.com/2015/05/06/the-nbas-most-underrated-player/

If you really don't 'get' the allure of Tobias Harris, this should help.

TP great read. This chart blew my mind, going to start paying attention to what he does in the post that makes him so effective...

http://www.basketballanalyticsbook.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/post-ppp.jpg

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2015, 05:28:55 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
With news that Scott Skiles is the front runner to take over as head coach of the Magic, I read this report that states that Skiles and Harris had a bad relationship in Milwaukee.  Is this true, has anyone else heard this? 

I would be interested in Harris for $11-12 million a year as I like his upside and ability to play the 3 and the stretch 4 but I and just assumed Orlando would match any offer.  I can't find anything else out there about their bad relationship.

http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2015/05/23/toronto-raptors-rumors-scott-skiles-to-orlando-magic-will-free-up-tobias-harris/
Harris is getting the max. He is 22 years old and avgd 17 ppg this year.

The max is only 16 mil tho so with cap escalation Id do it anyway.

Do you think Orlando would match a max offer?  Did Skiles and Harris really have issues in Milwaukee?
i do think theyd match
Basketball Insiders' Steve Kyler, who's tied to ORL said on Tuesday's podcast that the Magic may not.  Says Magic take the Sam Presti approach to valuation (Hennigan was with OKC for 4 years) and they haven't tried to extend him.  Harris wants to be wanted, Skiles is not the issue, and Harris likes the ORL team which has a fair amount of potential.

Says some EC teams in the playoffs with lots of cap would be very interested and would overpay for Harris in expectation of the cap going up.  (If that's not Danny to a T, who is it?).  NYK not likely. LAL another possible player.

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2015, 06:30:55 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

That'd be interesting.

PG - DeAngelo Russell
SG - Wroten
SF - Harris
PF - Noel
C - Embiid

But Orlando will match.

What's your user name on the Sixers forum?

JulErvg6 ... I spend all my time complaining about Hinkie and talking about how Kelly Olynyk, Marcus Smart, Jared Sullinger and Boston's plethora of mediocre draft picks make them a formidable team of the future.

This is my avatar on that forum:

« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2015, 07:22:21 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
BR predicts Tobias Harris coming to the C's on a 4/54 contract. It's part of their which 2015 free agents will get crazy contracts.  Would be an interesting signing for sure.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2015, 09:20:22 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
BR predicts Tobias Harris coming to the C's on a 4/54 contract. It's part of their which 2015 free agents will get crazy contracts.  Would be an interesting signing for sure.

I just saw that, here is the link:  http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2494334-predicting-which-2015-nba-free-agents-will-get-the-craziest-contracts/page/5

Harris would be my number one target this offseason as he is only 22 and I love his versatility.  Adding Harris and Monroe would give the Celts a real young team that could compete immediately and for the next 10 years.  With the Brooklyn picks and all the other picks the Celts still would have the ability to add to their young core.

1-  Smart / IT
2-  AB / Young  / 16
3-  Harris / Turner /28
4-  Sully / KO / 33
5-  Monroe / Zeller

I'm starting to think more and more that Orlando might not match Harris's contract.